PDA

View Full Version : Islands of Adventure

Pluto
06-03-2004, 01:01
Is there much to do at IOA for someone like me who just cannot 'stomach' roller coasters[?] Or will I have to be content with sitting on the sidelines watching the others enjoying (or trying to look like they are) themselves[msnsad]

kevinprewett
06-03-2004, 02:04
Karen,
believe me you'll love it!:D[msnsmile2]

sunshine state
06-03-2004, 02:17
Theres plenty to do, im sure you will love it.

zerotone
06-03-2004, 20:16
Karen, I too cannot go on rollercoasters, but love Islands of adventure. If you have any children Dr Seuss land is fantastic. Last time we went with our 7yr old son who took me on Cat in the Hat ride at least 4 times. Poseidon Adventure is also a must (walk through attraction with brilliant effects).

Jane

sully62
06-03-2004, 22:00
Have a go on Spiderman, not really a rollercoaster but a excellent 3D ride
tony:D:D

rinkytink
07-03-2004, 00:00
I went to IOA with rollercoaster fans and I hate them! I spent the day holding the bags which was dull dull dull;)

There are a few things to do but I would not be overkeen to go again.

sunshine state
07-03-2004, 00:33
Its only the best park going, it has rides for everyone and the park has a great layout.

Mike

esprit
07-03-2004, 07:35
Spiderman is a must. It is NOT a roller coaster. There are three good water rides. one rapids and two flume type including the themed one. Jurassic Park. You will enjoy Poseideons Fury and Sinbad , both of which are shows. BUT a lot of the big rides here are thrill rides so it will limit you a bit.

mikewj
07-03-2004, 15:13
Hi Karen,

There are only 2 real roller coasters in IOA, The Hulk and Duelling Dragons.

The rest are thrill rides, so depending on why you dont like coasters will decide whether you like anything IOA has to offer.

If its limited to the heights and hills, then the only other two rides you may want to avoid are Dudley Do Right and Jurassic Park River Adventure. However, if its a motion thing, then you're probably best leaving IOA all together as the only attractions that dont throw you around are Poseidon's Fury, The Jurassic Park Research Centre and the Toon and Sinbad shows.

Maybe you could visit the less intense Universal Studios while the rest of your party goes to IOA, then arange to meet them when they're finished ?

Ray&Sarah
30-04-2004, 00:25
IOA is good for the thrill rides but there are the steady rides for you chickens!LOL! IOA is definately the best theme park in orlando especially for the roller coasters![msntongue][msnsmile2]

amy
30-04-2004, 00:46
There are some brill water rides,doudley dorights ripshaw falls and blutos bilgrats, not fast and scary but very wet.:D

zerotone
30-04-2004, 11:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by hayter
IOA is good for the thrill rides but there are the steady rides for you chickens!LOL! IOA is definately the best theme park in orlando especially for the roller coasters![msntongue][msnsmile2]
[/quote]

I only wish I could go on the roller coasters and thrill rides but as I suffer badly from motion sickness it is just not worth the hours recovery afterward, not to mention the time during the ride concentrating on not being sick. I envy people like you who get to enjoy all the theme parks have to offer and call the rest of us 'chickens'.

Anyway enough moaning - I still enjoy IOA for the scenery and don't forget Dr Zeuss land - where would people like me be without this.

Jane

firsttimer
30-04-2004, 15:00
I think you'll love it.
The theming round the park is better than Disney and alot fresher.
There are several "walk thro" attrations like Posdeidon. The Dr Seuss area is lovely.
BUT it does have alot of coasters (not like Disney).
I found the park cleaner, better rest rooms and nicer than Disney, and the staff were more on the ball with safety checks on rides.
The fireworks were good, and visibilty good because of the lake.
I echo the comments about wetness!!!! In Bilge rats, as soon as you get in put bags and shoes and as much as you can in the storage bags in the centre. Go on the wet rides before it gets cool in the evening so you get dry.
TAKE TRAVEL SICKNESS PILLS FOR THE COASTERS!
If you go to the Islands of adventure website, it shows you all the attractions with mini videos I think.

lynn and ray
01-05-2004, 01:40
I agree about the rides Dudley Do Rights Ripsaw Falls and Popeye Rafts. They are truly the wetest rides around. Last year when I was there they had to drain the popeye raft ride as a naughty little person! had been riding on them for a long time and wouldnt get off. He then ran away from his mother up the side so the ride was stopped and the water drained for fear he may fall in.

