PDA

View Full Version : what do tourist from the uk think about florida?

winfie
16-03-2004, 12:01
Hello all!

I am doing a project on tourism from the uk to florida and am conducting a research. What is the first thing that comes to mind when tourist from the uk think about florida? What are the general feelings about florida? What other destinations might be prefered over florida and why?

thanks for your help!!

bellaepovera
16-03-2004, 12:16
The First thing I think about vacationing in Florida is Sun and Fun!!

Beverley
16-03-2004, 12:32
My first thoughts on Florida?

Blue Skys & Sunshine :D

Fun & Laughter :D

Shamu & The Dolphins:D

Water rides at Busch :D

White Sandy Beaches :D

Shopping!!! :D

LucyMike
16-03-2004, 12:43
and of course not forgetting Mickey Mouse ................ !!!!!:D:D:D

brizzle
16-03-2004, 12:44
I think of sun, theme parks, lots of food & shopping.
Other destinations, hmmm, tricky...I suppose the other place we look at when we go away is the Mediterranean area. It gives us the sunshine we want and the kids can enjoy themselves on the beach / by the pool. When the kids are old enough I'd like to do some farther flung places such as Australia.
At the moment Florida suits us fine as all four of us (30 year old, 28 year old, 4 year old, 1 year old) get a lot of enjoyment from it and you can't say that about many destinations.

Brizzle.

SteveW
16-03-2004, 13:16
There are thousands of up sides to Florida far too many too mention but it may be wroth mentioning the downsides..... all one of them !
THE FLIGHT TIME !

Having 3 children 5,2 & 2 (twins) I'm not looking forward to this part of the journey.

Good luck with your research

chrisj
16-03-2004, 13:19
The 3 things that I consider a downside

1. The cost - it can be quite high
2. The flight times - Gee I get so bored
3. American customs - They could at least smile

DMC
16-03-2004, 14:25
Where to start !!!

For us its the weather / the food / the shopping and just the overall "buzz" get when you are there.

We are over again at the end of April for our 12th trip in 6 years and we are just as excited about this trip as we were about our first and we don't even have any children !!!!

Like so many people we just adore Florida / Orlando, several fiends of ours, who had never been, used to say "how can you keep going back" - well upon our reccomendation they went and they have adimitted that they had the best holiday they could remember and are now hooked as well.

The place is additive and whilst it is not to everyones taste, those who love it will keep coming back year after year.

We have tried various locations around the world but nothing comes close to giving us the variety and enjoyment we get from visiting Florida.

The downside as has been mentioned before is the fact that it can cost alot and it is a long way away.

But as soon as you get out of the Airport that doesn't seem to matter any more. :D

16-03-2004, 15:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by winfie
Hello all!

I am doing a project on tourism from the uk to florida and am conducting a research. What is the first thing that comes to mind when tourist from the uk think about florida? What are the general feelings about florida? What other destinations might be prefered over florida and why?

thanks for your help!!
[/quote]

Hi,

I have been very fortunate to have traveled extensively with my career but I have to say that its Florida every time for me.

I have been going there since 1983 and do not feel the need to go anywhere else I don't know why it's just a nice warm calm feeling I get the minute I arrive, even customs can't spoil it for me!

So to tell you the first thing that comes to mind would be chilling...................

Hope this helps?

Good luck with your project!

Julie R

Lyn
16-03-2004, 15:28
1st visit in 1993 when children were 5 & 11 went for them thought I would hate it, I normally like quiet countryside, I LOVED it my 9th visit this year, I think Florida is great I like Fort Myers Beach, the Everglades, KSC. St. Augistine was nice but I wouldn't go again. Kissimmee is just the best I can't get enough of it. I LOVE IT

I have been to Las Vegas, The Grand Canion, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, San Fransisco, Los Angeles, San Diego and lots of smaller places in California, all very nice, but very expensive. I would like to try Texas & possibly Montana, but I will still keep going back to Florida. The other places are just to visit, Florida now feels like I am coming home. (Wal Mart is few and far between in California)

Lyn

Claire
16-03-2004, 15:45
Added to what has already been said is the total escape from reality. Even though I have visited many times and now own a home and have to do all the 'housey' stuff when I am there, I truly feel at home as soon as I drive out of the airport and very quickly become totally relaxed. I too have been lucky enough to visit many places in the world, but nowhere else quite has that 'something'. The magic of the Disney parks, especially during parades and fireworks, still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Ooh it makes me feel all shivery and emotional just thinking about it!!!

