PDA

View Full Version : Silver springs

Joolz
10-03-2004, 19:03
What is silver springs? Where is it? Is it worth a visit??

blott
10-03-2004, 19:27
Here you go http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=173

It's a great place for a day visit with beautiful springs, animals, countryside, etc.

Nostromo
10-03-2004, 19:27
Silver Springs is a very nice Nature Park near Ocala, some 90 minutes drive out of Orlando. If you are in one of the US27 villas, it is a very easy, direct route. We planned to go on all 4 of our previous visits to Central Florida and somehow missed out. This time, WE'RE GOING. It sounds like a wonderful day to relax and slow down among the flora and fauna of the park. They have got 4 animal shows, a botanical garden, a Jeep Safari and three boat rides, the most famous of which is the Glass-Bottomed Boat Ride. There are no big theme-park style rides, but there is an adjoining small water-park called Wild Waters.

Ana
10-03-2004, 20:21
I have this on our schedule for July. I read somewhere that it's starting to look really unkept. Has anyone been recently?

Ray&Sarah
10-03-2004, 22:03
Hi Ana,

We went to Silver Springs during our time in Florida at Christmas. They do a festival of lights at Christmas which was very good. We didn't think the place looked unkept, and the glass bottom boats were clean, and the guides excellent. The elderly in-laws enjoyed it, but our lads (12 & 14) did not, no white knuckle stuff!

esprit
10-03-2004, 22:05
We went a couple of years back and it was fine then, Animal shows? Hmm. I got picked out of the audience and was the one they put a giant taratula on, huge spitting cockroach etc. Thankfully the snake they kept referring to didnt materialise!!
Its a nice ride up 27. You go past a Mediterranean themed community which is worth a look. A lot of Brits buy there long term.

blott
10-03-2004, 22:51
I think you're talking about The Villages?

Nostromo
10-03-2004, 23:05
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
We went a couple of years back and it was fine then, Animal shows? Hmm. I got picked out of the audience and was the one they put a giant taratula on, huge spitting cockroach etc. Thankfully the snake they kept referring to didnt materialise!!
Its a nice ride up 27. You go past a Mediterranean themed community which is worth a look. A lot of Brits buy there long term.
[/quote]

Is there some way we can get my arachnophobic Sister-in-law 'picked' for the Tarantula thing? I want to bet (another) $50 that she won't do it. She is a sucker for bets.

blott
10-03-2004, 23:43
Aw, that's not fair Nostromo! You've already got the poor woman on wild rides trying to win bets...

Er, what's she like with snakes? I know the very place...[msnwink]

Nostromo
11-03-2004, 01:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
Aw, that's not fair Nostromo! You've already got the poor woman on wild rides trying to win bets...

Er, what's she like with snakes? I know the very place...[msnwink]
[/quote]

Hey,that's a good idea! But I'll be running out of $50 bills at this rate. Hmmm, let's see...maybe a couple of Hurricane cocktails at Pat O'Brien's could do it! Blott, where is this snakey place that you have in mind?[}:)][}:)]

blott
11-03-2004, 03:43
Reptile World Serpentarium - it's on the 192 through St Cloud on the left side. They do venom collecting demonstrations and also have volunteers hold the snakes.

The chap who runs it has been on Discovery Channel because he was bitten a few years ago and has an horrific scar on his arm (left one I think!). How do I know all this? My husband used to drag us there on nearly every Florida visit, that's how...

from Digital City
Reptile World Serpentarium
5705 E. Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway
St. Cloud, FL 34771
407-892-6905

Judging from its unassuming exterior, you wouldn't guess Reptile World could dish up such intense thrills. The cinderblock and stucco building on the outskirts of Kissimmee's main tourist thoroughfare is home to hundreds of snakes, including an 18-foot King Cobra and the extremely venomous Australian Taipan, considered to be the deadliest serpent in the world. You'll walk along a darkened corridor, coming within inches of Coral snakes and East African Green Mambas. Fifty different snakes are kept in glass pens lining the hall. And behind the scenes there are hundreds more, awaiting the twice-daily milking shows, when their venom is harvested for scientific research. In addition to snakes, you can also look get personal with gators, turtles and iguanas here.

The Big Thrills:
During the venom milking sessions you'll witness a seriously dangerous procedure. It doesn't get any creepier than watching a giant Cobra leak his poison into a pilsner-sized glass from your vantage point, just a few feet away.

