PDA

View Full Version : first timer, please be gentle!

ruthless333
27-02-2004, 18:36
After finding this site, whilst searching for help and advice for visiting Florida, I must say how interesting and informative I have found it - and on quite a few occasions quite amusing. I have enjoyed all the amusing 'in-house' interaction.......... Anyway after having my fix for the last few weeks, decided it was time to try to join in and ask for some advice. Finally after talking about it, intend to visit Florida early 2005, taking in Orlando, Fort Myers (SORRY,amended,should be Fort Lauderdale) and Daytona Beach. 2 adults plus 1 child (13 years) plus if I can convince her, my mother, early 60's (worried about her arthritis and all the walking!).

Anyway, my help request is this:
Considering Feb through to April 2005 give or take, want to avoid america hols if possible, but not essential. Any suggestions regarding weather or best month to travel.
Want to do 'Disney' plus other touristy attractions, any advice on which tickets to get - AP look good but unsure of chances of coming again within 12 month window (although if boss knows I have used his internet on occasion, could be job hunting whilst there!) Also happy to split Orlando into two visits as holiday could be for nearly 3 weeks.
Would like to push the boat out regarding flights, is it worth paying extra for things like Premium Econ etc., or hope to be upgraded? Would rather not gamble - wide seats and leg room paramount. Have read mixed reports on few airlines, it is all a lottery? (Had considered Virgin) Finally regarding flights, should I be looking to book now or wait, are there any deals to be had by waiting until further along in year? Have also considered SanFord Airport after reading posts on this site and its ease of use etc.
ANYWAY, after my epic novel of requests (!) I wait to hear from someone,anyone,hopefully!! MANY THANKS IN ANTICIPATION.........

blott
27-02-2004, 18:51
Hi Ruthless333

Welcome to the forum! Now, with a user name like that, you want us to be gentle? [msnwink]

You'll find some advice on already about the weather, school holidays, etc and the 'best' time to go. Personally, I think any time's a good time to go to Florida! Seriously though, if you want to avoid the February half term and US spring break plus Easter, then it has to be mid - late April 2005 with the bonus being that the weather will be warmer by then too!

My Mum's 82 and has arthritis and she just loves Florida! I think your mother might find her arthritis might be a bit better over there because of the warmth and general lack of damp and cold as in the UK at that time. If she really can't manage walking, you can rent wheelchairs very easily either in the theme parks or for delivery to wherever you're staying.

If you want to go to a beach area too, then if you have three weeks available, I'd suggest two weeks in Orlando and one at the beach.

Schedule flights aren't normally released until at least 330 days before the return date so you have a bit of time to wait yet. I'd get on in the meantime with getting your accommodation booked - if you're first in the flights queue, you shouldn't have a problem getting them for the right dates, particularly if you go after Easter period. If you want to fly to Sanford, normally only charter airlines use this airport.

Never been Premium Economy or anything expensive like that! American Airlines is a good one with the biggest seat pitch in economy but this will be a two leg flight with a change of plane somewhere in the US. Not necessarily a bad thing as you get a chance to stretch your legs, etc at the airport but it does take slightly longer to arrive. The only airlines which do direct flights from the UK to Orlando International airport are Virgin and British Airways (if you're departing from Heathrow or Gatwick).

Have a search around the forum for recommendations about passes, etc and then try out the link for these at the top of each forum page when you've sorted out which places you want to visit.

Any questions - just ask! Now, that wasn't too bad was it? [msnwink]

ruthless333
27-02-2004, 19:05
Tanks Blott for replying........ I have been watching and waiting (bit like waiting for Father Christmas to leave presents!!) and hoping someone would answer my query.

You suggest 2 weeks in Orlando, would you not split them up? or am I making more work for myself? Also had considered stop over flights, but wasn't sure whether to go for as short a journey as possible, or make the stop over a day out in itself.....

THANKS.
(and PS., don't anybody try to tell me there is no Father Christmas!)

blott
27-02-2004, 19:15
Crumbs, I typed as quick as I could... [msnsmile2]

Usually, first time visitors have no idea of how much there is to see in the way of theme parks, etc in the area and generally then try to cram everything they possibly can into a week - it can't be done (well, not without needing another holiday afterwards to get over it!). Just thought that a two week schedule in the Orlando area might allow you some rest days (like by that private pool if you rent a villa!) and a bit of breathing space to see something other than theme parks. I mean, there's other important stuff like shopping, etc too you know... That's why I suggested a two week/one week split.

Stopovers. Well, these can be as little as two hours or as long as you care to make them! Most airlines have their 'hub' US airports in different places, depending on which airline you choose so most of the eastern or northern USA is your oyster really. If you do an internet search on flights from UK to Orlando (code MCO) for some dates this year, you'll be able to easily find out the options for changes or stopovers.

My general advice would be to book your accommodation first and then look at your flight options as homes get booked up early and the flights haven't been released yet so you have a bit more time to look around at options for those.

ruthless333
27-02-2004, 19:28
Many thanks once again Blott. Initially we were doing 1 week Orlando with 3 days in Daytona and 3 days in Fort Lauderdale (not Myers as I typed earlier, duhhhhhhhh., lets hope I'm not doing the driving!!)but we have the chance of an extra week, so will probably look at combining them together.