Ana
16-03-2004, 18:06
The appeals of Florida are too numerous to mention!

For me it's being able to go over and have an action packed, fun holiday with almost guaranteed good weather. It is also such a friendly, welcoming place. It really is a different, much more magical world!

I agree with Lyn when she says "Florida now feels like I am coming home".

chrizzy100
16-03-2004, 19:21
Hello all!

thanks for your help!!
[/quote]

We first started going to FL from the UK for Christmas to get away from all the money being spent on gifts...then it became a habit.......:D

16-03-2004, 21:53
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
Hello all!

thanks for your help!!
[/quote]

We first started going to FL from the UK for Christmas to get away from all the money being spent on gifts...then it became a habit.......:D

[/quote]

Chrizzy,

Talkng of habits.......... I have had 2 Starbucks today Chrizzy!

Julie R

Cowboy
17-03-2004, 01:04
Hi Winfie,
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your project. If you need some useless pieces of information here are some :-
In 2002 there were 889,000 UK visitors to Orlando which is 47% of overseas visitors.
92% visit for recreation
96% shop
97% dine out
88% visit theme parks.
Visitors spend $718 on average per person.
20% stay in STR homes.
Book via :-
Travel Agency.......56%
PC..................26%
Friends/Relatives...17%
Travel Guides.......15%
Hope this helps,

Mike.

MRKW
17-03-2004, 19:18
For us it has to be:

Weather Always nice
Parks Keeps you entertained
People Always cheerful and happy to help
Enviroment Its always clean
Worries Having none
Value Were else can you eat all you can for around £5

Only downside is you are so far away, but it's always worth it

ctgirlscout
18-03-2004, 01:04
Well, I'm not from the UK, but before I made my first trip to FL, my impression was that it must be filled with senior citizens!!! Being from NY, everyone always retired to FL!

Pikey1999
18-03-2004, 16:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrisj
The 3 things that I consider a downside

1. The cost - it can be quite high
2. The flight times - Gee I get so bored
3. American customs - They could at least smile
[/quote]

I agree with all of the above.

For a family the cost, including the parks, will mean that holidays to Florida are either occasional or are a complete no-go for most UK families!

Holidays to Spain (The main UK short haul destination, I believe) are cheap and plentiful, and Spain is only a 2 hour flight away.

US Customs/Immigration don't smile. Why? They have a serious job to do but that doesn't mean that they can't smile or a least be polite.
I assume that they are told to do the 'NO SMILE' thing. [msneek]

blott
18-03-2004, 17:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Pikey1999

US Customs/Immigration don't smile. Why? They have a serious job to do but that doesn't mean that they can't smile or a least be polite.
I assume that they are told to do the 'NO SMILE' thing. [msneek]
[/quote]
We've had some super smiley Immigration people! One chap in Newark in the middle of unseasonal heatwave where we'd queued for over an hour in sweltering heat who told us he couldn't wait for his shift to end so he could jump into a cold bath!

Florida is the best place! Why?

F = Fun
L = Lively
O = Orange juice
R = Rides
I = Interesting
D = Dreams
A = Attractions

Oh, and the best ones of all, sunshine and our home!

Carla
18-03-2004, 18:11
For me, Florida means heat, sun, good fun whatever we are doing and plenty to see and do.

