PDA

View Full Version : Mom's visiting..

improvmisty
07-03-2004, 06:57
My Mom is visiting in two weeks. I just moved here myself so still don't know and/or havn't been to all the sites there are to see here in Orlando.

She is 76 years old so can't do anything 'real' dramatic. Any suggestions on WHERE to take her?? She's never been to Florida.

Nostromo
07-03-2004, 12:42
I am going with seniors in that age group too, and there are some quite nice places to go. I expect that you already know about WDW and the Universal area attractions and so I'll concentrate on what I think your mother might enjoy among the 'other' venues.

1. WINTER PARK: Just to the north of Orlando and conveniently close to Interstate 4, this is a superb, relaxing day out for anyone. It is described as an upmarket 'Urban Village' with shops, boutiques, cafes etc along its main street, Park Avenue. There is a guided WALKING TOUR of the area. Then there are places like Cornell Fine Arts Museum, Morse Museum (with its collection of Tiffany Glass), Sculpture Gardens, Mead Botanical Gardensetc. But the highlight is the hour long Scenic Boat Tour of the area with superb views all around.

2. A WORLD OF ORCHIDS: This place is located on Old Lake Wilson Road very near Celebration and is a must for anyone who lokes Orchids and other flowers. Moreover, it is free and you can see it within a couple of hours.

3. ORLANDO MUSEUM OF ART: Some of the other members have been discussing the Chihuly glass sculpture exhibition that is now on here. I have not seen it myself, but the preview on their site looks superb.

4. EPCOT'S WORLD SHOWCASE: This part of Epcot mainly deals with the sights, sounds and culture of the represented countries and if your mother can manage the rather long all-day walk involved, she might enjoy the park.

5. SILVER SPRINGS: If you don't mind driving for 90 minutes each way, this is another wonderfully relaxing day among flora and fauna in a naturalistic setting. There are great animal shows to enjoy, plenty of shaded places to rest and the famous Glass-bottom boat tour. You need to start early though and plan to be there soon after the opening time of 10am.

6. MALL AT MILLENIA: Even if your mother is not a shopaholic, a visit to this new, ultra-high tech mall is worth it, if only to look at the decor and do window shopping!

7. OLD TOWN: Take your mother here one saturday evening. We are doing the same this time and from what I have heard from other members, it has a wonderful 'Country Fair' atmosphere with shops, stalls, music and shows, not to mention the famous Car Cruise.

8. THE HOLY LAND EXPERIENCE: Being a non-Christian, I cannot comment on the intricacies of this venue, but when I went with some friends that included an elderly Canadian couple, they seemed to think it was quite good. But I think you had better take the other members' opinion on this one before making up your mind.

9. DINNER SHOWS: You could take your mother to one of the many dinner shows in the area. Perhaps SLEUTHS or ARABIAN NIGHTS might be good choices, but the food in the latter is apalling!

I think that's a reasonable selection, don't you?

-Arun

dino
07-03-2004, 12:55
hi Arun, you are turning quite an expert, must say looking at ur list even i would like to try these and i am just 42year young. i think my kids should take some reality check lessons as well rather than make believe. could u be kind enough to give us some directions as i am hoping to be there in june for my closing and i hoping to do a combination of things as visiting disney every day can to tiring and want to mix differents things on my short 10day trip.

regards

dino

Nostromo
07-03-2004, 13:25
Thanks Dino. I must confess that the info involves a lot that I learned myself from other members. But all these places are relatively easy to find.

Winter Park: Going northEAST from Orlando on I-4, take Exit-87, turn right and drive into town until you come to Park Avenue. That's it!

A World of Orchids: Going east on US192 - just beyond Marker #5 turn left into Old Lake Wilson Road (CR545). World of Orchids is about a mile or so on the left.

Orlando Museum of Art: I've never been here myself, but I think it is somewhere near the Orlando Science Center off Exit 85 of I-4.

Epcot....well, you know that one!

Siver Springs: From the villas you keep going north on US27 till you come to Osceola and there you turn right into SR40. Silver Springs is just over five miles further on the same road. If you are coming from Kissimmee or orlando area, take the Florida Turnpike till it intersects with US27 and follow the same route.

Mall at Millenia is on Conroy Road off Exit 78.

Drew
08-03-2004, 04:08
If we take our parents I will suggest the Dualling Dragons at Islands of Adventure as one of the gentler rides - that would put and end to the ski-ing (spending the kids inheritance). My own son nearly worked that one on me. [msnwink]
Drew

improvmisty
12-03-2004, 04:08
Thank you so much for all of the ideas for my Mom's visit. It was quite helpful.

Thanks Much!
Misty

orlandobabe
12-03-2004, 17:08
Misty my mum is 75-and although she complains of aches and pains (she visits a gym 3 times a week) She is happy to give most things a go.

We just make sure that we stop often-usually while the younger members enjoy a wild ride.

I think you'll be surprised what these seniors can actually do once they get to this magical place. I think just being willing to give most things a try is the key.