PDA

View Full Version : alligators, bears and panthers

Joolz
07-03-2004, 16:25
Having just looked up florida wildlife on the internet I am now scaring myself silly about holidaying in Florida.
How many of you have ever come across an alligator, bear, panther, snakes, deadly spiders??????
Are you more likely to find them in villas near lakes, swamps etc???
Last time we holidayed as a family there we went to east coast and kids swam in sea- the next day a young boy paddling in the same beach area was attcked by a shark.
will someone reassure me?????

blott
07-03-2004, 16:45
There's a whole heap of info about Florida wildlife here http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida_guide/wildlife.asp

Well, you'd have to be really lucky to see a bear as there aren't very many of these.

Florida panthers usually live in the Everglades and very rarely come further north.

Snakes are around (as they are in the UK) but we've never seen one in 10 years of frequently visiting Florida (except in the Serpentarium!).

There are Black Widow spiders but I've never seen one of those either.

There are alligators almost everywhere there is water in Florida. Normally, they don't bother you if you don't bother them and it's illegal to feed them (as with many other Florida wildlife). Just keep a respectful distance and remember they can run fast. The ones you may see around home communities are normally quite small and are removed once they start getting bigger.

Seeing different wildlife is what makes a holiday in a foreign country different from going to somewhere like Blackpool for instance. Respect the wildlife, keep your distance, don't feed anything and it will respect you.

There are wonderful bird spotting opportunities, fantastic butterfies and a whole host of other unusual and interesting things to see if you keep your eyes open.

Ruth
07-03-2004, 16:52
We have been to Florida so many times that I have now lost count[:I]the only wildlife mentioned above that we have seen are small alligators and these have been in the water and we looked at them from a distance. We have never seen a snake or a large spider.

We have seen plenty of other wildlife which was fantastic, racoons, armadillos, birds of prey, lizards and best of all wild dolphins:)

esprit
07-03-2004, 19:27
Alligators yes. You see them, there are millions here. You leave them alone, they leave you alone. Most are small, three or four foot. You see the odd big one. Just steer clear. Feeding them iks the big no no and what gets people into trouble.
Panthers or bears. You would be very very lucky if you saw one. I live here and would love to see either. They are rare and keep themselves to themselves. They live mostly within conservation. The only time you may see a bear is just before the hibernate when they come out looking for food to fatten up. If you lived on the edge of a state park, then you may see one. If you are lucky!! They are quite small and not like grizzley bears.
You see the odd snake if you live here. Most of them here are not poisonous. Again, leave them alone. I doubt you would see one on a two week holiday. Deadly spiders. No, never seen one!
You also see lots of armadillos and raccoons and beautiful tropical birds. But a lot of people will come here for two weeks and never see anything. It depends where you are, whether you are in I-Drive or out in the country.

chrizzy100
07-03-2004, 19:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
Alligators yes. You see them, there are millions here. You leave them alone, they leave you alone. Most are small, three or four foot. You see the odd big one. Just steer clear. Feeding them iks the big no no and what gets people into trouble.
Panthers or bears. You would be very very lucky if you saw one. I live here and would love to see either. They are rare and keep themselves to themselves. They live mostly within conservation. The only time you may see a bear is just before the hibernate when they come out looking for food to fatten up. If you lived on the edge of a state park, then you may see one. If you are lucky!! They are quite small and not like grizzley bears.
You see the odd snake if you live here. Most of them here are not poisonous. Again, leave them alone. I doubt you would see one on a two week holiday. Deadly spiders. No, never seen one!
You also see lots of armadillos and raccoons and beautiful tropical birds. But a lot of people will come here for two weeks and never see anything. It depends where you are, whether you are in I-Drive or out in the country.
[/quote]

We saw a dead bear on the side of the road we thought it was an old carpet..until we saw it in daylight......we only saw snakes around where you live Julie......hehehehehehe.....

