PDA

View Full Version : FLYBLU Launch

Bazamor
28-02-2004, 17:32
I went to the NEC yesterday for the launch of Flyblus new service to Orlando(sanford) StPetes /Clearwater & Fort Lauderdale starting June 04. They had a mock up of the aircraft showing seat sizes and pitches and i must say it was pretty impressive. Its not a cheap ticket market they are going for , more the Premium Economy/Business class but the prices are very affordable imho for families. See www.flyblu.com for more info.[msnwink]

athurstance
28-02-2004, 17:52
Bazamoor - we are flying silver with them at Xmas. Did you try the silver seats - were they good or would you recommend upgrading to gold?

Angela

Bazamor
28-02-2004, 19:57
Angela, the silver seats are normal width in banks of 3 but legroom is quite good(38") . The gold seats are in two's and cover the same width as the 3 silvers so you can see, much more room. For the difference i am going for Gold at Xmas(17th) for the 4 of us (2kids 15&13) via St Petes. Cost £2116.40 plus tax which is good. The other thing is, the inflight entertainment is a personal dvd screen pre programmed so you can watch what you like when you like, brilliant!![msnsmile2]

ruthless333
29-02-2004, 03:07
Bazamor,
After reading your message on ASK the Experts........ just thought I would let you know I took your advice and had a look at the web site.... although you can't book on line, you can search for costings through to Summer 2005. This was invaluable for me, because a lot of airline searches will not go through to the April dates that I wanted.
You were right, they are very competitively priced for the seats they are providing and although they are claiming that price matching is not their aim, just good service and comfort etc., they certainly give the big boys a run for their money.

Angela,
Have a look at the site, although still basic, it does have (on one of the subsections)a picture of the Gold seating plan........ you might want to upgrade - it looks super duper......

Just a thought though? if the DVD screen is in the seat back, what do you do if the seat in front gets reclined?!!??[msnscared]

Anyway we will certainly consider travelling to Birmingham for these flights as it will fit with our itinerary - visiting Orlando, Daytona and Fort Lauderdale, so can split inbound and outbound if necessary at very little extra cost.[msnsmile]

OOOoooooohh I cant wait....[8D]

PS., forgot to add, they count a child upto & inc. 13 years. This is a bonus as my daughter will be 13 when travelling so we can get a discount on the flight price - BARGAIN -[msntongue]

Bazamor
29-02-2004, 17:16
Ruth, the DVd is not in the seat back but is given to you and is a personal type one which is freestanding. So you just put it on your tray table in front of you and fold it away when not in use.I would imagine they will be very careful about collecting them in after! BY the way the earphones are proper cover your ears type not these horrible things every other airline hands out and are very comfortable.[msnwink]

ruthless333
29-02-2004, 20:23
Bazamor. Do you know anything about the inflight meals/drinks/costs etc or luggage allowance. Sure it must have been mentioned but it didn't jump out at me.!!
If the DVD is handheld, does it double up (via a connection) to any TV/radio programs?

Bazamor
29-02-2004, 21:29
Ruth, it says on website Meals & drinks complimentary under FAQ's there is other items on there to see. The player is pre programmed and does include tv progs. Not sure re music i supect its the normal connection for your headphones. Luggage allowance is same as all others i believe.[msnwink]

ruthless333
29-02-2004, 22:24
Thanks Bazamor.
Do you know history of Flyblu, who owns/operates it? I am not up on airlines.

Tracy
01-03-2004, 01:33
Hello
We have also heard if this company and like that fact that you can choose the grade, we are flyihg out Silver class to Florida in October, but on the night flight back Gold ! Good price and we have been in touch with quite a few questions and they have been very helpful!

01-03-2004, 02:03
quote:Originally posted by ruthless333

Thanks Bazamor.
Do you know history of Flyblu, who owns/operates it? I am not up on airlines.

Hi ruthless333,

Flyblu is being started up by an ex rock drummer called Aden Murcutt, he will also be the Chief Exc. He is a 47 year old business man from Solihull who feels the Midlands gets a raw deal flight wise, acrross the Atlantic.