Also, can I ask some more... daughter would love to swim with dolphins - any suggestions, believe you need to book super duper early?! And seen as we are going to Daytona, any Rally Driving for us adults?! plus take in some Sporting events - any suggested sites to find out timetables/seasons etc?.,

neilandkay
27-02-2004, 21:01
Premium economy is very hard to get upgraded into. They are unlikely to upgrade whole families so if that is a must for you, then I would book it in advance.

ruthless333
27-02-2004, 21:35
Thanks for the advice, NeilandKay.
Any other suggestions regarding airlines and whether to book early, ie ASAP or wait till later on in year, would be welcomed.

Would like to be able to afford 'space' and prem.econ. seems to get mentioned as the affordable option. I belive Virgin do 'club orlando' any info on this, or similar,would be welcomed.

(Although Virgin do not fly to SanFord which I believe is a nice airport and quick to get through, and accessible for our destination. We would probably fly from Manchester.)

Partner hates flying, but after a few short flights, 2.5 and 4.5 hours, he is becoming more accepting - so wanted to try to make this one to America a bit special......... (me and daughter love flying although our ears still struggle on descending!)

Thanks to everybody so far who has taken the time to reply....... I will eventually think about signing off and going to cook some tea, honest!!!![msnwink]

Ray&Sarah
27-02-2004, 22:03
We usually fly premium economy with Virgin when we go to Orlando. We flew from Manchester at Christmas. Must say we preferred premium economy from Gatwick, probably because the planes are newer! Don't think we would pay the added up-grade to Club Orlando, didn't seem that much in it (only available from Manchester anyway). Have flown loads of times with virgin and have never had any real issues with them.
We're sure you will have a wonderful time and the weather in Apr/May is great as its warm without the rainy season showers.
We always take Sarah's parents with us and they love Orlando as much as we do. Wouldn't be a holiday without them now![msnwink]

andrewmckay5
27-02-2004, 22:06
Ruth,
i have sent you a PM.
andrew

ruthless333
27-02-2004, 22:28
Thanks Hayter for the information!

Andrew I have PM'd you back.

Once again, thanks to everyone for all the information. Reading all this information is just mind blowing....... goodness knows how I will manage once I am over there!!!!, - your advice so far has been invaluable and this is just for the planning........

OOooops [msncry]is that tea I can smell???!!!!!!!! Wonder if the take away's open.....[msnembarrased]

steph_goodrum
27-02-2004, 22:42
You're right about booking Discovery Cove early to swim with the dolphins, your daughter will love it if she likes dolphins and it's a great day out for the whole family as there are only 1000 people a day let in and it's fairly well laid out so you should feel comfortable if she wants to wander a little, there's not many places to get lost in.

We always fly Virgin and I must admit the lat 4 times we've been lucky and got upgraded to premium on the way out and once on the way back (and once to Upper) but with just the 3 of us going (our daughter is 17) it's not quite so many seats to find. Having travelled that way though I never feel it's worth paying the extra £350 to upgrade (if you buy and economy ticket and upgrade it works out cheaper than booking a premium economy ticket) as that's another off peak flight so figure we'd rather save it for another holiday.

The men can drive at Richard Pettys in Disney but it is an expensive trip.

I'd forget about feeding the family holidays are far too important to leave to chance - you need time for research. :D:D
Happy hunting

ruthless333
28-02-2004, 01:38
Thanks for the advice about flights and costs.

Is Discovery Cove available on a 'Disney Ticket' or is it something you need to buy seperately? How much in advance would you advise getting if on seperate ticket. Any other dolphin alternative sites?

Regarding feeding time....... we went out for tea!!![msnwink]

steph_goodrum
28-02-2004, 01:59
"Regarding feeding time....... we went out for tea!!!"

Sounds like my idea of cooking, of course if I can't be dragged away from the computer the local Chinese, and Pizza both deliver.:D

Discovery Cove is a separately ticketed thing from the Disney hoppers and some dates do sell out quite quickly. I don't think there is anywhere else that is within a day that you can swim with the dolphins unless there is somewhere near Ft. Lauderdale, there are a couple of places in the Keys.

steph_goodrum
28-02-2004, 02:00
"Ruth,
i have sent you a PM.
andrew"