It is also the only holiday that we have found (apart from skiing) where friends and family of very different ages can all enjoy doing the same thing. It's MAGIC.
:D:D:D:D

chrizzy100
18-03-2004, 20:42
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Julie R
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
Hello all!

thanks for your help!!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Chrizzy,

Talkng of habits.......... I have had 2 Starbucks today Chrizzy!

Julie R
[/quote]

I've not been into town for one since I got back home......I will this weekend.....:D

sarahjk
19-03-2004, 01:30
I completely agree with all the above we would consider going elsewhere and have looked (more for my hubby than for me im afraid) as the next time will be our 6th time in as many years but after trawling through the brochures and the web sites guess where I book

Fun
Sun
Shopping
Sea World
Universal
Shopping
Sun

And as was said above it feels like coming home everytime

Sarah

lisi
19-03-2004, 13:15
Yeh, I agree with everything. We never have a lot of money to spend but booking a villa is just great - so cheap compared with other countries and you know the weather is lovely. And of course so much to do even if you are not a park addict. The Americans cater so well for people with disabilities - they put our country to shame - so anyone can enjoy a good holiday at a reasonable cost - no wonder we keep coming back.

Lisi [8D]

mr flibble
20-03-2004, 14:07
Hi:)
May be it`s a Southern thing !
Love the people,the sun,beaches,variety of things to do
good eatin (southern spellin)
Down side not a lot of history, such a young country
but you try to make the most of what you have.
Not as much litter (trash) in the streets.
Have a nice one
Ian[msnwink]

Pikey1999
22-03-2004, 21:03
Hello all!

thanks for your help!!
[/quote]

Just wondering, if you're from Florida, then what do you think of all us Brits coming over there and buying up all of your properties? [msnwink]

I say that with a bit of mischief but what do you think of all those tourist? [msnsmile]

blott
22-03-2004, 22:51
According to their profile, Winfie is from Australia. Probably also get their fair share of tourists there I would think?

Pikey1999
22-03-2004, 23:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
According to their profile, Winfie is from Australia. Probably also get their fair share of tourists there I would think?
[/quote]

Oh...so s/he is! [:I]

Still like to know what Floridians(?) think of us tourists. :).

chrizzy100
23-03-2004, 04:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Pikey1999
Hello all!

thanks for your help!!
[/quote]

Just wondering, if you're from Florida, then what do you think of all us Brits coming over there and buying up all of your properties? [msnwink]

I say that with a bit of mischief but what do you think of all those tourist? [msnsmile]
[/quote]

I keep telling my American neigbours that us Brits are buying back America one home at a time.......at one time it was a joke.....but now I think its really happening.....LOL!

foreplay
23-03-2004, 07:04
I think it is wonderful that all of you from the UK are coming to Florida, and also to the rest of the USA, as tourists. As far as buying up all the property, not a problem. We can build it much faster than we can sell it here. One thing that most of we Yanks can agree on however, is that if we see a car riding in the left (passing) lane for miles on end, we can be sure it is one of our UK frends behind the wheel! I have friends in the Cotswolds area of the UK and I have a hard time believing what you all pay for things in the UK. Housing, petrol, the price of a pint!! Whoa Nellie! That would never do here, as the price you pay for petrol alone, would ruin our entire economy.
Someone else mentioned that there is a lack of history here. Well in comparison to the UK that is indeed true, we have only been at this for 512 years now. We have no buildings more than a couple of hundred years old, few monuments to the glory of ancestral deeds, and admittedly a lesser degree of "properness" in many facets of our life, but we have also no burden to support most of those historic items either. We are indeed a disposable society. If it (real property or implements) is a few years old and having a problem, out it goes and a new one is acquired, you may have noticed that we do not have repair shops for very many items; other than the automobile. The pace of life is so much faster here than in the UK, when I holiday there, I feel as if time is at a standstill and that is such a welcome feeling.
Please, keep coming to our country, invest in all the properties you care to own, enjoy our beautiful land as much as we do ourselves. The USA is called the "melting pot" of the world, as we readlily accept almost everyone unto our shores. We here, are after all, immigrants to these shores too!