PDA

View Full Version : What's the best experience in Florida

lisi
07-03-2004, 01:33
After 'what's the worst experience' how about your best experience whilst holidaying in Florida.

Be interested to know - think mine is very simple like the glorious sunset in Key West or one thing that really sticks out is the look of sheer pleasure and wonderment on one particular child's face on seeing Mickey Mouse - she was taken unawares as Mickey was behind her - she turned round and it was lovely to see her smile - wish I had taken a photo.

Lisi:D

Claire M
07-03-2004, 02:00
Hi Lisi

Mine was when we took our daughter to Disney for the first time, she was only 2 1/2. The look on her face when she saw Winnie The Pooh was unforgetable, it still brings a smile to my face now! [msnsmile]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
07-03-2004, 02:03
The day we arrived to see our first villa for the first time...we could hardly breathe when driving up the road and had a sneaky look through the window before going in - my heart was in my mouth but it was just beautiful...the interior designer had done us proud and was worth the extra money we spent on her [msnsmile2].

One of those moments almost as good as being there at the birth of your children or getting married - they remain with you forever and bring a smile to your face every time you remember them.

benfilo
07-03-2004, 02:04
Hi lisi
we've had loads of nice experiences but one sticks in my mind it doesn't sound much but it gave me a warm feeling,
when my son was 4 we stayed at the Disney All star we had banners and balloons in the room saying happy birhday. after a long day in the parks we got in and there was a big cookie left there and a card saying happy bithday from Mickey Mouse. My wife reckons it was the cleanerbut I'm not so sure
Told you it doesn't sound much but I still think of it 8 years on.
bye:)

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
07-03-2004, 02:07
It's the Disney culture Benfilo - all staff are trained to notice things like this and to do whatever they can to make guests stay special...I've read an excellent book on the philosophy of Disney and this one fits the mould perfectly [msnsmile]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by benfilo
Hi lisi
we've had loads of nice experiences but one sticks in my mind it doesn't sound much but it gave me a warm feeling,
when my son was 4 we stayed at the Disney All star we had banners and balloons in the room saying happy birhday. after a long day in the parks we got in and there was a big cookie left there and a card saying happy bithday from Mickey Mouse. My wife reckons it was the cleanerbut I'm not so sure
[/quote]

Ray&Sarah
07-03-2004, 02:16
Its hard to narrow it down to just one good experience, Orlando as a whole is fantastic. Seeing our villa for the first time was great, our youngest enjoying the Magic Kingdom on our first visit was good (he was 4 at the time and loved the "its a small world" ride) but the best for me would have to be watching our eldest swim with the dolphins at Key Largo when he was 7. He was dolphin mad at the time and loved every minute of it. It was a memory to treasure! Funniest so far has to be my hubbie dressed up as a local yokel and barn dancing on the stage at the Wild Bills show.[msnwink]

LesleyB
07-03-2004, 02:30
Best experiences have to be watching the expressions on the children's faces every time. Mine was my son Jamie's face after he had plucked up the courage to ride the Hulk in Islands of Adventure (he's 9). He nearly backed out lots of times, but braved the wait and rode the Hulk. The look on his face afterwoods was brilliant - especially as his brother was too small to ride.

Lesley

fiona
07-03-2004, 02:31
Our first visit to Florida was 9 years ago, and our then 6yr old was just about the biggest Winnie the Pooh fan in the world. We did a character breakfast and she was just beside herself, and I have to say the whole Magic Kingdom experience was just wonderful for both of our daughters. That and Sea World were I think the best things for them. Course now they are grown up young ladies and it's IoA all the way!

benfilo
07-03-2004, 02:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
It's the Disney culture Benfilo - all staff are trained to notice things like this and to do whatever they can to make guests stay special...I've read an excellent book on the philosophy of Disney and this one fits the mould perfectly [msnsmile]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by benfilo
Hi lisi
when my son was 4 we stayed at the Disney All star we had banners and balloons in the room saying happy birhday. after a long day in the parks we got in and there was a big cookie left there and a card saying happy bithday from Mickey Mouse. My wife reckons it was the cleaner but I'm not so sure
[/quote]
[/quote]
Hi
I've always found them pleasant and helpful, but I felt something like this was special we weren't expecting it and my some was over the moon about it .I can think of a few people who should go through this training

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
07-03-2004, 02:44
LOL - I know a lot of people have a go at Disney but they really have got the right mix of culture and ideas to make a magical time for anyone [msnsmile]

benfilo
07-03-2004, 03:20
HI
I know a few people who don't like the "have a nice day" attitude but I think it's fantastic .
good on 'em

mikewj
07-03-2004, 04:18
My best experience of Florida was the first time we visited.

I just fell in love with the place and would be quite content to go there at least once a year for the rest of my life....getting worried looks from Sue now !