Don't be shy Andrew why not tell everyone and then the question may be answered for any other first timers who may be nervouse of asking?:D:D

ruthless333
28-02-2004, 02:02
Thanks for that.............. will do some searches for Dolphins near to Fort Lauderdale also.[:o)]

andrewmckay5
28-02-2004, 02:21
Fair comment steph.
i was just singing the virtues of the virgin flying club and the points that can be collected on their credit card; especially good in my opinion for out of season flights; £500 for premium with points.
Used a PM as i didn't want to seem to be advertising too much and also seem a charlie big spuds because we usually go premium.
Looks rather silly of me to be worried when i see it written down like that.
regards
andrew

steph_goodrum
28-02-2004, 12:41
That's not a bad price is it Andrew. I might have a look into that myself and see if its worth getting one. Now our daughter is 17 and off to uni in the summer there may be times we will be going over on our own and also her holidays are longer so we can get a bit more flexibility so I wouldn't mind paying that for premium. When you try thr Virgin website it nearly always works our around over £1000 per person which me , being mean, begrudge paying. :D S

andrewmckay5
28-02-2004, 14:59
Steph,
well worth looking at the virgin credit card to get a load of points; 1 per £1 or 2 per £1 if pay £80-00 a year. i try to use mine all the time for work and home and they soon mount up. Plus normally introduction offers of 3 to 4000 points when 1st used. Seems to me with other bonus point schemes you spend a fortune on the card and get a £2-50 voucher but this is worthwhile if you fly virgin a lot.
PM if you want phone number for appliacations dept. Out of season you can get economy from gatwick for £180 plus 2000 points.
regards
andrew

steph_goodrum
28-02-2004, 16:02
Thanks Andrew. Using it all the timne isn't a problem with me , it's having to pay it back that gets me down:D:D

Bazamor
28-02-2004, 17:24
Ruth, you might want to try Flyblu now starting from Birmingham on June 4. They fly to StPetes/ Clearwater and Fort Lauderdale or Sanford.They have 2 grades of seating "silver" 38" seat pitch or "gold 45" seat pitch. The gold seats are also much wider. Prices are better than Virgin Prem Econ . Look at site www.flyblu.com , i reckon they will give Virgin on prem econ a caning!.

SunLover
28-02-2004, 18:03
Hi Ruthless333

You can get full details of dolphin swims at www.discoverycove.com

We've done it twice, and although most folk seem to think it is a little expensive, they forget that included in the price is also a 7 day admission to Sea World !

We've flown Virgin Premium Econ a few times, from Gatwick, and the difference the extra legroom and seat width makes is enormous. However, as has been said, there is little chance of being upgraded if you have a large group, so best to book in advance to guarantee those comfy seats :D

We always fly Virgin, and have always had great service. Plus, if you join the Virgin Flying Club, you'll be amazed at how quickly those air miles add up.

Hope this helps ~ anything else, just ask :)

KarenScott
28-02-2004, 19:14
[:I]Hi, as we have booked our flights with Virgin through an agent can we still claim points for them and if so how? I would alos like to change to a virgin credit card to gain valuable extra points if you could tell me how? Thanks. Karenx[:I]

steph_goodrum
28-02-2004, 20:48
To get the miles for your flight you need to register on the Virgin website or over the phone to get a flying club no and then whenever you check in you show the card to the checkin agent your miles will be added. There are some heavily discounted fares which don't qualify but most of them will do especially if you have booked through a travel agent.

SunLover
28-02-2004, 21:07
You will however only get your Virgin air miles added to your card when you have fully completed your journey.

ruthless333
29-02-2004, 01:40
Thanks for the information Bazamor and SunLover.
Will look on sites suggested......

andrewmckay5
29-02-2004, 12:55
Hi All,
as far as the virgin flying club goes if you get an existing member to introduce you via the internet site they get points when you fly and once you have your membership just introduce anybody your flying with and you get the points; 3500 if they fly economy, about 7500 if premium.
I have just introduced a friend and he has introduced the other 5 adults in his party. He will get 17500 points when the all fly out, only 2500 short of a free companion flight.
regards
andrew

steph_goodrum
29-02-2004, 13:59
"as far as the virgin flying club goes if you get an existing member to introduce you via the internet site they get points when you fly and once you have your membership just introduce anybody your flying with and you get the points; 3500 if they fly economy, about 7500 if premium.
I have just introduced a friend and he has introduced the other 5 adults in his party. He will get 17500 points when the all fly out, only 2500 short of a free companion flight."

Andrew
Have you checked the small print on this? The people you recommend must make their first flight in a "qualifying flight" for you to get the miles. The flight has to be in a full fare (I think it is Y,B,M and L + maybe some others - virtually all our flights are in Q class as are most of the people we have recommended. N class is the, I think the cheapest economy and doesn't even qualify for miles for the person flying it.
We got the 3000 miles for recommending my brother about 4 years ago but since then the rules were changed (you can now only recommend 10 people and get miles for it) and none of the others we have recommended have qualified us for the points. Unless they have changed it in the last couple of months that is.

29-02-2004, 14:32
We use Virgin from Manchester as it is so close to where we live, and we always go Premium, I know its a lot of money but the comfort makes a lot of difference.

Can you get miles if you are a Virgin Holidays fly drive or is it just if you book flight direct through Virgin Atlantic, and does this apply to the Flying Club and the credit card?

Cheers,

Julie R

steph_goodrum
29-02-2004, 14:41
You do get the miles if it is Virgin Holidays fly drive Julie , because the Flying Club is Virgin Atlantics loyalty scheme , the Virgin Holidays is Frequent Virgin Club. You present your card at checkin to make sure the miles are credited. Don't know about the credit card though.

andrewmckay5
29-02-2004, 15:58
Steph,
yes i know what you mean about the restrictions. I think i have just been lucky with the recommendations i have done and points received.
andrew