PDA

View Full Version : First time holiday maker - well 2005 actually!

ruthless333
27-02-2004, 21:15
Have already posted message on Ask Experts and Blott has kindly replied.
As I mentioned there, intending to travel early 2005. On this occasion just as a holiday maker - have some time share connections - but my partner and I had discussed ownership as an option, however after reading all the comments I would probably reconsider (he wouldn't!)as initially I don't think we could afford to get over more than once a year - and by afford I mean the time factor rather than monetary - and reading other posts, it seems that once a year is not enough.
Anyway here's looking forward to 2005.............[msnsmile2] and maybe being converted on the ownership issue!! [msnscared]

benfilo
28-02-2004, 01:21
hi ruthless, welcome
We haven't had our house yet so I'm not an expert, but a lot of the posts were saying you need to go out often to do repairs etc. but if it was a new home I imagine that would not be an issue initially, and after it was more established you could get a reccomended caretaker to clean an do maintenance. you may find after a year or two you have more time for extra visits. Just a thought.
good luck on whatever you decide

ruthless333
28-02-2004, 02:48
Thanks for the thought!! Hope it all goes well for you when you have your house!! I am sure with all the support on this site, people have more chance of making informed decisions and having help if they encounter difficulties.
For now I'll just try to cope with making arrangements to get out to Florida - thats a minefield in itself!!!

huckleberry house
28-02-2004, 03:09
Benfilo

Sorry but youre not right.A new house needs continual maintenance as much as an older one.It only takes one guest with childrens mucky hands to mark all the interior walls,windows etc or spill a drink or burn the pots and pans etc,new homes can look more tired than any older home if it doesnt receive regular attention from the owner.These jobs are not in the remit of your cleaners routine and will not be attended to except by the owner.

Ruthless,good luck with your mission finding,I see Blott has done you proud so far :) and have a lovely time planning your holiday.

Lesley

benfilo
28-02-2004, 03:36
Hi Lesley
Point taken, but if the money isn't the issue can't the MC or caretaker do some of these jobs.We're planning to go twice a year initially what happens to these jobs between trips?(I'm after advice too, ours is ready in May)

Cowboy
28-02-2004, 06:43
Hi benfilo,
Lesley is absolutely correct. Kath and I have come over to our home, which is 3 years old, for a week and have literally spent all the time, apart from one day, doing things relating to our home. Odd jobs, shopping for furnishings, gardening, touch-up painting etc. Yes you can have your MC do repairs but at a cost, but the MC is not expected to check every little corner and their taste in furniture and furnishings and any other improvements etc. won,t be the same as yours. We still have several jobs to do on our next visit in June.[msnoo]
Mike.

huckleberry house
28-02-2004, 12:32
Hi benfilo

An mc may be able to help in some areas such as replacing broken or missing items but they do not generally have the time to spend on one house as they look after many,they may be able to arrange quotes for the work to be done and yes if money is no object then the work can be done by others,however if you are a successful owner finding the time in your rentals can also be an issue.I have had a quote to repaint the inside of my home as there are some hand marks etc and at $3300 I will be at walmart buying some paint on my next visit.Be prepared to spend most of your future holidays doing similiar as it is something all owners have to do if you want yopur home to be in top class form for your guests.

Lesley

kevinprewett
28-02-2004, 13:19
Hi,
Having been involved in property ownership in Orlando from the 'early' days - 1980 ( now I am showing my age!!!) until 6 years ago when I sold the last one, I have owned 7 different properties in differing communities from new.Believe me what the others are telling you is true. You will, if you wish to keep your new home 'attractive' to renters (and of course it is a very competitive rental market out there)have to spend many hours when you are out there doing many of these 'chores' yourself. As has been stated don't depend on your MC for everything.
Hope this hasn't put you off but all our comments are, of course, our personal opinions & should be read as such, in the end the decisions are yours & if you feel you would prefer to pay contractors to perform the 'chores' then of course it will free up more of your time over there for enjoyment. But isn't home ownership/maintanance a basic part of this enjoyment? Whatever you chose good luck & congratulations on becoming homeowners.[msnwink][msncool][msncool][msncool]

benfilo
29-02-2004, 01:34
Hi all
No it hasn't put me off, I'm past that stage. Might even give me an excuse to pop over by myself(oops i think my wife's looking over my shoulder)
Shouldn't have to do much gardening at least that's included in the extortionate home owners asc.
By an extaordinary coincidence a friend has bought a resale close to ours. The coincidence being I haven't seen him in a couple of years,I bump into him 2 weeks ago and find out we're neighbours on both sides of the pond.
Anyway I'm drifting off , we're hoping to check on each others houses if they're vacant.If I have to make more trips i will , make a change from DIY at home.
bye for now