PDA

View Full Version : Non-theme park activities in villa areas

TotallyAngelic
10-03-2004, 22:15
Hi
We are now thinking of renting a villa in orlando for 2 weeks as opposed to 1, as we think 1 week will be too much of a rush. So we were wondering if anyone know of any non-theme park activities, things to do within easy reach of the villa communities. We are particularly interested in nature activity, but not really the commercial a bit exploitative places such as Gatorland. All recommendations gratefully received. Thanks.

blott
10-03-2004, 22:38
Well, there's a whole heap...

For a start, look at http://www.unexpectedflorida.com/

Then there's Disney Wilderness Preserve in Poinciana, Reedy Creek Nature Reserve (open to the public at weekends) on Poinciana Boulevard, State parks, Kissimmee Lakefront Park in the Old Town, the zoo near Sanford, etc, etc. How long did you say you were going for?

Cowboy
10-03-2004, 23:26
How far are you prepared to travel?
Wekiva Springs is just over 1 hours drive from Disney. It can make an interesting day!!
The Old Courthouse at downtown Orlando is also an interesting place if you are interested in Florida history. Combine it with a stroll around the beautiful Lake Eola.
Mike.

Newhomebuyer
10-03-2004, 23:33
Go to Winter Park and sail on the lakes and visit the Morse Museum

janny
11-03-2004, 02:45
visit one of the many state parks in the area -Lake louisa -blue spring -hontoon island,lake kissimmee state park

dick wroe
11-03-2004, 03:57
silver springs , wichee wachie and the dinner train rides at fort myers

the evening dinner paddleboat rides from ft lauderdale

and mount dora is definately worth a visit

dick wroe
11-03-2004, 03:58
silver springs , wichee wachie and the dinner train rides at fort myers

the evening dinner paddleboat rides from ft lauderdale

and mount dora is definately worth a visit

TotallyAngelic
11-03-2004, 13:33
Hey thanks guys.....looks like I am going to be spoiled for choice now...maybe have to give the theme parks a miss!!!!![msnwink]

blott
11-03-2004, 16:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:How long did you say you were going for?[/quote] That's why I asked! [msnwink]

TotallyAngelic
11-03-2004, 16:36
We will be there for 2 weeks total, 5 days in Disney parks, 2 in water parks, 1 in IOA, 1/2 in Seaworld, so 4 days to do other things....looks like we'll need it![msnwink]

steph_goodrum
11-03-2004, 17:28
Try this link and you may just find you need 3 weeks.:D:Dhttp://www.funandsun.com/parks/maps/city.html

We keep promising a trip to Ichetucknee Springs but haven't made it yet.

If you go to Homossassa Springs (north of Clermont - we've done that in a day) you can swim with the manatees for just $30 it is supposed to be about 3 hours long with around 2 hours in the water.

walmsley_family
11-03-2004, 18:03
Hi
May find you need longer than 1/2 day at Sea world...
* quite a few shows to see ( worth getting there in plenty of time and many have pre show entertainment / quizzes!!! ...look for the pirate at the Sealion show)
* rides
* dolphins, penguins,budweiser horses, mannatees, etc etc

darul
12-03-2004, 01:49
A place I and the family love is 'The Pier' in Tampa, Its is so beautiful. Rays swim under pier, you can fish (hire rod etc. there) feed the pelicans, the kids love the pirate ship that sails around the bay for an hour or so( firing the cannon, playing games). There's an aquarium there also. agreat day away from the hassle of orlando and it takes about a hour or so to get there. a bit of paradise.

Nigel W
12-03-2004, 01:55
Blott have you got a website for everything somebody asks for?[msnwink]

blott
12-03-2004, 03:00
Almost Nigel - I'm working on it! [msnwink][msnsmile2]

wilfy
12-03-2004, 03:31
I would say go for GatorLand on Orange Blossom Trail. Fascinating. :)

orlandobabe
12-03-2004, 17:23
Yes Gatorland is good.
We did it 13 years ago and it was pants-and it's really been greatly improved.

I loved the trek along the boardwalk through the wild bit.

The airboat ride at Southport park was fantastic-straight down Poinciana Blvd-crossing over everything till you get to the dead end-there were more alligators than you could shake a stick at.

We stopped counting at 40! I now know where the expression daft as a coot comes from-as there were a flock of them on the lake that just wouldn't budge when the boat was heading towards then. When they did finally move-they looked like they were running on little twinkly toes on top of the water-it was very funny.