PDA

View Full Version : MGM Closing Time and Fantasmic! paradox

Nostromo
26-02-2004, 16:43
We're going to Disney MGM Studios on Wednesday, 28th April 2004. According to the published schedule, the park closes at 8:30pm on that day. But the unmissable Fantasmic! show is also scheduled for 8:30pm, which means that it will go on till 9pm. Is this normal or an error? We decided to start MGM a bit late, sayt by 11:30am and plan to finish everything and arrive at the amphitheatre soon after 8pm to get good places. But that is assuming that the 8:30 starting time for Fantasmic! is correct.

athurstance
26-02-2004, 17:30
It is normal - you can either exit the park or go to Fantasmic. When the show finishes everyone has to exit the park.

Claire
26-02-2004, 17:45
Plan to be there earlier than 8!! Disney recommend to get there an hour before the performance and, believe me, you really need to do that to get a good position in the middle. If you arrive later, you will get to see it, but will be on the side. If, however, it is busy and you arrive too late, you will either be standing in a small area at the back or not even allowed into the amphitheatre.

athurstance
26-02-2004, 17:48
We've never had a problem getting a seat and we go at Easter/Xmas time when its really busy. There are always lots of people heading in during the 30 minutes before the show and this is when we head in.
There really aren't any 'bad' seats - the seating is in a semi-circle round the central stage area. Be warned if you sit in the first row you may well get wet - we did - not soaked just a good misty spray but when its a cool evening its not that enjoyable.

caroline
26-02-2004, 17:59
There are a couple of restaurants that you can eat at in MGM where you then get reserved seating for Fantasmic - Brown Derby is one of them but there are one or two more.

Nostromo
26-02-2004, 18:04
Also, we're going on a Wednesday in late April. According to the 'Busy Day Guide' for 2004, this is a 'quiet' day for MGM in low season. So I guess 30 miutes before the show is a permissable risk.

Claire
26-02-2004, 20:06
I agree that there are not really any bad seats, but it is best to try and sit in the centre (I have sat in each section and don't usually visit at peak times) - that way you are facing the main stage and the water jets onto which they project the pictures. Agree with the bit about sitting too close to the front - if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction you could get a little damp! However, in my experience, you have to sit where you are told and don't have any choice. Slightly boring it may be (but an opportunity to get to know the people around you!), but I always try to get there early so I can sit in the centre - I learned my lesson the hard way after turning up 20 minutes before the show and was extremely lucky to even get into the little bit at the back where I could barely see anything.

disney dreamin
26-02-2004, 22:51
If you can wait until 7.30 - 8pm to eat you can always take a snack and some drinks into the arena and eat whilst saving your spot. Keeps the kids quiet but awkward to balance food on your knee when everyone around you is doing a mexican wave...

tinkerbell
27-02-2004, 16:08
We usually get fastpasses for TOT and R'n'R coaster to take turns to go off in pairs to break the wait!

Amirah
27-02-2004, 20:02
We arrived to the theatre about an hour before the show was to start. It may be psychological for me, but I have to always sit somewhere in the middle directly right in front of the stage or I just won't enjoy any show or movie or performance. So get your place early! I agree with everyone else here.

Nostromo
27-02-2004, 21:33
OK. We're arriving at the gates around 11:30am and plan to see the whole park in about 8 hours, with no longer than 30 minutes for a sandwich lunch break. We'll FP ToT and Aerosmith and probably Star Tours if necessary. Hopefully, that should bring us back near the Fantasmic! ampitheatre soon after 7:30pm. We'll take some snacks in, although I must say that I hate the mess that eating in a cramped area could make.