PDA

View Full Version : Bloomin' fire ants!!!

Joolz
16-03-2004, 03:47
Can you believe it??? I am still feeling sick after 80 fire ant bites- and now I may have serum sickness.....my GP [uk] hadnt heard of them and so weve been looking on the internet for info -and at last have found some- I now have to be referred to consultant and he is ringing the Hospital for tropical disease- all sounds a bit melodramatic doesnt it!!!
But the real shocker is that he has suggested ...sorry warned me that he thought it best not to go to Florida again.....!!!!!!!![msnoo][msnoo][msnoo]
because the risk of having a worse reaction to new bites would be quite high....
I am hoping that the consultant can help to sort this out...
Has anyone else heard of this serum sickness- or had it??
Presumably residents of Florida get it so they must have some way of coping with it.
My top tip for people viewing newly built villas is to make sure that you look where you tread...and wear sox!!

SG
16-03-2004, 11:52
Oh dear what an awful thing to happen! Really sorry to hear this. Surely you cannot be the only person to be affected, what about the builders on the site where the ants were? Were you aware that you were being bitten at the time?

bellaepovera
16-03-2004, 12:22
I once received several bites from them also but did not have such a drastic reaction, but they did leave scars!

Carla
16-03-2004, 14:23
Joolz, yours was a really unusual situation. Most tourists never get anywhere near a fire ant. You stood in ground that had been worked over and cleared ready for building, so they would have been all around you!!! The only time that I got bitten by them was when I stood on our building lot!!!!

If you just do the normal tourist things, like vacation at a villa and visit the Parks, on your next trip, then I am absolutely sure that you will be fine and won't even be aware that these ants exist.

Claire M
16-03-2004, 15:07
Hi everyone

What should I be looking for, so as to avoid being bit![msncry]

Claire

steph_goodrum
16-03-2004, 15:12
Allergic reactions can be funny things to predict and aren't always as straightforward as it seems. My nieces husband (24) has been hospitalised 3 times in UK after being bitten by mosquitos and suffering anaphylactic shock, but he has been bitten many other times with no reaction and they couldn't figure out why until the last time they tried to see if there was a common denominator, and figured out a possible trigger. He works as a manager in a sports centre and is very active taking football coaching etc so is prone to getting minor bruises and sprains for which he takes Nurofen, and they realised that on each of the occasions he suffered a reaction he had taken Nurofen for pain relief. So obviously one of the ingredients in that appears to cause a particular sensitivity to the mossie bites, he has to take an epipen with him now with adrenalin but since he changed painkillers he hasn't (touch wood) as had any more occurences.

The main thing as with any bite though is to try not to scratch it as the secondary infections are often worse than the bite itself.

fiona
16-03-2004, 15:13
If you wear trainers and socks when visiting places that take you off the pavements (sidewalks) you should be ok, never had any problems myself with these, only mossies when on the Gulf Coast, and then I and the gals were bitten for England. Luckily had some anti histamines from the doc anyway so that took some of the sting out, but got some cream at the local chemist which was excellent and took some of the swellings down.

Claire M
16-03-2004, 15:20
Hi

So basically what you are saying is only walk on the paths! Do they look like our ant hills? The problem is I have a 2 year old boy who will not listen to what I tell him[}:)] (he knows best).

Thanks for the advice

Claire

Joolz
16-03-2004, 15:43
Claire
If he wears socks he should be ok..
It is a severe and unusal reaction Ive had.. so Im sure there is no reason t be alarmed
we went out twice before and never saw an ant... well not that I noticed anyway..

I should think the disney sites have regular and closely monitered pest control - so I dont think it d be a prob on disney property.

from what ive read...if the stings/ bites are treated within 1st 15 mins then this is supposed to work really well (allergies aside) so Id take some anti bite cream/spray and make a note of the nearest walgreaves...
The ant hill was just like ours not really a hill just a sandy bit of ground with lots of ants in !!!

Claire M
16-03-2004, 17:02
Thanks Joolz, I shall keep my eyes open. I will stock up on creams because if anyone is likely to be bitten it would be my son.:(

Claire

chrizzy100
16-03-2004, 19:24
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Claire M
Hi

So basically what you are saying is only walk on the paths! Do they look like our ant hills? The problem is I have a 2 year old boy who will not listen to what I tell him[}:)] (he knows best).

Thanks for the advice

Claire
[/quote]

I would think that the Villa if you're staying in one would be ant free.....I know my gardener looks out for them.......so does my pest lady...I'm sure it would be the same at a hotel and in the parks.....:D

Cowboy
17-03-2004, 00:40
Claire,
So that you know what the fire-ant hill looks like, I will try to describe it. It can be anywhere between 6 inches and 2 feet in diameter and simply looks like a mound of sand/soil anywhere up to 8/9 inches high. On appearance it looks quite normal BUT if it is active and you poke it with a stick the fire ants will immediately appear on top of their hill.
They are easily killed with a select poisonous product which all MC's carry on board and just spread a little powder on top of the hill.
After receiving the same treatment from them as patti, I never go without something on my feet, so the advice from above is very sound.
Mike.

andycoll
17-03-2004, 01:06
This is what the ants and ant hills look like

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/fireant.gifhttp://www.insectstings.co.uk/images/mounds2.jpghttp://www.insectstings.co.uk/images/mounds.jpg
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/images/2582.jpg

Claire M
17-03-2004, 01:13
Hi all

I think I have seen them before, I now know what to look out for.

Thanks for your help.

Claire

P.S. I didn't realise that they are that small.

17-03-2004, 01:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Claire M
Hi

Thanks for the advice

Claire
[/quote]

A 2 year does not know best where safety is concerned!

I have a 2 year old and my advice in Florida would to be firm and keep him in the lanai while at the villa and in the buggy or on reins when out and about.

But then I'm a paranoid mother!

Julie R

pbensur
17-03-2004, 18:51
Don't allow him to wear sandals - only socks and shoes and keep him off the grass as everyone else has already said. These are the precautions we take with our children everytime we visit Florida. Never had an incident until the last visit when my son dashed out the screen door barefoot into the grass and ended up with ants swarming up to his ankles (in a matter of seconds!). He got bit up pretty bad, but did not have a reaction.

The type of reaction Joolz had is not very common (so sorry it happened to you, Joolz!) - most people will not react this way. However, you have no way of knowing who will be prone to a severe reaction and who won't, so be aware and follow the precautions!