He wants to compete with Virgin from Manchester and BA from Gatwick, he plans to operate with two Being 767-300ER's - although I cannot find out if they are new or leased as they do not seemed to have been delivered yet - if they have I cannot find any records of them. The 767-300 is not as big as the 747's operated by Virgin or the 777's operate by BA to Florida.

I did find the operators licence application with the Civil Aviation Authority though.

They are recruiting staff through Jan/Feb. The web site looks quite impressive although you cannot book online.

Personally I am always a little wary of new airlines, especially when the Chief exc has no experince in the airline industry, having said that Richard Branson has done a good job.

I will keep looking and if I find anything else I will let you know.

Time will tell.

Julie R

ruthless333
01-03-2004, 02:33
thanks Julie R.
as you say richard branson did ok and so did Stelios!!
I would image, as with all new businesses, they will work wonders initially but unless they monitor their staff etc., standards can and probably will slip......... time will tell....... in the meantime I hope to benefit from the newness.
I was really impressed with what they seem to offer, and although not been able to do full cost comparisons for a definate date next year - feel that they have got the pricing right on the nose.

With this being our first time to America and my partner not a lover of flying at the best of times, wanted to try to push the boat out with flights so as to not undo the flying experiences that we have had and have sort of got him accepting of planes again (forgot to mention to my partner that some planes to far away places have two flight decks - he would really freak!)

Therefore their prices for Gold seem to be really good......and certainly give other premium type services a kick up the bum!! and make my dream of pushing the boat out (should that be plane?) for this our first trip to America a possibility.

So fingers crossed that the internet prices they are quoting remain pretty static.........Will just have to keep watching their site.

Please keep me informed if you hear any new gossip. Thanks!

01-03-2004, 14:53
ruthless333,

When you say 'flight decks' do you mean pilots?

If Yes then this is the norm, now most tranatlantic flights operate with a Captain and First Officer.

Only the older aircraft like the 747-200 and th DC10's have a Flight Engineer as well.

Happy Flying!

ruthless333
01-03-2004, 15:15
No, what i mean is that they have two floors? bit like a double decker bus???[msnembarrased]
well maybe not a bus........ but you know what I mean......[msntongue]
my other half would freak if he realised how large some planes are[msnscared]

Bazamor
01-03-2004, 20:47
Ruth , there are pics on the site of the fleet.I think the 767 is a single deck plane unlike the 747 which has an upper deck. I am no expert however and looking at Julies post she might be, so perhaps she can confirm or otherwise?[msnwink]

01-03-2004, 22:16
Hi ruthless333 and Bazamor,

Yes you are right they only have a single decked cabin, and definitely only one flight deck (where the pilots sit!).

Flyblu are intending to carry 230 passengers on the Gold and Silver configeration. Just as a comparision......

BA 767-300 Heathrow - East Coast USA 3 classes - 181 passengers

BA 767-300 Manchester - New York 2 classes - 215 passengers

Air Canda 767-300 Manchester - Toronto 210 passengers

American Airways UK-USA 2 classes - 212 passengers

Flyblu tell me that they have not got the aircraft yet, but they will be leasing them, but they don't know who from or what there registrations will be so I cannot do a search yet. They are not using brand new aircraft.

Should have more info soon so I will keep you posted!

Anything else you need to know just ask and I will try to find out!

Happy Flying!

wrpac00
05-03-2004, 02:21
Just looked at their website. In August they are dearer than Virgin!!!!!

