PDA

View Full Version : Is a laptop classed as hand luggage?

tracyh
28-02-2004, 01:38
Hi there,

Can anybody tell me if a laptop is classed as hand luggage?

I am flying with Virgin Atlantic and have looked on their website, but can't find anything relating to laptops in hand luggage information.

What I did find is 2 suitcases per person allowed, never had that before. Is this generally correct?

ttfn

esprit
28-02-2004, 01:49
Yes that is generally correct though scheduled at least you are not bothered about the weight. We brought two very very hbig and heavy suitcases out when we moved here. We also brought two laptops as well as other hand baggage. I brought mine on as a handbag!! Worked ok.

chrisj
28-02-2004, 01:51
A Laptop is hand luggage, ive taken mine all over (not florida yet) and have always put in
in my backpack and never had a problem. I have been asked to turn it on at customs etc
but then also had to turn my mobile phone on as well

Not sure about the suitcases, we only take one for us and one for the kids

Beverley
28-02-2004, 01:54
Hi Tracey,
I have taken the laptop with me the last 2 times I have travelled to Florida.

There was 4 of us each time, we all had a piece of hand luggage, plus I had the laptop.

Virgin have a larger baggage allowance than other airlines. 40kg as opposed to 22kg(I think)
Regular Virgin users will no for definate.

Have a fantastic time!

:D:D:D

Ray&Sarah
28-02-2004, 03:44
Yes it is classed as hand luggage, Ray flies abroad alot for work and always takes his laptop. Our last two visits we have taken the laptop with us to keep on top of any enquiries and the only thing we have been asked is to remove it from its carry-case when it goes through the x-ray machine. Sometimes they may ask you to switch it on, just to check it really is a computer and not a bomb. We always fly virgin and they have happily accepted it as a piece of hand luggage.

george
28-02-2004, 03:54
Only the dancers![msnwink]
quote:Originally posted by tracyh

Hi there,

Can anybody tell me if a laptop is classed as hand luggage?

I am flying with Virgin Atlantic and have looked on their website, but can't find anything relating to laptops in hand luggage information.

What I did find is 2 suitcases per person allowed, never had that before. Is this generally correct?

ttfn

SunLover
28-02-2004, 06:04
I believe the weight allowance for virgin (Economy Class) is 32 kg per passenger and one piece of hand luggage.

steph_goodrum
28-02-2004, 12:51
"I believe the weight allowance for virgin (Economy Class) is 32 kg per passenger and one piece of hand luggage."
It's twice that Chris and Peter
It is two pieces at up to 32kg each so it's actually 64kg, as well a a piece of hand luggage.
This is from their website
"Premium Economy & Economy
Two pieces of luggage per passenger, each weighing up to 32kg (70lbs).
When added together, the three dimensions of any piece of luggage must not exceed 158cm (62in).

The following items CANNOT be carried in your hand baggage:

Toy or replica guns (plastic or metal)
Catapults
Household cutlery
Knives with blades (of any length)
Paper knives
Razor blades
Tradesmen's tools
Darts
Scissors
Knitting needles
Sporting bats
Billiard, snooker, pool cues
Hypodermic syringes
If there's a medical reason that passengers need to inject themselves during the flight (e.g diabetics) they are permitted to carry syringes in the cabin. They may be asked to produce medical evidence when they check in or at the security screenings (a doctors letter will suffice). This should be kept with them at all times.

Upper Class
Upper Class passengers are allowed two pieces of hand luggage, each not larger than 23cm x 36cm x 56cm (9in x 14in x 22 in) overall and not weighing more than 16kg (35lbs) together. Each item must not weigh more than 8 kilos.

Premium Economy and Economy
You are allowed to carry one piece of hand luggage onto the plane. This must be able to fit under the seat in front of you, which means it must not be larger than 23cm x 36cm x 56cm (9in x 14in x 22 in) overall and should also not weigh more than 6kg (13lbs).

Wheelchairs, crutches, baby buggies and items necessary for baby care during the flight will be carried free over and above the baggage allowance. However baby buggies, carrying baskets and wheelchairs will normally be carried in the hold.

