PDA

View Full Version : getting out of bed

marv
16-03-2004, 14:09
I know that my 2 ten year olds and 12 year old do not like to get out of bed. I am worried that this may effect our holiday if they wont get up. Has any of you had this problem with your children, or does this problem dissapear, when they no that they are going to the parks for the day. Any ideas or advice would be great.

Thanks Marv

DMC
16-03-2004, 14:45
Marv

Not having childern myself I can't speak from first hand experiance, but from fiends who do have kids, their problem has always been trying to keep them in bed, they are usually so excited and ready to go !!!!

If you do think that it might be problem, try and plan the day's activities the night before, say over dinner.

That way you can involve them in the discussions and get their appetite for the next day well and truly started.

I hope that you won't have too many problems, it's one thing not wanting to get up in the school holiday's in the UK and quite another when you have so much to do and see in Orlando.

Hope you all have great time.

fiona
16-03-2004, 14:57
Having 2 teenagers who have to be prised out of bed at midday if left to sleep on I have one answer, behave like a RSM (Regimental Sgt. Major) - I find this method particularly effective at getting up the sloths! (Loud shouts to wake them up and loud music and persistent nagging usually works.) amazingly enough when they had to be up for breakfast when we had a hotel holiday last year they managed it without aforementioned treatment.

marv
16-03-2004, 15:05
That was what i was hopeing to hear, I have a holiday plan and was going to read the children a bed time story of what we plan to do the next day, i may change that now to when we eat dinner, or they may not go to sleep. I agree that getting up for school, is completly different to going to mk for the day. It may turn out that they may have to wake me up.

16-03-2004, 15:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by marv
I know that my 2 ten year olds and 12 year old do not like to get out of bed. I am worried that this may effect our holiday if they wont get up. Has any of you had this problem with your children, or does this problem dissapear, when they no that they are going to the parks for the day. Any ideas or advice would be great.

Thanks Marv
[/quote]

Hi Marv,

I have 5 children ages 2, 6, 14, 19 and 20. With the younger ones the time change helps for the first few days, however we find the Sgt Major and day planning the day before helps, after all we always say to them who's the adult and who's the child and if they are not up and ready to go on time then we threaten them that the days activitives will be cancelled!!!!

I'm such a hard parent!! Joking of course, but I do think children need to know the boundaries and if you are not up and ready then you don't go end of story!!

Julie R

Gillian-B
16-03-2004, 22:41
Hi Marv. If you can keep your children up to close to their normal bedtime the first night, you may find that with the time difference, they'll be bouncing out of bed at 6am the next morning. I like my bed, and that's what happens to me! However, I don't have kids, so have no idea if this will work, but I'm sure the excitement of the place will do the trick if not [msnsmile2]

wilfy
18-03-2004, 02:02
Our daughter was of the same mode, what worked with her if she wouldn't get out of bed, was we deliberatly went shopping, coming back with some goodies that made her envious. Worked like magic after the 2nd time. Also if we spent a day doing a park, we made the next day a slobbing day, and only did something in the afternoon, so while the kids snoozed during the morning, us old un's had the pool to ourselves :D

chrisj
18-03-2004, 02:33
We never had a problem with ours, they were usually up before us adults

Nostromo
22-03-2004, 20:47
This might sound daft, but it isn't. An old and effective way of waking someone (young or old) happily and effectively is to exert gentle but gradually increasing pressure on the tragus. This is the little semi-circular flap of cartilage that is in front of the ear. Try it!

Pikey1999
23-03-2004, 00:11
Throw a bucket of water over them! [^] :D ;) [}:)]

firsttimer
24-03-2004, 01:41
I definitely think you mustn't let bedtimes slip. Last year in France we tended to let him stay up till we went to bed and he was hopeless in the morning.
How about a challenge for the first person in the pool (accompanied) in the morning, or fist one up gets to choose something like first ice cream stop.

Beverley
24-03-2004, 02:15
Nostromo,
I'm not sure that I am brave enough to
'exert gentle but gradually increasing pressure on the tragus'
belonging to my incredibly stroppy 16 year old son.

But I will try it & report back [msnscared]

george
24-03-2004, 02:32
Julie
You run each day , have five children.
First -
How did you find the time?
Second (back to the subject,well, sort of)-
It's not the kids you want to get out of bed, it's the other half!![msnwink]
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Julie R

Thanks Marv
[/quote]

Hi Marv,

I have 5 children ages 2, 6, 14, 19 and 20. With the younger ones the time change helps for the first few days, however we find the Sgt Major and day planning the day before helps, after all we always say to them who's the adult and who's the child and if they are not up and ready to go on time then we threaten them that the days activitives will be cancelled!!!!

I'm such a hard parent!! Joking of course, but I do think children need to know the boundaries and if you are not up and ready then you don't go end of story!!

Julie R
[/quote]

marv
24-03-2004, 14:50
Hi nostromus
Could you draw me a picture of where this tragus is, as i think i have pressed every part of the ear and still no success.[msnsmile2]
Thanks Marv

24-03-2004, 14:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by george
Julie
You run each day , have five children.
First -
How did you find the time?
Second (back to the subject,well, sort of)-
It's not the kids you want to get out of bed, it's the other half!![msnwink]
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Julie R

Thanks Marv
[/quote]

Hi Marv,

Julie R
[/quote]
[/quote]

George,

Add to that list I also am a Partner in a business with my hubby and do all the invoicing, emailing, booking keeping tax and VAT!!!!

Oh and I don't have any help in the home!!

And I want to own a villa in Florida and do all my own bookings etc - think I can manage it????

Just call me superwoman!!!

God I'm exhusted!!!

Julie R

P.S I get up at 6am and don't get to bed much before midnight!!

24-03-2004, 20:28
Come on George I'm waiting for one of your funny rsvp's!!!

Julie R