PDA

View Full Version : Cocoa Beach then Orlando

ollie
08-03-2004, 03:10
Hi,

We are travelling to Florida over Easter, and will be staying in Cocoa Beach for a few days, before moving to our rented villa in Lindfields.

We have stayed in Lindfields before, but have never been to Cocoa Beach. Any recomendation or comments any one has on Cocoa Beach, would be well received.

Cheers

blott
08-03-2004, 03:39
Well, there's Ron Jon's surf shop for a start and there are usually some great rollers... You can drive your car onto the beach, it's near the Kennedy Space Center (NASA) and Daytona and it's really a residential rather than a 'holiday' area. It's around an hour from Orlando.

There are Space Coast Area Transit (SCAT) trolley services to Cocoa Beach. The trolleys are actually buses designed to look like trolleys. The service runs Monday through Saturday from 7:00am to 9:00pm and on Sunday from 8:00am to 5:00pm from Port Canaveral to 13th Street in Cocoa Beach. A ride on the trolley costs $1.00 with a special rate of .50 for seniors, disabled and students. There is no charge for children under 5 or for transfers to fixed route bus service. Please have the exact fare ready when riding a bus/trolley. Drivers are not equipped to make change. Bikes and surfboards are welcome.

For other things to do, there's Brevard Zoo, fishing and golf. Shopping includes Merritt Square Mall and Melborne Square Mall. For eating there are a variety of restaurants.

ollie
08-03-2004, 03:42
Thanks for the detailed reply. Excellent.

We are staying at the Inn on the Beach, right near Ron Jons apparently. Dont suppose you know this hotel, by any chance????

Cheers

blott
08-03-2004, 03:45
No, sorry I don't. I've visited Cocoa Beach a couple of times but never actually stayed there.

ollie
08-03-2004, 04:02
Thanks Blott,

Maybe someone else csn help.

Cheers

Matt
08-03-2004, 13:17
Hi Ollie,

I've stayed at Cocoa Beach two or three times in the past, although must admit did it after Orlando so that we could fully relax after all the parks and things.

However, I love it over there. We have always stayed at the Holiday Inn which has its own boardwalk at the beach, which is nice for an evening stroll down there.

There is also the pier (or am I thinking of Daytona beach now[:I]). You can also take a trip to Cocoa Village which is a lovely little town, all oldie worldy.

Hope that helps, and I'm sure whatever you do over there you have a great time.

Matt

ollie
08-03-2004, 13:34
Matt,

Thanks for the reply.

Have been browsing the web, and there is a Pier at Cocoa Beach, and we will take a trip to Cocoa Villag. It sounds great.

Cheers
[msnsmile2]

Nostromo
08-03-2004, 13:44
I've never actually been to Cocoa Beach, but would like to go someday. Apart from the beachy side of things, I want to know if the house in which Major Nelson (Larry Hagman) of the 60s TV comedy "I Dream of Jeannie" used to live really existed (and does it exist now?)

ollie
08-03-2004, 14:56
Hi, Nostromo,

If I find out ill let you know.

Cheers

Nostromo
08-03-2004, 15:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ollie
Hi, Nostromo,

If I find out ill let you know.

Cheers
[/quote]

Thanks, Ollie. I'll be grateful.

esprit
08-03-2004, 18:42
Ideal opportunity to visit the Kennedy Space Center without the drive over I would have thought. The Merritt Isle conservation is also one of the best places outside of the Everglades to see alligators ikn the wild. We have never been there once without seeing one. The last time we were there we saw one about 7 foot.

ollie
09-03-2004, 02:58
Julie,

Thanks for the Merrit Island tip. We havn't considered that.

Cheers [msnsmile2]

orlandobabe
13-03-2004, 01:38
We were looking for a cafe that overlooked the beach-so we were a bit disappointed that we didn't find one.

Maybe we needed to drive further down I don't know-but we parked near Ron Jon's which is on a busy road.

I didn't know you could drive along the beach though -so we missed a treat there-as we have done that at Daytona.

Have to have another trip now!

Matt
13-03-2004, 01:49
OB, if you go down there again, then when you get to the lights where you would turn right to Ron Jon's (if my memory serves me correctly), then keep going along the 'beach' road and pull into the Holiday Inn. Out the back, and on the beach, they used to have a little coffee shop/bar/cafe out on the boardwalk overlooking the beach.

Now, I am going back maybe 8-10 years here, but I'm sure they wouldn't have taken away that feature[8D][8D]

The hotel features alot in the UK brochures, so maybe you could take a look at one online.

Matt

ollie
14-03-2004, 21:51
Thanks for details.

Is Ron Jons close to the Cocoa Beach Pier?

Cheers [msnsmile2]

Steve and Helen
16-03-2004, 02:09
We had a meal at the grill, it was the best food i have had over the 17 days i was out there, its 3 miles up by the ferry ports, it took 1 hour to wait but it had a live group on, really good value and not expensive.

BarryR
17-03-2004, 14:56
We have stayed at Cocca Beach at the Holiday Inn.

An evening eating and drinking on the pier ... fantastically relaxing, average food, but friendly and a great view to die for. Try a beer sitting at the small bar on the end of the pier late in the afternoon to relax, it was great way to unwind.

Cheers
Barry R

ollie
22-03-2004, 14:23
Thanks Barry,

I can almost taste the beer, and I have another 3 weeks to wait.

Cheers

[msnsmile2]

Matt
22-03-2004, 21:40
OK Ollie, don't rub it in[xx(]

Matt