When they finally found him, quite safe, the ride resumed and the pumps were re started. We were next on and boy did that raft move with the flow of water filling up. It was fast!!!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
01-05-2004, 13:20
We find the total opposite to this. Disney is cleaner, the theming a lot deeper and the staff more friendly. Last time we went to IOA the rest rooms were not good and could have done with cleaning [msnsad]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by firsttimer
I think you'll love it.
The theming round the park is better than Disney and alot fresher.
There are several "walk thro" attrations like Posdeidon. The Dr Seuss area is lovely.
BUT it does have alot of coasters (not like Disney).
I found the park cleaner, better rest rooms and nicer than Disney, and the staff were more on the ball with safety checks on rides.
The fireworks were good, and visibilty good because of the lake.
[/quote]

mikewj
04-05-2004, 14:54
We noticed that IOA isn't as clean as it used to be. The restrooms around the Jurassic Park area left a lot to be desired last time we were there in 2002.

We were there a week after it opened when everything was shiny and new. It now (obviously) has a much more "lived in" look, with some areas looking a lot more "lived in" than others.

tinkerbell
05-05-2004, 12:56
I find the staff totally different at IOA and US. When I went on MIB at xmas, I went on single rider, there was a foreign lady in front of me with her daughter and they sat down in the first two seats leaving me standing on the platform, so i went to go back inside tha barrier to wait for the next one when it closed on me! The staff all just stared at me (keeping in charcter?!) and did absolutely nothing! There was I standing squashed between the barriers until the next cart came along!!! I couldn't believe it! Funny now though, actually I sound quite stupid!

davebrighton
25-05-2004, 16:13
Im not a great fan of the coasters,but loved the whole day.there is tons to do for all tastes

ujpest doza
02-06-2004, 16:53
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by tinkerbell
I find the staff totally different at IOA and US. When I went on MIB at xmas, I went on single rider, there was a foreign lady in front of me with her daughter and they sat down in the first two seats leaving me standing on the platform, so i went to go back inside tha barrier to wait for the next one when it closed on me! The staff all just stared at me (keeping in charcter?!) and did absolutely nothing! There was I standing squashed between the barriers until the next cart came along!!! I couldn't believe it! Funny now though, actually I sound quite stupid!
[/quote]

Bit chaotic at times in IOA and Universal Studios i thought.
Did baby swap on duelling dragons and was advised to pick which coaster beforehand to make sure the swap could take place.
Zero queue to wait in but a long walk to the front meant it took 10 minutes to reach the front.There was nobody telling you which way to go for the 2 different coasters, no signs and it was dark.Only clue is one is blue and one is red. Picked red and then there was nobody at all asking how many in your party and then telling you which number to stand next to, just a free for all stand where you like and get on.
Single rider queue at universal studios for MIB was a joke.It said 15 minutes but took 45 minutes and the queue was full of quite obvious groups of people with hardly any genuine single riders at all.

Single rider worked a treat on spiderman however, walked straight on but the stand by was only 10 mins anyway.

caseyd
04-06-2004, 06:24
If you aren't going to ride the roller caosters, make lunch reservations (or dinner, same menu) at MYTHOS in IOA. Best food we had on our week in Orlando in April- and we went to some very nice places like Emeril's Tchoup Chop, Boma, etc. Mythos is really really good, and good atmosphere.