Most of the people who get to see a lot of snakes and stuff are the locals who move in when very few homes are finished and the ground is still being cleared.....my neigbours had trouble with bears for a while......and snakes....but that stop a year or so ago.....

esprit
07-03-2004, 20:07
Yes unfortunately you do see a lot of roadkill. We saw a deer on the entrance to Celebration ( as you leave 1-4) the other day. Such a shame. And loads of raccoons. It would be horrible to see a bear. So be careful when driving at night through forested areas.
If you do see a snake or anything like that in or near a villa, dont try and tackle it, call the villa management company. Terry will love me for saying that!!!! He has a big stick at the ready:)

chrizzy100
07-03-2004, 20:23
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
Yes unfortunately you do see a lot of roadkill. We saw a deer on the entrance to Celebration ( as you leave 1-4) the other day. Such a shame. And loads of raccoons. It would be horrible to see a bear. So be careful when driving at night through forested areas.
If you do see a snake or anything like that in or near a villa, dont try and tackle it, call the villa management company. Terry will love me for saying that!!!! He has a big stick at the ready:)
[/quote]

A deer would wreck your hire car if you hit it......

So much building is going on the snakes get up and move.....they don't like the feel of all the heavy machine moving over the ground......and one of the joys of living with near neigbours is the fact you'll see less of them then if you have lots of garden around you.......

Also people renting should remember to keep the garage doors closed....and the door from the garage closed....if a snakes going to get in......that will be his route.....most of the time......

littlemonkey
07-03-2004, 21:09
Hi, we have always enjoyed looking at the florida wildlife from a distance! We have seen armadillos, lots of alligators and a few snakes but no spiders yet. We have usually seen these from the car though and it has always kept us entertained on long journeys. Im not sure i would be keen on seeing an alligator near the villa!! This holiday we are staying in a villa on a new development which has a conservation area, im now a little concerned that there may be a snake or alligator near the villa. I have watched too many programs where gators are rescued from back yards and pool areas i think... Im sure it will be fine though and they will keep their distance from us as we will them!
[8)]

sunseeker
08-03-2004, 01:42
My sister had a tarantula drop onto her windscreen whilst she was driving around kissemmee, she cooly switched on the wipers and knocked it off. The scary thing is, she was driving a convertible with the top down [msneek]

dave

chrisj
08-03-2004, 01:49
There was an aligator in the lake behind the Villa that we stayed in last year, we went near
to have a look, but far enough away for safety

When we stayed on the Gulf coast we had some of those Pelican thingies dive bomb us on the
beach once

In Canada when I stayed with some Family, they had bears and everything that would just appear
which being a townie scared the ***** out of me, but they were used to it and laughed at me
when I used to open the front door and run like a madmen to the car

bridget
01-05-2004, 16:04
When my husband and I were in Florida about 5 years ago we were out walking and there were lots of trees and shrubs around and we were literally surrounded by about a dozen spiders in their webs - they were the size of your hand (I'm not joking!). They were very colourful, orange, black and white but I wouldn't want one of them one me!

anna maria freak
01-05-2004, 17:28
LAST YEAR WHILST DRIVING ALONG CANADA DRIVE(JUST OFF I DRIVE) A HUGE TORTOISE WALKED OUT IN FRONT OF OUR CAR, MY HUSBAND STOPPED AND PICKED IT UP AND PLACED IT IN THE GRASS, HE SAID IT MUST HAVE WEIGHED 20 POUNDS[:0]THINGS LIKE THIS REALY MAKE A HOLIDAY AS DOES SEEING MANATEES SWIMING FREELY AROUND THE COAST, IF YOU PAT YOUR HAND ON THE WATER THEY WILL SWIM OVER TO INVESTIGATE[msnsmile2]SUCH BIG GENTLE CREATURES, SHARKS ON THE OTHER HAND, PAUL HAS CAUGHT SEVERAL WHILST FISHING OFF NEW SMYRNA BEACH WHICH IS ON THE ATLANTIC COAST BETWEEN COCOA BEACH AND DAYTONA,NEW SMYRNA HAS IN THE PAST FORTNIGHT HAD 9 SHARK ATTACKS BRINGING THE TOTAL THIS YEAR TO 18 MAKING IT THE HIGHEST IN THE WORLD, THE TOTAL WORLDWIDE BEING 35[:0][:0]IN SAYING THAT SHARKS ARE ABUNDANT OFF THE UK, AND HOW MANY SHARK ATTACKS DO WE HAVE? WILDLIFE NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE WILL LEAVE YOU ALONE IF YOU LEAVE IT ALONE,JUST ENJOY THE PLEASURE IN ACTUALY SEEING IT AS INTENDED [msnsmile2]NOT CAGED[msnsad][msnsad]

