PDA

View Full Version : Swim with Manatee

susangrah
28-02-2004, 03:14
Not sure if I should ask here, sorry if i shouldnt, am new to this and i am getting carried away asking questions!

Anyway, to the point. Has anyone swam with the manatee at Crystal River? I've had a couple of quotes to swim around christmas time, can anyone give any advice.

Jill
28-02-2004, 15:45
Yes, our two sons did this last Christmas and said it was the best thing they had ever done in Florida - even though they are theme park fanatics.

There are several companies that do the trips. Manatees are more active in the morning so some of the trips start as early as 6.30. It is possible to hire the wet suits and snorkels if necessary. The company we went with took a video and we now have a lasting reminder. If you want more details send me a pm as I am not sure if company names can be posted here.

Jill
01-03-2004, 01:35
For anyone interested in swimming with the manatees at Crystal River I have now got a link to a site which lists most of the dive shops in the area which operate the trips. http://www.florida-scuba.com/Crystal_River.htm#Resorts

chrissb
01-03-2004, 02:05
Yes, I swam with them Christmas 2002 and it was a fantastic experience. The guides were very knowledgeable and being so close to these incredible creatures was a highlight of my holiday. The company supplied wetsuit, mask and snorkel, and I found the temperature comfortable. It is only in winter that the manatees come into the river as it is too cold for them further out. As with Jill the company took a video which I treated myself to as a permanent reminder of this trip. The only downside is the distance from Orlando and the time the trips start. This means a very early start with a long drive. Still it is something that I would not have missed.