Paul

ruthless333
05-03-2004, 03:21
WRPCA00, when you say dearer, how much? and what comparison are you using?
I like GOLD coz it seemed better quality that PremEcon and cheaper by quite a lot compared to Virgin, but I was looking at April 2005. Also I like the fact that they fly to Sanford, Virgin dont do that..... for me it would be worth the extra hour to Birmingham instead of Manchester, if I get a bit more space etc and quicker turn around at the other end......... but I must admit I am not an expert on flights and airports etc..........
Any way I am open to advice, after all thats what this site is all about!!! (also as an after thought is AUGUST not an expensive month anyway)

lisag
05-03-2004, 14:42
Ruthless,

Are you sure you don't mean August is an expensive month? It' one of THE most expensive months because of the UK summer holidays. Saying that FlyBlu only worked out £6.00 more than Virgin's economy flight prices for 2 adults, 3 kids travelling in August from 18th - 25th. As it's turned out I got ridiculously cheap flights with Continental usign Virgin codeshare (virgin flight) from LGW to MCO direct for an amazing £320.00 including taxes!!! But if I'd had to pay Virgin's full fare as advertised on their website I would've gone with FlyBlu.

ruthless333
05-03-2004, 14:58
lisaq, sorry if it reads incorrectly........ i know August is a dear month due to school hols....

My price comparisons have been for PremEcon(virgin)and Flyblu(Gold). When you say £6 more for Flyblu was that for Silver or Gold?, against Virgins Economy? Would just be interested to know for reference.

Like I said earlier, I'm no expert when it comes to flying and if my partner had a choice I think he would get the oars out now and start rowing!!!! (he is not a lover of flying!)

lisag
05-03-2004, 18:35
Hi there,

It was for FlyBlu Silver - couldn't justify upgrading to Gold with 3 kids aged 3, 5 & 7, in fact that's why we've never had the chance to upgrade for anything really. In a way I wish I hadn't got those cheap flights as it would've forced me to use FlyBlu especially as Brum is our local airport but to be honest I was a little worried just in case it doesn't get off the ground and end up being without flights in peak season [msnscared]

If you're having to pay the published flight prices as stated on virgintravelstore or Virgin Atlantic rather than go through a consolidator then I do think FlyBlu is worth it. For more or less the same price as Virgin Economy you can get Fly Blu's equivalent of PE. Sounds great!! ;)

ruthless333
05-03-2004, 19:15
Yup it does sound great. I suppose i can understand your worries that it might still not get off the ground - we can lend you the oars!!!
With us not travelling until 2005 we have a little bit of breather space, but realistically (i think) need to be seriously considering purchasing our tickets within the next 3-4 months.
Also, my daughter will be 13 at time of travel and Flyblu gives a discount for that age still....... so that helps as well.

Hope you have a lovely time, but travelling with 3[:0] children!! (cant you maybe get an upgrade just for yourself, I am sure your other half can cope with the children for a few hours on his own..........[msnscared]

lisag
06-03-2004, 01:21
Hi Ruth,

Just noticed you're originally from LIverpool? We're also Scousers but have relocated to Staffordshire/West Midlands 7 years ago - love it here and wouldn't go back. Also my mum lives in Chorley so I'm familiar with that neck of the wood :D

Hey that upgrade for 1 sounds great, only don't think the husband would buy it though... The kids are well and truly used to the flights now back and forth to Florida, when buying our house last year we were over 3 times!!! They are always really well behaved on the flights, which amazes me as they can be so bloomin' noisy at home ;) We just plug them into the inflight entertainment and start reading a book!!! Also this year Grandad is coming over with us (great for a few nights babysitting!!) so it's a lot easier, 1 child per adult or rather 3 children per Grandad :D:D[:p] Ooh wouldn't it be great to be offered an upgrade this year!

Speak soon

Lisa

ruthless333
06-03-2004, 01:51
Hi lisaq,
yes originally from liverpool, but brought up in Preston as well. Seemed to spend 4 years on average on a rota between places.... eventually when buying my first house, bought in Preston as my sister lived here too. Most of my family are in Liverpool though and I still visit regularly (Woolton, Gateacre and Smithdown/Dingle). I can still remember the family parties (when i was a little girl of course) where we were inviting the milk man in for a 'bevvy'!! due to the late - or is that early - hour!!!!

Where did you end up buying and what helped you make your decision?? Any regrets? Any advice -although i am probably not in a position to buy.........