LORRAINE

chrizzy100
01-05-2004, 19:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by anna maria freak
LAST YEAR WHILST DRIVING ALONG CANADA DRIVE(JUST OFF I DRIVE) A HUGE TORTOISE WALKED OUT IN FRONT OF OUR CAR, MY HUSBAND STOPPED AND PICKED IT UP AND PLACED IT IN THE GRASS, HE SAID IT MUST HAVE WEIGHED 20 POUNDS[:0]THINGS LIKE THIS REALY MAKE A HOLIDAY AS DOES SEEING MANATEES SWIMING FREELY AROUND THE COAST, IF YOU PAT YOUR HAND ON THE WATER THEY WILL SWIM OVER TO INVESTIGATE[msnsmile2]SUCH BIG GENTLE CREATURES, SHARKS ON THE OTHER HAND, PAUL HAS CAUGHT SEVERAL WHILST FISHING OFF NEW SMYRNA BEACH WHICH IS ON THE ATLANTIC COAST BETWEEN COCOA BEACH AND DAYTONA,NEW SMYRNA HAS IN THE PAST FORTNIGHT HAD 9 SHARK ATTACKS BRINGING THE TOTAL THIS YEAR TO 18 MAKING IT THE HIGHEST IN THE WORLD, THE TOTAL WORLDWIDE BEING 35[:0][:0]IN SAYING THAT SHARKS ARE ABUNDANT OFF THE UK, AND HOW MANY SHARK ATTACKS DO WE HAVE? WILDLIFE NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE WILL LEAVE YOU ALONE IF YOU LEAVE IT ALONE,JUST ENJOY THE PLEASURE IN ACTUALY SEEING IT AS INTENDED [msnsmile2]NOT CAGED[msnsad][msnsad]

LORRAINE
[/quote]

I'd make sure that kids don't touch any tortoises..turtles..etc....they carry food poisioning bugs......if anyone has to move one..don't use your bare hands...make sure you wash your hands really well after or just go around it leaving well alone...they have a very nasty bite and some can reach right around their shell..............the same goes for areas around dustbins......raccoons carry a lot of illness...if your bin is knocked over by one use gloves and lots of bleach....and watch out for ticks.....

Jules
22-05-2004, 04:18
We once saw a large black snake in typoon lagoon, an american woman drew our attention to it by shouting "Honey don't torment the snake" to her young son who was chasing it through a flower bed, I really don't like snakes and was a little concerned.... OK I was terrified... but fortunately so was the snake and it disappeared into the undergrowth. A disney worker assured me that it was completely harmless, but I still kept one eye open while sunbathing. The only other wildlife we saw in the park that day were lots of rabbits in and around the lanscaped areas and the lizards of course both of which I thought were cute. We've also seen the odd small alligator in the lake at Celebration and lots of turtles.
I saw a programme on the T.V about brown recluse spiders which worried me as apparently you can find them in Florida.... I don't like spiders either... so the first thing I buy in Publix is a large can of ant and roach killer to spray around all the doors of the villa, I don't know if this would work on spiders but I feel better knowing I've got it to hand!!

Sharon G
22-05-2004, 13:50
On our last visit to our villa we made quite a few trips to the garden centers to get plants and shrubs for our garden.

We had quite a big hire vehicle and Paul crammed in as many plants and things poosible.

On the way home, I was sat in the back with our youngest son when I heard some "rustling"[msneek][msneek][msneek][msneek][msneek][msneek]
I told Paul to stop the car and went to search the plants!!!

We had a baby snake in amongst the plants!!!![msnoo]

Anyway we evicted it very carefully. So just be aware if anyone's purchasing plants/shrubs....check them before you put them in your car.
Thankfully "our snake" was harmless[msnsmile2]

There was also lots of little spiders (which I hate) crawling around the car[msncry][msncry][msncry][msncry]

Next time I'm having them delivered.

NigelM
09-03-2006, 19:56
Hi

What is the likelihood of snakes:

1. Getting the pool area?

2. Getting into the villa?

Am I at higher risk in Crescent Lakes than say Formosa Gardens?

Cheers

Snakeaphobic Nigel

Macka
09-03-2006, 20:08
Nigel,

Really, don't worry about it. Again, I've been going to Florida for twenty odd years and I saw a small snake once, that was on Siesta Key on the Gulf coast and as soon as he was aware we were close by, he was gone in a flash. The likelyhood of you coming into contact with one is very remote.