Must-Have Admission Info:
The $5 admission price is one of the best bargains in town. You won't find discount tickets, but it doesn't matter when the thrills are as cheap as this.

Tips and Hints:
Raise your hand when volunteers are requested during the venom show. You won't get close to the actual action, but you may get a chance to stroke the slithery skin of a giant boa constrictor.

Nostromo
11-03-2004, 04:53
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:

Tips and Hints:
Raise your hand when volunteers are requested during the venom show. You won't get close to the actual action, but you may get a chance to stroke the slithery skin of a giant boa constrictor.

[/quote]

Thanks for the info Blott. This sounds more interesting than the SS Tarantulas. I'll take your 'tip' but will modify it a little. I'll stand next to my sis-in-law and raise HER hand when they ask for volunteers! HA!:D:D:D:D

Ana
11-03-2004, 19:55
Thanks for the reassurance re Silver Springs. I'm really looking forward to it - it looks so laid back.

jotter
11-03-2004, 20:52
Blott, are there any landmarks close to Reptile World Serpentarium as i fancy a visit just to freak the wife out. I can never seem to find anything on the 192 as i have to concentrate on the traffic lights[nearly had an accident a few years ago missing a red light]

Nostromo
11-03-2004, 21:54
Looks like this snake thing is catching on. Us men must be a strange lot, trying to resort to such tricks to impress the 'fair' sex. [msnwink][msnwink]

firsttimer
19-04-2004, 18:08
Ana, we went to Silver Springs last week. It was a bit chilly but we enjoyed it. If you have older people in the party they will be fascinated by the Tarzan connection and old photos.
We were told that the park has changed hands 4 times recently.
They are in the process of building a native american village along one of the boat rides (by the way all the boats have glass bottoms).
We didn't bother with any of the shows, but I got licked by a giraffe at the giraffe petting area. Now, if you haven't smelt a giraffe you are in for a treat!

One thing I would mention is that although they publicise a picnic area it is outside. They search your bags for any food and drink and won't let it in apart from anonymous water bottles. I actually managed to sneak in some capri suns, but we didn't dare drink them in case we were spotted!!
It isn't very big, so it wouldn't be a big hardship to go outside to eat- not like at the big parks.

Ana
19-04-2004, 18:15
Thanks Firstimer. We have some older and some anti-white-knuckle-ride members in our party, which is the reason for it being on our schedule. Would you say it was a full day or half day activity?

blott
19-04-2004, 22:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jotter
Blott, are there any landmarks close to Reptile World Serpentarium as i fancy a visit just to freak the wife out. I can never seem to find anything on the 192 as i have to concentrate on the traffic lights[nearly had an accident a few years ago missing a red light]
[/quote]

So sorry Jotter, I've only just seen your post! Oops, hope you haven't been already...

Unfortunately, no landmarks at all but I can tell you that it's on the 192 after it goes into single lanes and it's opposite a field! It's a white single storey building which lays back from the road (the car park is in front). You've got the number of the building so you may be able to count up (or down!) to it. If you do miss it though, you can easily turn round and come back to it - wouldn't want to deprive your wife of an experience like that would we? :)

Ray&Sarah
20-04-2004, 02:27
Silver Springs is probably only a half day thing, but if travelling from Orlando, take the US27 North, it will take about 2 hours, but we found the route enjoyable, and there are hills!

Ana
20-04-2004, 04:20
Hills?? Really??!! I thought the only hills were on the golf courses!

Nostromo
20-04-2004, 10:39
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ana
Hills?? Really??!! I thought the only hills were on the golf courses!
[/quote]

Yes, that's what he meant. Every now and then you stop for a round of golf on the way to Silver Springs. :D;):D;)[:o)]

Ana
20-04-2004, 12:09
ah yes - that would make it more of a full day activity then! :D

Nostromo
20-04-2004, 13:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ana
ah yes - that would make it more of a full day activity then! :D
[/quote]

Sure. In fact, it used to be the norm until this French guy hit a long shot into the Big Croc pond and went in search of the ball. They had to drain the entire pool, but they found the ball at last. :D[msnsmile2]

firsttimer
21-04-2004, 03:06
We arrived at about midday and went about 5. If we had done the shows it would have taken longer. A sunny day is better for the glass bottoms than cloudy, and we were a bit chilly when we went. The water park wasn't open over easter, but when it is open you could combine the visit (take your bathers in case)