PDA

View Full Version : Parking tickets and Speeding Fines

george
03-03-2004, 21:24
Can all of you Florida regulars post info on what you should you do if you are a visitor from the UK and you get a [u]ticket for parking</u>. [u]Ditto speeding</u>.
When people from overseas get parking tickets in the UK they are not chased. What is the US stance?

dick wroe
03-03-2004, 22:04
i'm guessing here but i think in the USA it goes as a debt against you and gets recorded- all passports willbe checked against a computer and next time you enter- boy are you gonnna be in the S**t

blott
03-03-2004, 22:07
Some of them are on the spot fines, particularly for speeding and traffic violations.

Otherwise, just better watch out if you want to go there again is all I can say! See http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/visa/niv/vwp.htm The relevant bit is about two thirds down that page.

george
03-03-2004, 22:12
I think the wife can drive !:D

chrizzy100
03-03-2004, 22:34
quote:Originally posted by george

Can all of you Florida regulars post info on what you should you do if you are a visitor from the UK and you get a [u]ticket for parking</u>. [u]Ditto speeding</u>.
When people from overseas get parking tickets in the UK they are not chased. What is the US stance?

Speeding is a big no-no in the States......if you leave the country without paying.....we'll all end up having to chip in to bring you a cake in jail with a file in it on your next visit over.....[:o)]

adh619
04-03-2004, 00:00
speedy is a no no - the first post is right you will get arrested on re-entry !!!

neilandkay
04-03-2004, 20:43
Plus if you have a rental car, you agree to pay all fines & tickets. Not sure what proceedures the rental company will follow, but don't risk it! If you get caught - by all means try to talk your way out of it (but I am sure all FL police officers will have heard it all before) if the ticket is issued, you are better off paying it.

Over here is CA, a friend got a traffic ticket and an option he had was to go to traffic school. There he spend a number of hours discussing not how to avoid tickets by driving better, but how to get out of them! Go figure!!

--Kay