View Full Version : Sim cards?

falcon
07-03-2004, 18:06
hiya which pay as you go sim card to buy in orlando ? and place to buy it
cheers guys and gals
mike

blott
07-03-2004, 18:47
As far as I know, you have to purchase a phone with a sim card as UK phones don't work on US frequencies. You can get these from the likes of http://www.tracfone.com or Virgin also do these.

brizzle
07-03-2004, 18:57
Tri-band phones should work fine
I was wondering about this as well.
My Mum will be with us in November and if we could each buy a US 'pay as you go' sim card for our phones then she can go and do her own thing.

Anyone know if you can buy sim card only?

Brizzle

blott
07-03-2004, 20:00
T Mobile are the only sellers of prepaid SIM-only packages in Florida.

They charge $100.00 for the card and the activation and you start of with $30.00 airtime (about 135 minutes) you pay NO long distance charges within US. You pay for incoming calls. You cannot call abroad with your prepaid balance. The website is www.tmobile.com

At those prices, it would be cheaper to purchase yourself a new phone from http://www.tracfone.com where they have current offer of a free reconditioned phone with 100 airtime minutes for $29.99.

brizzle
09-03-2004, 22:01
That sounds like the best option.
Unfortunately the offer ends March 11th but I will keep an eye on their site for offers.

If I can get two for $29.99 each then it may be worthwhile. Above that and we may just go the sms message to each other route. I am worried about it because sometimes I have had a big delays with sms in the US.

Brizzle

starkie
21-03-2004, 16:40
Yes, you can just buy sim cards. Try Beepers & Phones, they are very helpful and we purchased a sim for $25. It was valid for 3 months and worked well with our tri-band vodaphone. You must have a a tri-band phone!!

They are located on 192 East on right going away from Disney, past Walmart.

Julie

Nostromo
21-03-2004, 16:45
I've had a Tri-band for almost 3 years and used it several times in the USA to call local mobiles, land lines and make international calls without the slightest problem. But it is best to check with your provider about the costs, since they often make a temporary change in your tariff to suit your usage while on holiday.

rogerdunnaker
30-06-2010, 15:10
Tri or quad band phones will work but the phone has to be sim free, most networks in the UK lock the sims to their network so putting another providers sim in will not work.

Oceansplasher
30-06-2010, 23:55
Just a thought, but last year we purchased 2 USA sim cards for Florida from E-bay and activated them. Once activated they came with x amount of credit on them and lasted for 3 months. Minimum phone level is tri-band and of course it needs to be sim free.

They worked really well, no problems at all and even had enough credit for a few calls back home. We will do the same again this years trip. Hope this helps.

djdigitald
01-07-2010, 03:00
I bought a US t-mobile sim off of ebay which when activated came with $10 of credit i topped up $100 on it and used it regularly every day for the past two weeks, phone and Data and i still have $63 on it. It is also live until at least 15/06/2011 or longer if it is topped up before then!

Frosty
01-07-2010, 16:02
You can buy cheap pay as you go phones from Walmart.

If you don't want the very latest model they can be dead cheap.

I picked up a $9.99 phone on Virgin and it came with $10 credit on, all because it was a phone from 6 months ago!

At those kind of costs, get 2 use them for your holiday then either sling them or donate to someone else.