PDA

View Full Version : Driving License, photo required

Newhomebuyer
27-02-2004, 21:00
I just booked an Alamo car for the 16 March when we arrive in Orlando and was told that we needed a Driving license with a photograph. My husband and I have paper licenses and I have been told by the DVLA that the new type will take 3 weeks to process. Do you think that we will encounter any problems when we arrive on the 16th with our paper license?
Does anyone know when these changes were announced ?. My husband was out there 4 weeks ago and no-one mentioned anything then.

chrizzy100
27-02-2004, 22:33
quote:Originally posted by Newhomebuyer

I just booked an Alamo car for the 16 March when we arrive in Orlando and was told that we needed a Driving license with a photograph. My husband and I have paper licenses and I have been told by the DVLA that the new type will take 3 weeks to process. Do you think that we will encounter any problems when we arrive on the 16th with our paper license?
Does anyone know when these changes were announced ?. My husband was out there 4 weeks ago and no-one mentioned anything then.

We used to get a temp photo id license at the AA....don't they do that anymore.....??

kevinprewett
27-02-2004, 22:34
Never had any probs. with old style license before, haven't heard of any recent changes either[?]

steph_goodrum
27-02-2004, 22:47
We've never been told that I can't see why your paper license and passport (as long as the addresses are the same) would not be sufficient proof of identity.

Newhomebuyer
28-02-2004, 10:20
I was told this was a very recent change. I will post again if I hear anything more, in the meantime please let me know if anybody gets further info.

steph_goodrum
28-02-2004, 12:57
Thanks
We're going out Easter and haven't been informed of any changes yet so they are leaving it a bit late if they have recently introduced it.

jeffc
28-02-2004, 17:07
the car rentals firms normally use your passport as the picture id ..

chrisj
28-02-2004, 17:55
Just checked with a mate who works for Alamo and this isnt the norm, might just
have been someone new. They will use your passport for the piccie so theres no
probs.

He did say that some new rules are going to be introduced, but as always no dates
yet

royplumber
05-03-2004, 01:37
[msnsad]ive got 3 points on my uk driving licence at my pervious address were i lived before would that be a problem as im hiring from dollar dont think my address is on my 10 year passport please help me with

chrisj
05-03-2004, 01:41
Im sure they wont, others here will know for sure

royplumber
05-03-2004, 01:41
[msnsad] would i still be able to hire the car with
1,living at a diffrent address from were my car licence is registred
2, 3 points on my licence
this what i was trying to write on previous message
many thank for your feed back

blott
05-03-2004, 03:11
Hi Royplumber

Welcome to the forum! I don't think that'll be a problem as your address isn't in your passport anyway although if you have time before you go to Florida, it's easy to get your driving licence changed.

Points on your licence don't make any difference to renting a car and Dollar say that if you're entitled to drive in the UK then you can drive in the USA.

It might make a difference to your visa situation if you got the points by being arrested. If this is the case, you'll need to apply for a visa to enter the USA.

royplumber
05-03-2004, 06:03
thanks for the welcome
I didnt get arested i was caught speeding by a police speed gun
2 years ago when i boookedmy hoilday booking person didnt mention i needed a visa ? is this true

blott
05-03-2004, 15:52
quote:It might make a difference to your visa situation if you got the points by being arrested.Not if you weren't arrested.