PDA

View Full Version : Hello all

Will
16-03-2004, 14:49
Hi everyone. I'm a newbie here; one reason I come here is that I'm looking into the possibility of going out to live in Florida. Sounds very exciting from some postings I see here. I would like to know more about a community called 'The Villages', could someone be so kind to tell me if this is the right forum to visit? Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Will :)

Carla
16-03-2004, 14:53
The Villages is not in the Central Florida area. From what I remember it is further north in Florida.

Will
16-03-2004, 15:04
Thanks Carla, so there won't be discussion of The Villages here, is it right? [msnembarrased] The Villages is the one I heard about, could someone recommend similar community around, thank you very much.

Regards,

Will

Beverley
16-03-2004, 15:17
Hi Will,
Welcome to the forum.

My in-laws have owned a home at The Villages for the last 5 years. They are keen golfers & they love it. They usually go from November until April.
You may already know that there is a website for The Villages, if not its..

www.thevillages.com

:)

blott
16-03-2004, 16:26
Hi Will

Welcome!

The Villages is a retirement community and you have to be over 50 or 55 to purchase a home there (just in case you didn't know that). It's a lovely place and there are loads of activities going on all the time.

Will
16-03-2004, 17:15
Thanks Blott & Beverly for your pointers. I do know the Villages is intended for the over 50 and up; I’d qualify soon[msncry]. As I’m rather ignorant about Florida property, I’d like to hear the wisdom of others on the forum.

While on the topic, are there similar communities in Florida (not necessarily for soon-to-retire)? Top on my dream list are safety and a friendly environment. I don’t fancy to be Clint Eastwood with his big gun.:)

Best regards,

Will

blott
16-03-2004, 18:11
I've just had a thought... I assume you're entitled to live in Florida (or USA) and have the necessary paperwork?

There's another community which is similar to the Villages but nearer to the Disney area if you're looking for somewhere to live (it's not short term rental) and is an 'active' retirement community(!) which is Solivita in Poinciana - website http://www.solivita.com

Other than that, if you're looking for residential, there are huge amounts of places to choose from! Try http://www.mybellalago.com for a start...

Will
16-03-2004, 18:22
Hi Blott,

No, I don’t have the required paperwork to stay in the US. In fact the reason I found this wonderful forum is doing a research on E2 visa. I would certainly look at the two sites you mentioned. Many many thanks.

Will

chrizzy100
16-03-2004, 19:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Will
Thanks Blott & Beverly for your pointers. I do know the Villages is intended for the over 50 and up; I?d qualify soon[msncry]. As I?m rather ignorant about Florida property, I?d like to hear the wisdom of others on the forum.

While on the topic, are there similar communities in Florida (not necessarily for soon-to-retire)? Top on my dream list are safety and a friendly environment. I don?t fancy to be Clint Eastwood with his big gun.:)

Best regards,

Will

[/quote]

If you don't have kids...then you'll have tons of great places to look at.....if you have kids.....then you have to look at schools first.....a lot of the schools are not that great.....

Will
16-03-2004, 19:48
Well, I suppose we're lucky in this sense. We don't have kids to worry about; my lovely wife's executive decision [msntongue].

Will