Matt
29-02-2004, 17:30
Just to confirm on this one. Virgin Atlantic DO NOT class a laptop as your handluggage and you can take another seperate bag.

I just returned and had my laptop and had to show it at checkin along with my other handluggage back (which was also a big holdal) and had no problems or questions asked.

The signs at check-in do say, a laptop PLUS handluggage is allowed.

Hope that helps.

Matt

Oscar1
29-02-2004, 22:02
It is alwasys safer to take less than more. You may find that flying with Virgin that if you travel Buissness class they will allow you to take hand luggage and a laptop. But as a rule your laptop will be classed as hand luggage. You may find that the maximum weight for your hand luggage is 6kg.
It is at the airlines discretion whether they allow a laptop & hand luggage.
Your safest bet will be to give them aquick call and ask, they are very helpful.
Remember there is nothing worse than getting to checkin and the say that your hand luggage is over.
Your luggage allowence is 2 x 32kg per passanger. 64kg per person is a lot of luggage, they do make strange faces if your luggage is bang on 34kg, but dont be put off by this it is your allowence. My advice is alwasy remain atleast 3-5kg below your allowance, the scales at airports are not very good and it may seem as though you are over your allowance.
I hope this helps you.
Oscar

blott
29-02-2004, 22:05
Having had a mega row with Virgin when returning from Florida over hand luggage that was both within the size and weight limit and being told it had to go in the hold anyway, that sounds like good advice to me Oscar!

chrisj
29-02-2004, 23:12
Ive just had a row with virgin on the phone about something else, Excuse me I thought I
was the customer, GEE do they need a lesson on how not to be rude

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH thats goit me annoyed [msnmad][msnmad][msnmad][msnmad][msnmad]

Ray&Sarah
29-02-2004, 23:37
Oh dear Chris! You must have got someone who really didn't want to work on a Sunday! We've always found them to be really helpful and polite.

chrisj
01-03-2004, 00:17
Normally so have I, Ive just had the supervisor on the phone and afraid I did a paddy
and went into one, well the upshot is as usual apologies etc etc, anyway I calmed down
and accepted that it was a trainee - yeah right, and its all sorted now

As you say it cant be nice to work on a sunday, but its sorted and alls well that
ends well as the saying goes

Ray&Sarah
01-03-2004, 00:46
Glad to hear that Chris. [msnsmile2]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
01-03-2004, 00:53
I'd certainly be arguing with them that if ladies can take a handbag and hand luggage then I can take a laptop and hand luggage - seems a bit unfair otherwise - especially given the size of some handbags I have seen [msnsmile2][msnsmile][msnsmile2]

chrisj
01-03-2004, 00:56
Yep so am I, its all sorted now so were all :):)

01-03-2004, 02:50
We fly Virgin all the time and have only ever had our hand luggage weighed once and on that occasion the check in staff told us to take our lap tops out and wieghed hand luggage without them and the even gave us little Virgin lap top bags to carry them in separately - we still have them - very handy!

01-03-2004, 02:51
P.S Sorry about my spelling!

blott
01-03-2004, 03:39
In that case, you're lucky not to have experienced the Virgin crew from hell on that same return flight whose supervisor told me she was paid 50p more than the rest of the cabin crew and therefore decided she wasn't paid enough to sort anything out! [:0]

Never flown with them again...

01-03-2004, 10:54
quote:Originally posted by blott

In that case, you're lucky not to have experienced the Virgin crew from hell on that same return flight whose supervisor told me she was paid 50p more than the rest of the cabin crew and therefore decided she wasn't paid enough to sort anything out! [:0]

Never flown with them again...

Did you report them?

I am ex cabin crew (20 years with BA including Concorde) and that kind of thing makes me very angry, he/she should not be in the job!

Don't except bad service from crew, take names and details and report them to the cabin crew managers, it gets delt with believe me!

Likewise if you experience fantastic service write in and tell them, good crew get awards for exceptional service.

Julie R