PDA

View Full Version : Budget accommodation near Orlando

Nostromo
05-03-2004, 15:48
Some friends of ours are planning to book a 2-week holiday in Orlando for October 2004. They're a couple with 2 kids aged 11 and 8 years. They have sorted the flights but are struggling with accommodation. Their problem is a somewhat limted budget and they are trying to save on lodging while keeping some money aside for Park tickets, shopping, dining etc. They will have a small hired car. They asked me about somewhere 'quiet and comfortable and not anything fancy' to stay. One place I could think of was the Gator Motel if it is still there. Do the experts feel it is a reasonable choice under the circumstances?

bellaepovera
05-03-2004, 16:15
How much is it per night? Dont forget the costs of everytime you even want a cup of coffee or a snack or meals you need always to go to a resturaunt which can add up..Add that up probably cheaper renting a home??

Nostromo
05-03-2004, 16:26
I also thought a small villa might be more economical. But Astrid was reluctant to be spending time grocery shopping on holiday, especially with 2 kids in tow. I just recalled someone saying that the Gator Motel was good value for someone on a budget, but don't know details. I'll check on line and see.

DMC
05-03-2004, 17:10
On a recent ITV Holiday Show, where one presenter was doing Orlando in style and the other was on a tight budget, it was reccommended to stay away from I'Drive etc and stay out near Kissimmee.

On the programme the guy was able to negoatiate a room rate, for $18.00 per room per night.

The rooms were plain and simple much like a Travelodge in the UK but you get what you pay for I guess.

chrizzy100
05-03-2004, 17:31
quote:Originally posted by Nostromo

I also thought a small villa might be more economical. But Astrid was reluctant to be spending time grocery shopping on holiday, especially with 2 kids in tow. I just recalled someone saying that the Gator Motel was good value for someone on a budget, but don't know details. I'll check on line and see.

I think their best bet...would be to find a hotel online with coffee and tea making ...fridge etc in the room......I also hate the thought of cooking while away....we still went out for most meals even with having a villa....with the cost of food shopping eating out can work out cheaper.....

huckleberry house
05-03-2004, 18:20
In all honesty I wouldnt advise anybody to try and do a Disney holiday on a shoestring budget,the park tickets and air fare alone can be very expensive and it isnt the sort of place to cut corners and penny pinch,I would find that spoilt the enjoyment of this type of holiday.My advice would be that they save for another year when they can afford it a little better and give themselves the sort of holiday they will remember for years.

Lesley

Nostromo
05-03-2004, 18:38
quote:Originally posted by huckleberry house

In all honesty I wouldnt advise anybody to try and do a Disney holiday on a shoestring budget,the park tickets and air fare alone can be very expensive and it isnt the sort of place to cut corners and penny pinch,I would find that spoilt the enjoyment of this type of holiday.My advice would be that they save for another year when they can afford it a little better and give themselves the sort of holiday they will remember for years.

Lesley

I don't think it is quite as bad as a 'shoestring' budget, but they are not exactly well off either. But this holiday has other significances; the couple are Finn have been married less than two years and Astrid sees this as an opprotunity for her kids to get a bit more used to their stepdad. Their philosophy is that people visitng Orlando spend little time in the rooms and so they don't mind if the hotel is simple but clean and comfy. They HAVE thought about park tickets, meals etc.

I checked Gator Motel and it looks good enough. There is a pool and rooms have coffee/tea making facilities and option of a fridge for $5 a day extra. I just wondered if anyone who had stayed there felt there were any negative points to consider.

chrizzy100
05-03-2004, 18:58
quote:Originally posted by Nostromo

quote:Originally posted by huckleberry house

Lesley

I don't think it is quite as bad as a 'shoestring' budget, but they are not exactly well off either. But this holiday has other significances; the couple are Finn have been married less than two years and Astrid sees this as an opprotunity for her kids to get a bit more used to their stepdad. Their philosophy is that people visitng Orlando spend little time in the rooms and so they don't mind if the hotel is simple but clean and comfy. They HAVE thought about park tickets, meals etc.

I checked Gator Motel and it looks good enough. There is a pool and rooms have coffee/tea making facilities and option of a fridge for $5 a day extra. I just wondered if anyone who had stayed there felt there were any negative points to consider.

I've never stayed there sorry.....but I have done Orlando on the cheap....and had a great time........[msnsmile2]

We were out from 8 in the morning till 11 at night.....with young kids too.....I'm sure they'll have a great time........[msnsmile2]

Claire
05-03-2004, 18:59
I think I am correct in saying that Gator Motel is the one next to the now defunct Jungleland Zoo, just before Medieval Times? Maybe someone over there could confirm.

That being the case, I am not too sure I would like to recommend it to any of my friends!! It looked pretty sad and run down the last time I drove past it (January) and is one of those places where the 'pool' overlooks the 192. In my opinion, if they really cannot stretch to a 'suite hotel', a Days Inn, Econolodge or something like that would be a better option as they are a bit bigger and therefore have a few more facilities.

bellaepovera
05-03-2004, 22:15
I know Travel lodge right across from old town charges $39 nightly plus tax..Not sure what is considered cheap?

Nostromo
05-03-2004, 22:38
Thanks people. I spoke to this couple an hour ago and they were happy to spend upto $50 a day for accommodation. I advised them that Gator Motel may not be acceptable and mentioned those other places you lot suggested. They were happy with that and convey their thanks. (Their English is limited and they do not feel comfortable on Forums and such)

phaedra
05-03-2004, 22:42
Howard Johnson at the east end of the 192, about 4 miles past the Walmart at Mile Marker 15 on the opposite side (just past the Best Western).

Stayed there 3 times for odd nights and 2 full weeks, room rates from under £15 a night if you get a good deal or about £18 usually. Clean, good staff, and if you can get a room in the 2nd block overlooking the pool the rooms are massive. We hired a fridge & microwave and I think it worked out at about £12 for a week.

Best place for rates is USAHotelguide, if the following link is pulled PM me for details.

http://reservations.usahotelguide.com/nexres/search/power_search.cgi?src=10007232&

Search city is Kissimmee, and scroll down the Hotel Chain option to Howard Johnson.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
05-03-2004, 23:55
Hi Nostromo,

When my husband was young they always stayed in "Efficiencies" Where he stayed is now The Super8 just east of Thacker Avenue on the 192 behind the best IHOP in town!!! These efficiencies have 2 bedrooms, a lounge a kitchen as far as he can recall they were cheap and basic but certainly not villa standards. I'm sure they would be a better off in a villa but it is an option to consider.

Sarah

chrizzy100
06-03-2004, 00:48
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
Hi Nostromo,

When my husband was young they always stayed in "Efficiencies" Where he stayed is now The Super8 just east of Thacker Avenue on the 192 behind the best IHOP in town!!! These efficiencies have 2 bedrooms, a lounge a kitchen as far as he can recall they were cheap and basic but certainly not villa standards. I'm sure they would be a better off in a villa but it is an option to consider.

Sarah

[/quote]

We stayed in the Motel part Christmas....the people are nice who run it....