We were only there for a week as part of a cruise and stay, but as soon as we were walking around the parks, the shope and just driving up and down 192, I kept saying that we have to come again. We did, and have kept going back ever since.

As for the "have a nice day" attitude, I get the impression that its actually genuine in Florida (and other parts of the USA), whereas back home in the UK, its only said because its part of the script passed down from the manager !

I'm hoping that our trip in June will be the best yet, as we'll be introducing our son to Mickey, Minnie and pals. [msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

Mike

benfilo
07-03-2004, 04:30
hi mike
I agree I think it is genuine.Back on the good feelings I've always been interested in nasa stuff I can remember my first sight of it ,fantastic, as a kid it was unthinkable for me to actualy go there
phil

Ruth
07-03-2004, 12:23
When my eldest daugter was four I took her to the Cinderella's breakfast at the Magic Kingdom and all the princesses were there. To her they were real and watching her reaction it was very hard not to cry.

Just watching the faces of all the children (not just mine) watching a parade is amazing and is what Disney is about to me.

Watching my 2 daughters do the dolphin swim at Discovery Cove last Christmas Day was also wonderful.

benfilo
07-03-2004, 13:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ruth
When my eldest daugter was four I took her to the Cinderella's breakfast at the Magic Kingdom and all the princesses were there. To her they were real and watching her reaction it was very hard not to cry.

Just watching the faces of all the children (not just mine) watching a parade is amazing and is what Disney is about to me.

Watching my 2 daughters do the dolphin swim at Discovery Cove last Christmas Day was also wonderful.
[/quote]
I agree entirely,we had a great time there before the kids came along but taking them there is even better.
How much does the Dolphin swim cost and how far in advance do you have to book.
thanks

Ruth
07-03-2004, 13:24
You can book up to 2 years in advance I think, it is certainly worth booking early as the number of places each day are limited. I got my tickets in the UK as that worked out cheaper than booking direct with Discovery Cove.

brizzle
07-03-2004, 13:36
The look on my daughters face as she woke up Tinkerbell on the morning of her 4th birthday.
The look of pure pride and amazement which we luckily captured on video is just fantastic.

Brizzle

benfilo
07-03-2004, 13:39
thanks all
phil

Nostromo
07-03-2004, 15:10
For me, the most MOVING experience was my first visit to Kennedy Space Center in 1995. They used to have 'Red' and 'Blue' tours those days and on the Blue tour we visited a lot of the older parts of the facility. Being a 'space person', I was deeply affected by the firsthand exposure to the conditions in which those pioneering astronauts went about their jobs.

My most THRILLING experience to date is accidentally finding myself on the front row of the Kraken during our last visit. It was so exhilarating that I have bet $50 (dollars, mind not quid) to my timid (but unable to resist a wager) sister-in-law to do likewise this spring.

bellaepovera
07-03-2004, 17:11
Gosh there are so many I wouldnt know where to begin..I suppose the first time of taking my sons to Disney and having them stand next to the characters, a little scared at first but then the big fat smile as when they pick you up or give you a big hug, just makes me want to tingle.

zerotone
07-03-2004, 19:11
One of the best moments for us was when we took our 4yr old, very shy, son to Disneys River County for the day. My favourite character 'Pluto' came over, took him by the hand and proceeded to walk with him through the nature reserve area, pointing things out to him. They were on their own except for a couple of Disney photographers. Needless to say 'Pluto' had been his favourite character ever since. Its just a shame we had run out of film for our cameras[msnsad].

benfilo
08-03-2004, 00:27
[quote]Originally posted by Nostromo
For me, the most MOVING experience was my first visit to Kennedy Space Center in 1995. They used to have 'Red' and 'Blue' tours those days and on the Blue tour we visited a lot of the older parts of the facility. Being a 'space person', I was deeply affected by the firsthand exposure to the conditions in which those pioneering astronauts went about their jobs.
I'm with you on that frst went htere in 1990 seeing that rocket garden as I pulled into the car park was fantastic I'd been waiting years to go there.Thought you might be a space person with the name you picked

Nostromo
08-03-2004, 01:32
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:.Thought you might be a space person with the name you picked
[/quote]

That's a good guess. The first two Alien movies are among my favourite Sci-Fi films.

DISNEYDIVA
08-03-2004, 22:57
Looking around the model homes in Celebration was one of the highlights for me.
Seeing the multi million dollar homes in Naples and Miami.
Staying in a villa on Chatham Park.
Spending a couple of hours at the Grand Floridian Hotel, then walking along the beach to look at the wedding chapel.

:D

lisi
08-03-2004, 23:27
What a mixed reaction - I was pleased to see that a lot of you got pleasure from seeing childrens' faces which is worth its weight in gold - I know it is hard to pinpoint those extra special moments because Florida is such a great place - you just seem to have a good time wherever you go - can't wait till October

Lisi

benfilo
08-03-2004, 23:46
That's a good guess. The first two Alien movies are among my favourite Sci-Fi films.
[/quote]
they're up there on mine too along with Blade Runner...oh don't get me started.

