PDA

View Full Version : VS75 Manchester to Orlando

Claire M
12-03-2004, 18:53
Hi

We are flying with Virgin from Manchester in June and I was wondering wether anyone else has experience with this flight. I have read a few threads and at the moment I have the impression that the staff are rude, the plane is ancient, it may be leased from Air Atlanta, problems with the IFE![msnscared]

We have flown from Gatwick with Virgin and BA and didn't have any problems, could someone please reassure me that it will be fine.

Claire

P.S. Relating to another thread I have read, how do so many of you get upgraded to premium economy or business class?[msnsmile]

Matt
12-03-2004, 19:22
Claire,

The Virgin Service out of MAN is operated with Air Atlanta, but Virgin livery.

The jet used (Honey Pie, unless anyone tells me any different), has been with the original Virgin fleet for many years, and is a 747 classic rather than a 747-400.

I'm sure that the service provided is more or less the same as Virgin themselves!!

Matt

DISNEYDIVA
12-03-2004, 19:24
We flew on this flight in 2002, it was the best flight we have had. We are also booked on it again in October, my only complaint would be the state some passengers leave it in. You can checkout this flights progress daily on web site:
http://www.flytecomm.com/cgi-bin/trackflight

millie
12-03-2004, 20:00
We flew this flight in June of 2003. The service was fantastic, and the plane even had the nintendo games on board which we were not expecting. We asked beforehand to check if the plane was Air Atlanta which we were told it was however when we got to the plane it looked to all intents and purposes a Virgin plane outside and in.
There is the chance that the plane we flew on was not the usual from Manchester given the appearance and the nintendo games but we have never had any problems with Virgin service and would recommend them to anyone.
We have also never upgraded. The service for economy is fine and I don't feel it is worth the extra for the sake of a few hours.[msnsmile]

Claire M
12-03-2004, 20:23
Thanks everyone, you have put my mind at rest![msnsmile]

Ray&Sarah
12-03-2004, 20:36
We flew this route twice last year, August & December. The plane is starting to look a little old, and some of the consoles for playing the games did not work properly. But the airline staff are always very helpful, and pleasant. I guess the difference between the Manchester flight and those from Gatwick is that the London airports seem to have the new planes, and therefore you get the new 'Arcadia' system for videos, and games. But I am sure you will have a great flight and a wonderful time in Florida.

Nigel W
12-03-2004, 20:42
Just to back up Hayters comments we flew with them last May the planes nintendo games werent all working but we were pleased with the service and will be back on the route again on May 9.

12-03-2004, 21:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Claire M
Hi

We are flying with Virgin from Manchester in June and I was wondering wether anyone else has experience with this flight. I have read a few threads and at the moment I have the impression that the staff are rude, the plane is ancient, it may be leased from Air Atlanta, problems with the IFE![msnscared]

We have flown from Gatwick with Virgin and BA and didn't have any problems, could someone please reassure me that it will be fine.

Claire

P.S. Relating to another thread I have read, how do so many of you get upgraded to premium economy or business class?[msnsmile]
[/quote]

Hi Claire,

I use this service twice a year on average, and yes it is a leased 747-200 from Iceland however when you consider the 747's that Travel City Direct are even older! Its not the age of an aircraft that matters its the amount of flying hours it has clocked up and how it has been maintained.

The games often are not working but the cabin crew are OK. Never had a problem with the IFE.

I don't get upgraded because I am a mug and always pay to go Premium!

Flying is a bit of a lottery because there are so many factors that can cause problems but you should be fine.

P.S I have had more problems from Gatwick with Virgin than Manchester and the last BA to Tampa was the most uncomfortable flight I ever had and I am ex BA Crew!

Gillian-B
12-03-2004, 21:38
We flew this route a couple of years ago and I was very anxious beforehand (primarily when I heard it was an older plane and operated by Air Atlanta - I don't like flying!!). However, the plane looked just like Virgin, the crew were excellent (I believe Virgin trained) and Manchester is a great airport to fly from. Also, all the Virgin flights I've taken from Gatwick in recent years have had the old entertainment system which does not have the games, even though the planes are newer. The Manchester flight had the full system :)

So impressed, we've booked again on this route this year.

caz
12-03-2004, 21:44
I haven't flown Virgin for a number of years, but I have been lucky with good BA flights. As regards upgrades, I have heard mention of 'red cards' which I presume refers to the Virgin Flying Club membership cards. I know my parents were upgraded on their recent flight with BA on production of their 'blue' Executive cards - which I think is the same sort of thing.

walden64
12-03-2004, 22:08
I have flown this route 5 times in recent years and the name of the aircraft we have flown on was 'Island Lady'. The crew have always been excellent and never rude. We did have one occasion where the games console wasn't working for my son and myself but they apologised and gave us an allowance of £10 each to spend on duty free.
Also we have had an occasion where myself, husband and our two children (10 & 6 )were all upgraded and that was certainly the best flight we had ever had.

Floridalover
12-03-2004, 23:20
Here she is, smokey start this morning at Manchester:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/530938/M/

12-03-2004, 23:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Floridalover
Here she is, smokey start this morning at Manchester:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/530938/M/
[/quote]

Floridalover,

Thats fantastic! Was it a hot start? I love it when they do that!

I was on Concorde once when we had a engine surge - what a buzz!

Where can I get a copy of the photo?

