PDA

View Full Version : is miami florida a good place to live?

poochie
17-03-2004, 05:28
i am thinking about moving to orlando florida, but was wondering about the rent situation, for an apartment. is miami or orlando cheaper to rent an apartment? I also want my children to be safe too. many thanks ..............

esprit
17-03-2004, 06:39
I never felt as safe in Miami as I do in Orlando. Do you speak Spanish as I think it would be a big diadvantage not to if you lived in Miami where at least as many people are Spanish speakers as English.

steph_goodrum
17-03-2004, 11:48
We only spent a couple of days in Miami but with as a family and with a 13yr old daughter at the time we certainly didn't feel it was family orientated (mind you that was South Beach/Art Deco area) I don't know about other places.

poochie
18-03-2004, 02:16
thank you all for you advice
:)

Floridalover
18-03-2004, 12:12
I spent 2 years living in Miami. It's certainly different to the UK. Very hot and humid weather 6 months of the year (yes, it can get too much !) it's definately not cheap, especially for food shopping and almost seems cheaper to eat out. Miami is an extension of Cuba, not a bad thing, but be prepared to speak to lots of people who can't speak english, only spanish.It's expensive for renting and has some very run down areas, so your choice tends to be limited to South Beach, Brickle etc, all expensive areas (+$1000 per month for a small apartment)Orlando would definately be cheaper for renting purposes.
That all sounds very negative, but really it's quite a wonderful place too, colourful, vibrant, busy, and some very nice areas, plus its not far from the Keys, a personal favourite. I still have family there and tend to find myself heading down there for the weekend at least once a month as an extension to work duties in New York but would I move back.......probably not. South Floridians don't have any road manners:(
Hope that helps !

Floridalover
18-03-2004, 12:17
Something else to consider........Miami is a big place, there are nicer areas around it like Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Coral Gables, and South Miami that are more residential, less busy, and more pleasant in my opinion. If you do consider these areas and have to work in downtown Miami, be prepared to spend a lot of time in your car, everyone commutes by car as the transport infrastructure in Miami is not brilliant:)

18-03-2004, 13:55
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by poochie
i am thinking about moving to orlando florida, but was wondering about the rent situation, for an apartment. is miami or orlando cheaper to rent an apartment? I also want my children to be safe too. many thanks ..............
[/quote]

Hi,

I have spent a lot of time in Miami in the past and I must admit I would not like to live there, I did not feel safe and don't think you can compare Miami to Orlando as they are very different.

Great to visit though!

Julie R

Ray&Sarah
18-03-2004, 20:29
We stayed for a week in Miami, August 2002, and did not feel it had the same safe enviroment as Orlando. The virgin reps at our hotel also told us of a lot of no go areas, made you worry that you might take a wrong turn and end up in one of them!

poochie
20-03-2004, 03:33
thank you all for your advice, i think orlando would be best for me and my family, i will keep you updated god bless!

adh619
29-03-2004, 04:51
We have stayed in Miami several times - its expensive, it does not feel safe (though we have never had any problems) I agree there are much better places - i,e Ft lauderdale (South Beach is worth a look - but rentals are through the roof). What are you lookikng for &gt;

T&G