PDA

View Full Version : mosquito repellant

TotallyAngelic
06-03-2004, 11:56
Can anyone recommend an effective mozzy repellant....I was bitten to bits in the Keys last year, but mainly because we ate out in the evening at an outside table, at sunset, with no repellant. It had never really been a problem brfore, but next time I will definitely invest in a repellant.

kevinprewett
06-03-2004, 12:18
Avon 'skin so soft'[msnwink][msncool][msncool]

janny
06-03-2004, 12:20
make sure it is the Woodland Fresh variety though

darul
12-06-2004, 20:33
You want to get a repellant thats at least 50% DEET, as this is the best mozy repellant, Boots do this, but make sure you get boots own brand in the siver bottle/spray and not the one in the yellow, as the silver one is a lot better. you can buy it at any airport Boots.

hope this helps

darul

chrizzy100
12-06-2004, 20:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by TotallyAngelic
Can anyone recommend an effective mozzy repellant....I was bitten to bits in the Keys last year, but mainly because we ate out in the evening at an outside table, at sunset, with no repellant. It had never really been a problem brfore, but next time I will definitely invest in a repellant.
[/quote]

For every day ....just in case....I use 'OFF'....Botanicals......

If you're going into the woods...near water...or are getting bite a lot..etc..use something with.....Deet...

chris c
13-06-2004, 02:04
I read on another forum that eating marmite is supposed to be a repellent (for mosquitos that is!!).

cameron
13-06-2004, 02:08
We travelled in October and had no prolems with bites:)
Is it a seasonal thing? We are going in four weeks:D:D do I need to some repellant[?]

chrizzy100
13-06-2004, 03:48
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chris c
I read on another forum that eating marmite is supposed to be a repellent (for mosquitos that is!!).

[/quote]

My dad swears by it....but he eats a lot of the stuff.....and hes never had a bite.....my parents asked the doctor about it.....because my mum gets bite like mad....he said it could give off a smell on the skin.....but apart from that he has no idea......my mum can't eat it.....it makes her sick...

Nostromo
13-06-2004, 04:10
Boots do several insect repellants; if you are sleeping or spending a lot of time outdoors, the green 'Jungle Formula' stuff is about the best. It comes as a spray or rub-on.

steph_goodrum
13-06-2004, 12:54
I've read about Marmite as well , there is also a vitamin (B6 seems to ring a bell) which is also supposed to have the same effect, you're supposed to start taking it before you go and it works the same.
I dont know if they work yet but we bought a couple of individual mozzie repellants in Walmart last year. Work on the same principle as the plug in ones by emitting a high pitch frequency. they fit on a key ring or belt loop and are oval about 2-3" so not too bulky to carry around. They cost about $2.50 each so we figured at that price it was worth trying and just leaving them clipped to our bags and we could switch them on if necessary.

Angua
13-06-2004, 13:04
We use MosiGuard Natural, comes in a cream, pumpaction spray, aerosol, roll-on, stick or sachets and is safe to use on babies, although they do recommend to do a test patch on babies under three months.

We usually get it from our local chemists but the manufacturer has the full range available online. Our North Carolinan friends are so impressed that we take the full range out with us for them on each visit. Apparently it also deters leaches. Don't remember seeing any of them in Florida though... unless you count nefarious time-share sellers!!;)

Perhaps we should set up a test in a swamp, giving each member different repellants and see who gets less bites. Bagsy I get the clipboard and bee-keeper suit though!![:o)]

bellaepovera
13-06-2004, 13:14
I found the product OFF is the most effective and comes in creme and spray type.

Snapper
13-06-2004, 15:14
I have in my head from somewhere (Discovery channel I think) that DEET based products (N-diethyl-m-toluamide) have been scientifically proven as the best insect repellents. That's not to say that all the others don't work, I'm sure they do, but maybe they haven't been through scientific testing or something.

The higher concentration of DEET the better. I've generally had good experiences with 20/30% DEET. If you can find some 50% you could probably camp in a rainforest and not get bitten.

Just have a look on whatever product you are buying and if it is DEET based it should say so, along with the concentration of DEET it contains.

Steve.

Snapper
13-06-2004, 15:35
Just found the following info about DEET: http://www.deet.com/deet_fact_sheet.htm

Steve.

chrizzy100
13-06-2004, 18:50
DEET is the best....but there are worries about using it to much.....thats why our doctor told us to only use it when in the woods etc....and to use OFF....everyday .........

This week on MedMinute: Use caution when using insect repellents containing DEET.

With the warnings about West Nile virus, many of us are using insect repellants to ward off mosquitoes and other warm-weather pests. But new studies show some popular repellents could carry dangers of their own.

Every year, approximately one-third of Americans use insect repellents containing the insecticide DEET. Duke University Medical Center pharmacologist Mohamed Abou-Donia has spent 30 years researching the effects of pesticides. He has found that prolonged exposure to DEET can impair functioning in parts of the brain.

"Damage to these areas could result in problems with muscle coordination, muscle weakness, walking or even memory and cognition."

Abou-Donia says rats given even small doses of DEET for 60 days had a harder time accomplishing even the easiest tasks. Abou-Donia says short-term exposure to DEET does not appear to be harmful, but warns against using any product with more than a 30 percent concentration. Use as little of the product as you can, and don't use a product containing DEET if you're taking any medication.

"We found that the combined exposure to DEET and other chemicals is more dangerous than just DEET alone."

Abou-Donia also warns to never put a product containing DEET on an infant's or child's skin. The side-effects could be even more serious.

Snapper
13-06-2004, 19:45
I found this knowledge too on the following webpage: http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/1026490366.html

They did a test for how long popular insect repellants repell those pesky mossies ...

---

The list below shows the products tested, along with their active ingredients and the average amount of time that each product repelled mosquitoes.

1. OFF! Deep Woods (DEET 23.8%) - 301.5 min.
2. Sawyer Controlled Release (DEET 20%) - 234.4 min.
3. OFF! Skintastic (DEET 6.65%) - 112.4 min.
4. Bite Blocker for Kids (Soybean Oil 2%) - 94.6 min.
5. OFF! Skintastic for Kids (DEET 4.75%) - 88.4 min.
6. Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard Plus (IR3535 7.5%) - 22.9 min.&lt;
7. Natrapel (Citronella 10%) - 19.7 min.
8. Herbal Armor (Citronella 12%; peppermint oil 2.5%; other ingredients &lt;2%) - 18.9 min.
9. Green Ban for People (Citronella 10%; peppermint oil 2%) - 14.0 min.
10. Buzz Away (Citronella 5%) - 13.5 min.
11. Skin-So-Soft Bath Oil (Uncertain) - 9.6 min.
12. Skin-So-Soft Moisturizing Suncare (Citronella 0.05%) - 2.8 min.
13. Gone Original Wristband (DEET 9.5%) - 0.3 min.
14. Repello Wristband (DEET 9.5%) - 0.2 min.
15. Gone Plus Repelling Wristband (Citronella 25%) - 0.2 min.