I can agree with the tortoise/turtle thing. I've caught turtles fishing and their bite is ferocious, their necks extend much further than you'd imagine so don't go anywhere near one.

chrizzy100
09-03-2006, 20:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by NigelM
Hi

Cheers

Nigel (Snakeaphobic)
[/quote]

Just keep the front door closed along with the garage door...everywhere else has a screen...it would be hard for a snake to get in if the screen is fitted right....
I would check the water before letting kids jump in.....but its really not that common to find any thing in the screened in area...

vanessag
17-05-2006, 23:44
Plenty of critters in this film coming out soon, cant wait it looks so funny!:)

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/o/Over-The-Hedge/index-50036.html

andrewandcarole
18-05-2006, 00:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by NigelM
Hi

Cheers

Snakeaphobic Nigel
[/quote]

I agree with the above Nigel - don't worry. You are not likely to see a snake. Yes - they are around but modern villas are designed to keep them out.

Jill
18-05-2006, 01:58
I have only seen one snake in Florida which was a harmless black racer.

My brother though was bitten by a snake last year in ENGLAND as he sat on the grass in Laindon, Essex and as it was an adder he had to go to Basildon hospital and he said that experience was worse than the snake bite.

mizzy
18-05-2006, 11:57
like you Joolz i got myself a little bit worked up before our trip, in my case it was the spiders

but i needn't have worried, not a spider in sight and believe me i did investigate before i went to sleep[msnembarrased]

we did have the pleasure of meeting a cute little armadillo guy who was right next to us outside MGM as we sat exhausted on a bench

we kept a cautious distance but like i said cute little fella posed for photos and everything [msneek][msnsmile2]

trevlad
19-05-2006, 01:58
played golf this year and shared the tee with a gator. what a croc. he watched me hit 5 balls into the lake then shrugged and went off for a swim. [msnsmile2]

wendyd
19-05-2006, 03:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by anna maria freak

LORRAINE
[/quote]

I'd make sure that kids don't touch any tortoises..turtles..etc....they carry food poisioning bugs......if anyone has to move one..don't use your bare hands...make sure you wash your hands really well after or just go around it leaving well alone...they have a very nasty bite and some can reach right around their shell..............the same goes for areas around dustbins......raccoons carry a lot of illness...if your bin is knocked over by one use gloves and lots of bleach....and watch out for ticks.....
[/quote]
Wow glad i read this we have three tortoises at back of our villa.
I love to watch them.
Wendy

Susan J
19-05-2006, 18:06
I have never seen anything and our villa is lakeside - not only that, but I am petrified of snakes and spiders, and believe me if there is one in the area -my 6th sense would lknow it and I would not have owned rental proerties there over the years -if I go, trust me , you can all go!!
Also Gators do not bother you and move away from sound -once a development is finished they go and don't come back -as HOA president of our Estate I have had gators removed, but not in the last 4 years.

Murph
12-02-2008, 18:56
Racers are to be encouraged, they're territorial and will chase off a cottonmouth or a rattler. You'd be hard pushed to see a venomous snake in the built up areas and quite frankly a smal 'gator in the lake behind the house is brilliant, we've had a gator in the pond many times. Just don't go out by the lake at night that's all. If you walk toward a 'gator on a golf course they'll generally dive into the water and swim off, just apply common sense that's all.

Having said all that we adamantly refuse to swim in the sea off Florida, shark attacks and stingrays are far too common for my likeing and yes I know there's more chance of being hit by lightning.[msnsmile2]

Robert5988
13-02-2008, 00:42
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Having said all that we adamantly refuse to swim in the sea off Florida, shark attacks and stingrays are far too common for my likeing and yes I know there's more chance of being hit by lightning[/quote]

Not the most objective risk assessment I have seen!!

Really just a statement of your particular phobia!

Lightning is a far greater hazard as you point out, as is the chance of a motor accident, or being knifed/shot in a robbery.

Not to mention a Tornado - we are actually under a tornado warning at this very moment; one has just touched down at Patrick Air Force base(near Cocoa Beach) and another has just damaged the roof of a Condo.

