PDA

View Full Version : travel cheques

marv
02-03-2004, 17:16
Would any body know wether i will have a problem cashing $100 cheques, i do have a lot of them, will the likes of ponderosa take them or am i going to have to cash them somewhere else.

Thanks Marv

blott
02-03-2004, 17:56
Small stores don't like cashing $100 travellers' cheques (probably in case it wipes out their till float) but you should be OK in larger places like Ponderosa, supermarkets, etc.

I know it means doing a lot more signing but it's really best to try to stick to a mixture of $20 and $50 ones if you can in future.

Claire M
06-03-2004, 23:24
Hi Marv

I bought a couple of books from a store in the Florida Mall, they were not at all happy when I presented them with a $100 travellers cheque, she actually watched me sign it before she complained. 10 minutes later with a lot of huffing and puffing (I was going to empty their tills) the manageress managed to change it for me. My advice is always ask before you sign it!!! It saves being very embarassed when you have a queue of people waiting behind you.

I agree with Blott it is a pain to be constantly signing. My husband is always at work when I get the cheques so they are all in my name[msnwink], so it's always me that has to pay, the novelty wears off at the end!

fiona
07-03-2004, 00:10
Can you imagine what fun we had when one year our bank issued us travellers cheques in $500 denominations?:( Only place we could change them in Kissimmee was Publix (after bringing Gap to a standstill when I wrote it for approx $350 worth of goods!) and in Sanibel I had to go to a bank.
Now I specify 10, 20, 50 and 100 cheques.

07-03-2004, 01:50
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by marv
Would any body know wether i will have a problem cashing $100 cheques, i do have a lot of them, will the likes of ponderosa take them or am i going to have to cash them somewhere else.

Thanks Marv
[/quote]

Marv,

They really don't like them, I cashed some at a bank because we were having so many problems wih them and it was commission free.

Julie R

chrizzy100
07-03-2004, 02:12
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Julie R
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by marv

Thanks Marv
[/quote]

Marv,

They really don't like them, I cashed some at a bank because we were having so many problems wih them and it was commission free.

Julie R
[/quote]

We always cashed ours at the hotel or Disney......

Ray&Sarah
07-03-2004, 02:30
We always take $100 travellers cheques and have never had a problem so far, :) we had more trouble trying to use our US bank cheques because we have no US ID with a US address on it! :( So back to the travellers cheques for us next time as the ATM will only allow a $300 withdrawal per day.:)