PDA

View Full Version : Ica Age FLorida

steph_goodrum
26-02-2004, 13:37
If it gets repeated on TV, it's worth watching a programme that was on Horizon last night - I can't remember the exact name but the sub title was 'Ice age oasis' and was all about Florida as it was 13,000 years ago during the ice age. It was fascinating to see what the landscape was like and the animals that were around, including 1 that apparently has only been found in Florida called the Glyptadon (that's how it's pronounced, not sure on spelling). It's only close relative is the armadillo but it had a much thicker shell and was much larger.
The land was much wider due to the large masses of ice further north causing the sea level to drop and meaning much more of the coast line was actually exposed, they have found this because of tree roots growing under the river and sea beds.
It was a really interesting programme, and certainly worth looking at if it comes around again as I know they often do.

Nostromo
27-02-2004, 10:26
Maybe people took Skiing holidays to Florida those days. I can imagine some of the resorts with the warning signs: "Beware of the Glyptodon!" [:o)][:o)]

mr flibble
27-02-2004, 12:50
Hi,
This explains where Blizzard Beach came from:D:D
Ian

Nostromo
27-02-2004, 13:31
quote:Originally posted by mr flibble

Hi,
This explains where Blizzard Beach came from:D:D
Ian

Good heavens! We're planning to go to BB! I hope none of us slides off the Summit Plummet straight into the Glyptadon's mouth.

steph_goodrum
27-02-2004, 14:25
At least you can avoid the Mastadons Nostromo, they used to migrate North because it was too warm and dry during certain months for them. :D:D

Nostromo
27-02-2004, 15:39
quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum

At least you can avoid the Mastadons Nostromo, they used to migrate North because it was too warm and dry during certain months for them. :D:D

North did you say? Now I know what those funny looking critters that I see in Oxford Street are!