PDA

View Full Version : Masterworks in Glass, Orlando Museum of Art

fiona
05-03-2004, 14:36
Chihuly Across Florida: Masterworks in Glass
Become enveloped in a mesmerizing kaleidoscope of glass sculptures by world-renowned artist Dale Chihuly in the exhibition Chihuly Across Florida: Masterworks in Glass, which is on view at the Orlando Museum of Art (OMA) in Orlando and the Museum of Fine Arts (MFA) in St. Petersburg Now through May 30, 2004.

The Regional Presenting Sponsor in Florida is the Progress Energy Foundation. These simultaneous, site-specific exhibitions constitute the largest presentation ever of Chihuly glass and the first time two major art museums have collaborated to show his work at the same time.

“We are proud to help bring Dale Chihuly’s cutting edge works to Florida,” says Bill Habermeyer, president & CEO of Progress Energy Florida. “It speaks to the strength of the arts in Florida that an exhibition of such magnitude has been developed specifically for shows in St. Petersburg and Orlando. We look for this ambitious project to enrich the lives of area residents and attract visitors to both communities.”

Chihuly designed the exhibitions to complement the very different architectural styles of each museum. The OMA’s building blends classical elements with contemporary detailing and provides an open, expansive environment while the Mediterranean style of the MFA provides a traditional and intimate setting with indoor gardens. The museums have joined to create a statewide celebration of glass art, providing a unique cultural opportunity for Florida residents and tourists. Chihuly Across Florida will bring national and international attention to Florida as a “state of the arts.”

caseyd
06-03-2004, 07:44
fiona: I posted on this a few wks ago. I saw it in San Antonio and was totally blown away- now am going in Orlando in April. AMAZING.

fiona
06-03-2004, 15:07
Well I only wish we were going before July as it looks wonderful. We saw the El Greco exhibition at the Met in New York in December - it has just got to London - and was incredible. This year I am dragging the mob to St Pete's to the Dali museum, we keep talking about it and never go!

Nostromo
06-03-2004, 16:20
Thanks Fiona! We are going in April-May and this looks like just the place for my wife and her mother to go when they are planning to sit out IoA. Both get motion sickness and don't do big rides anyway.

caseyd
06-03-2004, 20:05
Nostromo, see my post on this (a little further down the same "miscellaneous attractions" part of the forums) as I gave directions on how to view photos of the exhibit, if you are interested in a preview.

fiona
06-03-2004, 20:33
Nostromo I don't do rides either, but I am the lucky one who gets to be the bag lady!

Have you thought of visitng the Tiffany Collection? I'll do a search and post the link on here, (while searching I saw you had posted about it Nostromo so I am sure it is on your list) also I thought I had added the link to Chihuly's own site. - found it
http://www.chihuly.com/

sorry Casey if I duplicated your posting, I had a quick look to see if anyone had done it - obviously too quick a one!

caseyd
06-03-2004, 21:21
No, not at all, Fiona- just wanted folks to know I had given the picture site to get a preview of the actual Orlando show. It is so amazing, I just hope folks will try to see it if they can. Time in Orlando gets so booked up when one is planning, so much to do, and alot of folks will probably think "so what" about a glass show- but it is so much more amazing than words can say, a truly once in a liftime experience for us (well, actually now it will be twice in a lifetime!)

Nostromo
06-03-2004, 22:41
Caseyd, thanks and I'll look up that posting.

And yes, Fiona we're going to Winter Park again to see the Tiffany collection as well as the sculpture gardens. It is a good day to cool off after all the buzz of the big parks.