Regards,

Julie R

Floridalover
12-03-2004, 23:51
Hi Julie, I found it on airliners.net. If you search for Boing 747-200, Virgin Atlantic and enter the Reg (TF-ATN)in the keyword field it will bring up about 45 pics of this plane alone. Likewise, you'll find any other plane on there too......and if concorde stirs memories search under their Reg, you'll find them all.
Regards

12-03-2004, 23:54
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Floridalover
Hi Julie, I found it on airliners.net. If you search for Boing 747-200, Virgin Atlantic and enter the Reg (TF-ATN)in the keyword field it will bring up about 45 pics of this plane alone. Likewise, you'll find any other plane on there too......and if concorde stirs memories search under their Reg, you'll find them all.
Regards

[/quote]

Thanks!

orlandobabe
13-03-2004, 00:15
We flew out on Honey Pie last week-just came back on Sunday. I thought the plane was fine-if it was ancient-I didn't think it looked that bad-otherwise I would have panicked.

I thought it was marginally better than the usual charters. I felt that the seat widths were no greater than the charter flights and the pitch between seats looked the same. We got an upgrade to premium going out and a bulkhead seat coming back so no complaints from me.

I thought the entertainment was very good-eventhough on the return flight 'Love Actually' did not work.

The evening meal coming home was quite nice-but the breakfat -a dried up rock bun and a fruit salad was pants!

But they got me there and back safely-so who cares.

If I had the choice to pay the extra whatever it costs to go with Virgin as against the charters-I'd choose the charters every time. Whatever the extra is-I really don't think you get any better value for your money.

The staff were friendly and very pleasant.

We've had charters going out from Newcastle where we have had brand new planes-JMC 2 years ago was a 6 week old airbus-with tv screens on the backs of seats.

orlandobabe
13-03-2004, 00:21
BTW-hubby left his wallet in the pocket in front of us-and we were at the start of the M62 before he noticed.

I rang Virgin Atlantic who were very helpful and told us to come straight back. When we got to the airport they sent someone onto the plane and retrieved his wallet with all of his credit cards-apparently the plane didn't go out until Tues-so it wouldn't have been found till then.

Airport lost property were very wishy -washy-as in we'll see if someone hands it in-by then hubby would have had the carry on of cancelling everything-so thumbs up to Virgin for a clear concise way of dealing with it!

Claire M
13-03-2004, 01:06
Thanks everyone for your replies, I am now happy![msnsmile2]

Claire

P.S. You still havent told me how to get upgraded for nothing, or is it just luck?

Matt
13-03-2004, 01:15
Claire,

Just luck. I would say get to the airport early, and be pleasant and jokey with the VIRGIN check-in crew.

Don't know what its like at MAN but at LGW it isn't Virgin who check you in, but a Virgin staff memeber is always around the check-in desks. I usually have a quick joke with them about something, then quickly add to the end 'is there any chance of an upgrade today':D:D

Nearly always works for me, but then again, it could just be my good looks[msnwink]

Matt

Claire M
13-03-2004, 01:16
Hi Pikey

Am I right in saying that you have had problems with Virgin, are they trying to send you via Newark? I personally would kick up a right stink if I was in your position, at the end of the day you purchased your flights in good faith. That should count for something. I would of thought that they should upgrade you as it is not your fault that there are not enough seats available.

I hope that it all works out for you[msnsmile].

Keep me posted.

Claire

P.S. If I am barking up the wrong tree let me know!

Pikey1999
13-03-2004, 01:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Claire M
Thanks everyone for your replies, I am now happy![msnsmile2]
Claire
P.S. You still haven't told me how to get upgraded for nothing, or is it just luck?
[/quote]

I'd just be happy to get a seat on the flight I got bumped off by Virgin!

Matt
13-03-2004, 01:23
Claire that was Pikey that got bumped, not me[^]

Matt

PS...Pikey, I'm still sure there must be something you can do on that one.....unless you have and I haven't caught up on the other thread yet[:I]

Claire M
13-03-2004, 01:24
Matt

I am sure that's what it is[msnwink].

Claire

Pikey1999
13-03-2004, 01:26
Claire,
Your right but I'll leave that rant for the above linked threat.

Pikey1999
13-03-2004, 01:32
Matt,
No change yet.
Cheers.

Claire M
13-03-2004, 01:52
Matt

Got there in the end, I changed it 3 times! My fingers are working faster than my brain this evening[msneek].

Claire

13-03-2004, 01:54
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Pikey1999
Matt,
No change yet.
Cheers.
[/quote]

Paul,

Are they getting back to you or have you accepted the Newark route?

Julie R

Pikey1999
13-03-2004, 02:19
I am awaiting a reply from the boss of Virgin Holidays. Not sure when I have to give them a reply. But it's good of them to wait for an extra 3 months before telling us. Harder to re-book elsewhere!

dick wroe
13-03-2004, 03:41
the planes are ok so long as you don't get the ones with outside toilets@

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
13-03-2004, 07:24
We flew on this flight today to Orlando from Manchester - the very one in the photograph somone kindly linked to.

We paid for an upgrade to Premium Economy and were given a free upgrade to Club Orlando. We had huge wide chairs - more legroom than you could ever need and fantastic in flight service - would definitely recommend it. Arrived at Orlando after 8h 40m feeling fresh and relaxed.

13-03-2004, 12:50
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
We flew on this flight today to Orlando from Manchester - the very one in the photograph somone kindly linked to.

We paid for an upgrade to Premium Economy and were given a free upgrade to Club Orlando. We had huge wide chairs - more legroom than you could ever need and fantastic in flight service - would definitely recommend it. Arrived at Orlando after 8h 40m feeling fresh and relaxed.
[/quote]

John,

I watched you go from my family room and waved! So jealous you got Club Orlando, I have just tried to upgrade to Club for 31 July but its full so have to make do with Premium!

The photo is great isn't it!

Julie R