PDA

View Full Version : Key largo

Florida_is_no1
27-02-2004, 01:15
We are thinking of visiting/staying in this area. Has any1 been/stayed there? if so wot was it like and is there lots 2 do? [msnsmile2]

Ray&Sarah
27-02-2004, 01:52
We stayed in key Largo about 4 years ago. Would say that "the keys" tend to be a much more relaxing holiday than the ones we have had in Orlando. Best plan would be to spend 10-14 nights in Orlando doing the manic bit and then chill out in the keys for a bit. Good area for water sports, our son swam with the dolphins here at the place that was featured on the BBC program with Tamsin Outhwiate. Also a good base for visiting Miami and The Everglades. Quite a distance to Key West but well worth the drive, and its very scenic. If you go to Key West do the Trolley Bus tour and find out all about the local area.[msnsmile2]

Ruth
27-02-2004, 02:41
We stayed in Key Largo a few times before we had the children. Great for learning to dive, in fact diving was the main attraction for us there. Not much to do with young children, we will go back when they are old enough to learn to dive. I did dolphin swims at 3 different locations in the Keys but in my opinion none is as good as Discovery Cove which I have done twice:)

esprit
27-02-2004, 08:21
You can do a snorkelling trip out to the coral reef. My husband and kids did that ( I am not a brill swimmer) and enjoyed it. You are fairly close to the swimming with the dolphins place and within driving distance of both Key West and the Everglades. Apart from snorkelling/diving, there isnt that much on Key Laergo itself. Key West has more to do.

Gillian-B
27-02-2004, 18:04
The highlight of my stay at Key Largo was a trip to Theatre of the Seas (I think it's called that?) where I swam with a Sealion. It was a fantastic experience and even better than swimming with dolphins (and at $85, much cheaper!).

Generally though, I agree with the others that it's very laid back and a place for relaxation.

kevinprewett
27-02-2004, 18:21
Hi,
Moon bay conos on Key Largo has many private owners willing to rent. Private condo. in a great location. Almost opposite the Pennekamp ( underwater) state park - great day out for the whole family- snorkellin on site and trips to the reef. Even a 'reconstructed' site of a sunken spanish galleon, cannons etc placed on the sandy sea bed with parrot fish swimmimg around - great snorkelling idea even for the novice![msnsmile2][msnscared]