PDA

View Full Version : Best Place to be

bajantia
01-03-2004, 20:33
I know everyone will say that the best place to be is where they live, but i really need an honest opion. Is it best to rent first then buy? or just go for it and buy? Here in the Spain the biggest mistake anyone can do is buy before you know where you want to be(like we did) I know we will not have the same problems as we we had here, language is the worst. Trying to set up the company was a nightmare and after 6 months of red tape and a lot of money we finally did it. Now we want to sell it hey ho!!!. But in all honesty we will probably find the american red tape not so difficult, i hope. So any ideas any body.

huckleberry house
01-03-2004, 20:48
Hi Bajantia and welcome to the forum

What is your intention in Florida,are you looking to purchase a home to rent out or are you thinking you can move there and set up business,and red tape, theres miles of the stuff !!

Lesley

Cowboy
02-03-2004, 00:13
Hi Bajantia,
Welcome aboard.
We owners, naturally, think our homes are in the best developements because that is why we purchased there. Everyone has his or her own opinion of what they liked. There is quite a lot of developement in Central Florida at the moment ranging from $150,000 to as much as half a million dollars.
I would suggest that you spend some time looking around the area first of all. You will get lots of information by using the search facility at the top of this page.
Mike

esprit
02-03-2004, 08:05
Can I ask why you want to move to Florida from Spain ( I think you are a Brit expat into realty there not Spanish according to your profile). I am asking because I know of two lots of people in the rental business who have just moved from here to Spain as it is a place with sun where we are entitled to be due to EEC membership and where you dont have to constantly battle to stay in the country and keep your kids in the country as a non resident alien as you do here.
We bought but we had been coming here for 12 years and knew the lay of the land If you dont know the place that well.then rent for six months and look around. If you have kids, then investigate school catchment zones. Pick the school then rent/buy within that zone.

bajantia
02-03-2004, 15:08
Yes we are Brits, but have been going to Florida and all over America for the last 13/14 years. We have a lot of friends in Florida(American) who when it comes to us living there want us to be near them. So i was looking for a s;ightly less bias opinion. We do want to buy a business over there but want the right thing. When i said easy red tape i meant there will be no language barrier as here in Spain. Don't get me wrong the Spanish are lovely people, but i feel as if i belong in Florida you just know that it feels right!! I do understand when you are fighting to stay in the country, but when you need a doctor for your 2 year old and cannot speak the language it is very frightening. We have overcome my husband having pnemonia and my daughter very ill in a strange country and very Spanish area where we live. Not Good. But all advise is most welcome.

steph_goodrum
02-03-2004, 18:54
Unfortunately because the US isn't part of the EEC it's not quite the same as Spain in that you can't just decide you want to move there and then buy a business etc their visa regulations are VERY strict so you need to do a lot of research into the best way to get into the country and live there.