PDA

View Full Version : dolphin lover

zerotone
12-03-2004, 20:40
I am absolutely in love with dolphins and have spent many hours at Sea World trying to stroke one, but they always swim just out of reach. I would love to swim with Dolphins but I hate going under water. Is it possible to swim on the surface with them without going under?

Jane (admitted wimp)

Gillian-B
12-03-2004, 21:53
Hi Jane - no problem at Discovery Cove:). You get give life vests (which you have to wear in all the pools) and they keep you very afloat. They also provide goggles and snorkels, so if you do feel brave, you can pop your head under to view the dolphins from underneath (DC was the first place I have ever snorkeled and it's really easy and not frightening at all).

Also have a look at the other tread going on at the moment on what there is to do at DC.

Go for it - it'll be great and a fantastic experience [8D]

caz
12-03-2004, 22:03
I second that Gillian. Discovery Cove is a fantastic day, and the dolphin swim is such an experience, one I really must repeat some day.

steph_goodrum
12-03-2004, 23:31
My daughter and I spent an hilarious hour or so one at the side if the pool at Sea World being entertained by one particular large dolphin, who thought it highly amusing to keep coming up to us and jumping up for us to stroke him and letting us do so and then as he re-entered the watered sprayed ME everytime. It was great despite the fact I ended up absolutely soaked because it was obvious he was enjoying the game just as much otherwise he wouldn't have kept coming back to repeat it , despite my finger wagging, veiled threats of "you and me are gonna fall out if you keep this up". Muggins was the only one wet but it's the most interaction we have ever got with an individual dolphin other than at DC and by the time we left had a huge crowd laughing at me getting soaked.
But DC is definitely worth visiting you'll thoroughly enjoy it I'm sure.

Tracy
13-03-2004, 01:06
Hi Jane
Although we swam with Dolphins in Cancun rather than Florida, everyone does get issued with a life vest which keeps you bobbing about.

Not sure what you do with the dolphins in DC, but we held poles for the dolphins to jump over, we also had to lay on our tummies feet down and two dolphins swam up and with their snout / noses pushed us along and out of the water. When they stopped swimming we just dropped into the water, but were on such a high after the experience (I did it twice) that falling into the water is nothing.

It was absolutley the best experience of my entire life, I would do it again tomorrow and I understand that DC is a fantastic place for such an experience. We will go, but in a few years when our three year old is a bit older so that we can all enjoy.

Go for it, I am sure you will have a great time.

zerotone
13-03-2004, 01:22
Thanks everyone for your encouragement. Have spoken with family and we are definately going to book. Going to try for this xmas. Hope it is warm enough. If the weather is too cold can you reschedule?

Jane

Ruth
13-03-2004, 02:18
We did the swim on Christmas Day 2003 and although it was not that warm the wetsuits meant that it was not a problem. Have a great time:)

esprit
13-03-2004, 08:24
If you cant afford Discovery Cove, the dolphins ar Dolphin Cove in Seaworld do come right up to you and let you stroke them but I have to say you have much more chance of success if you buy the fish to feed them. For all their smiley faces, the dolphins are quite mercenary around that pool and have learned to play up to the bearers of the fish!! The fish is sold three times a day at times posted and there is a limited amount sold at each session.

steph_goodrum
13-03-2004, 12:49
Another trick with the fish at Sea World is to either be one of the first or last with food available (don't leave it too long in the sun though).