Jules
09-03-2004, 01:03
It's difficult to pick the best experience as we have had so many.One that does comes to mind is from a few years ago before Sea World built the large Dolphin enclosure in it's Key west section. The Dolphins used to be in a large oval pool towards the centre of the park, I think it is now the Dolphin nursery. My son was leaning over the edge to get a better look at Dolphin that kept swimming really close to the edge when his sunglasses fell into the water. He was worried because a sign said not to throw anything into the water as it could harm the Dolphins, suddenly the Dolphin he had been watching surfaced with the glasses in it's mouth and "handed " them back to him. It's the only time I've known him be lost for words I just wish I'd had my video camera running.

Julie

Joolz
09-03-2004, 01:41
drinking freshly squeezed Orange juice outside on the pool terrace for breakfast,

At a water park not sure which one...going down a water slide thingy in a large rubber ring with my sister and all 4 of our kids- kids didn't stop screaming - we laughed so much we cried all the way down- you see me and my sis were rather overweight - it affected the dynamics of the rubber ring somewhat- Im laughing now just thinking about it....:D

Also at water park me and sis just couldn't get out of the rubber rings on the lazy river....:D

worst and best event has to be the roller coaster in the dark (someone remind me of the name- rocknroller coaster? it has a big guitar on the front of it..) i went on it for a dare by my kids- cus they said I wasnt up for a laugh.. I could hear someone screaming ..then I realised it was me:D it took me about 3 hours to recover

Kickstart
09-03-2004, 17:37
The first ever visit to Florida 14 years ago, just me and my wife. I had always wanted to go to America and at the time it seemed such a big deal to get there (no money in those days). It was everything I wanted it to be, big, brash, so different from England. I wanted to live there (still do want to sometimes), but then when I came home I was able to carry the memories for years. When we were able to go back a few years later, this time with the kids, it was good seeing the expressions on their faces.

Seeing a shuttle launch two years ago was also pretty special

Harmony
09-03-2004, 19:59
The best experience we had came the first time we visited Florida. Our first meal out and a couple of americans heard our accents. They politely introduced themselves and we had a very long, very friendly enjoyable chat. They loved the UK and loved us. It was such a refreshing change from the usually surly attitude we got from other european countries, where we felt we were only allowed in so they could take our money off us.

The americans we have meet have been wonderful and they really help make our holidays great.

Jeff[msnsmile2]

NigelM
10-03-2004, 17:07
There are so many that I can think of and a lot relate to the looks on our boys faces when seeing the characters at the parks. One that stands out occurred before the boys were born and was on the Gulf Coast.

We had hired a white convertible (le baron?) and took a drive from St Petes to Sarasota on the coast road. It was about the time the sun set and we parked on the road facing the gulf to witness the most vivid red and orange sunset. The radio was playing 'Just my Imagination' by the Temptations as the sun dipped over the horizon. We just sat there not word was spoken. ( I guess you had to be there!)

Aaah memories.....

NigelM

Kevin8304
10-03-2004, 20:19
My best of all experience in Orlando is.. Orlando! I think that Orlando, Florida is amazing. I particularly enjoy just walking about in the heat, sipping on a drink and enjoying the scenery- And I'm only 14 years old! Lol.. But I love everything about Florida, just really enjoy being there, that is such a treat and streak of happiness for me. I can't wait until I return to Florida for the fourth time on October 2nd this year, makes me smile thinking about it!

[msnsmile][msnsmile][msnsmile][msnsmile][msnsmile][msnsmile][msnsmile]

orlandobabe
13-03-2004, 01:26
One of my best experiences has to be when we stepped inside my friend's villa and went 'Wow!

(See worst experiences andd you will understand why!)'

I had never seen so much space and such a beautiful home-and this was to rent? Usually we had stayed at impersonal hotel rooms from cheap to dear or battered holiday park accommodation!

Like Victor Kiam -who liked the product so much-he bought the company-well I did the next best thing-bought an identical villa on the same street.

My second best experience-was seeing my daughter get married outside on a very hot October day-up in Mt Dora. It was in the grounds of a beautiful (10 year's old) Victorian house-that could have come straight from Disney itself-it was so pristine. My son in law, and 2 sons (yes even the former hyperactive 11 year old-see worst experience again) had tears pouring down their faces. It's a memory I'll never forget and my daughter looked like a princess in her ever so pale pink shimmery dress. Ahhhh!

My third best experience is yet to come-that's when we get the chance to take our first grandchild to Disney. As ours were so much older-I can't wait to see the look of joy and wonder on his face when not only does he get to see his own Winnie the Pooh room -but to actually meet him at Disney-double Aaaah!