Steve Irwin's death has started something with regard to stingrays, those near the Florida beaches are small.

nicklangdon
27-03-2008, 12:37
we saw a racoon once well its rear end hanging out of a dustbin [msneek] oh and we sat on a bench in epcot late waiting for the gas blow off from the globe and was shocked when a domestic cat jumped out of the bushes next to us [msnoo] never expected that!

like previously said we made a point with the kids that you always check the pool before you jump in just in case as we have had 2 frogs/1 cockroach and last year a snake in the pool.I feel quite blessed as we holiday twice a year and rarely see anything!

ali

Katys Grandad
27-03-2008, 17:22
Lots of alligators more or less everywhere there's water. Caution advised but very unlikely you'd have a problem.

I've seen many snakes but away from the urban areas of places like Orlando. I was privileged to see a Florida panther walk past the window of a condo I was staying in in SW Florida a few years ago but, again, not in an urban area.

becbecs
28-03-2008, 12:44
Only time we have seen Alligators in Florida is when we did the Boggy Creek Airboat Ride. Other that that seen a few birds, and a Raccoon now and again, but as suggested, keep a safe distance, don't feed them and they wont bother you.

Jill
28-03-2008, 13:07
Florida is not the only place that has 'dangerous' wildlife. The only place I personally know anyone who has been bitten by a snake was my brother. Where was he in ENGLAND at Langdon Hills. He never saw it coming and he spent a very uncomfortable few hours in Basildon hospital.

IanW
31-03-2008, 03:03
After numerous trips without ever seeing a snake, we went to Orlando for the first time in August and I saw 4 in 2 weeks. There was a black Racer next to the villa, one at Typhoon Lagoon and 2 around the community pool. One crawled over my sons feet when he was sat at a table. He moved very quickly (my son, not the snake) and then the snake swam across the pool. We made a snap decision not to tell anyone in the pool as it was headed for the other side and nobody was in it's way. Nobody noticed it so there was no panic. My son, however, will never sit with his feet under the tables by the pool in Orlando!
Ian

GiZZeRR
05-08-2008, 05:39
We just got back from our first visit to Florida 2 weeks ago (we are going back next year and already have the flights, villa and car booked) [clap]

Anyway, we arrived at the Villa to find a Scarlet King snake in the pool. It was small so grabbed the oven gloves :D and picked it up and released it out on the grass. Did some fishing at the Lake and a Gator sat 3 foot away for about an hour, watching me. As it got dark it grunted and rushed up the bank towards me. I just stepped back quickly and it shuffled back into the water.

I went out on that lake a few times on an inflatable boat but they didn't come near. Just adds a bit of excitement [msnwink]

mfairhurst
06-08-2008, 02:45
We have terripins in our lake and they get out and sunbath it looks funny also the blue coloured birds open their wings to dry not sure what they are called ,You see life in FLORIDA but we love it
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

blott
06-08-2008, 03:08
They're actually black/very dark brown Maureen but their feathers have a blueish tinge, especially when they're wet - they're called anhingas and look like this

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/blott/200885231138_anhinga.jpg

Lynne S
06-08-2008, 14:24
Great photo Blottie, we always spot plenty of wildlife including birds, squirrels, snakes and gators during our walks around the lakes at the back of Celebration hotel

eagleydo
07-08-2008, 00:27
That is an absolutely brilliant pic[clap]

mfairhurst
07-08-2008, 01:07
Thats our bird and we love to see it came everyday and they are so still .
MAUREE
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

chrizzy100
07-08-2008, 19:18
Our one Chipmunk has now become 5 famlies...I love them...they run all over our deck if you are there or not...we nearly got some as pets back in the UK..but this is a lot better..

SteveandJan
07-09-2008, 02:08
Don't panic. We have a villa beside a small lake and there are small alligators but we have never seen one come out and nor have our guests during the 5 years we have owned it. You can see their eyes on the top of the water and if we go a little closer, they swim away. They are more frightened of us than we are of them, the same goes for snakes. We had a small black snake near the flower beds and when it heard us approaching, quickly slithered away.

You'll have a wonderful time and you won't even think of anything like that.

We have Cranes who visit regularly

:)

Cazz Enigma
08-06-2010, 23:57
I kind of wished i hadnt read all that!!!!

Dont mind seeing any of those animals and snakes from a distance.

I wont tell my husband about the spider on the windscreen or we won't be going lol