PDA

View Full Version : Getting a US Driving Licence

Warrior
26-02-2004, 11:30
I am a UK Citizen and live in Rhode Island (since Sept 03) my wife and I regularly go to FLA, either fly or drive. In getting a US State Drivers Permit, they have recently brought out a graduated system fo issuing new permits. You must first of all have a social security number to get a licence, to get a ssn you must have a work permit (or Visa allowing work). It has taken me 3 months to get a work permit (I have an interim as the original is still not here after 5 months) the SSN took 2 weeks. Once you have al that you have to sit the written test, actually 20 simple questions, they then give you a Learners Permit. If you do not have an International Licence you can only drive with someone who has held a US Oprators Permit for 5 years.

The graduated system does not allow for foreign experience one bit, so before coming out here to live, find out the requirements by searching on the Florida DMV site.

I have 27 years of driving, no accidents or ANY tickets, I have a bike licence and a member of the advanced drivers institute and even a HGV class 1...It does not matter, they treat you as if you are a 16 year old.......

chrizzy100
26-02-2004, 17:40
quote:Originally posted by Warrior

I am a UK Citizen and live in Rhode Island (since Sept 03) my wife and I regularly go to FLA, either fly or drive. In getting a US State Drivers Permit, they have recently brought out a graduated system fo issuing new permits. You must first of all have a social security number to get a licence, to get a ssn you must have a work permit (or Visa allowing work). It has taken me 3 months to get a work permit (I have an interim as the original is still not here after 5 months) the SSN took 2 weeks. Once you have al that you have to sit the written test, actually 20 simple questions, they then give you a Learners Permit. If you do not have an International Licence you can only drive with someone who has held a US Oprators Permit for 5 years.

The graduated system does not allow for foreign experience one bit, so before coming out here to live, find out the requirements by searching on the Florida DMV site.

I have 27 years of driving, no accidents or ANY tickets, I have a bike licence and a member of the advanced drivers institute and even a HGV class 1...It does not matter, they treat you as if you are a 16 year old.......

I think I landed in the right State(MASS) at the right time......I needed no SSN.....I could drive for a year on my Brit licence.....I think my test took 5 mins....the cop just wanted to make sure I made left turns ok.....I was told at the DMV that I could not take my test without a SSN.....but I had paperwork to say I could......the cop said he thought I'd need a SSN.....but he took my Brit licence and passport to copy then come back with my Mass paper copy licence......my licence came in the post a week later....its best to look up the laws about driving tests in the State you're landing and living in...all States have different rules for taking test.....and different road rules...............

Amirah
27-02-2004, 19:55
We came to New York City first and we needed SS# to get drivers licenses. We didn't drive for the first 5 years we came to this country because we didn't have SS numbers and that was over 20 years ago. Anyway, who needs a car in New York City anyway?

In New Jersey, the laws are changing and are getting stricter in regard to drivers licenses. There is a major increase in identity theft here in this state which means that it will be much harder for non-citizens with or without visas to get driving priveleges here.

tuzanne
11-03-2004, 21:47
Do visitors from the UK need an american driving licence if they intend staying in Florida for more than the usual 2 or 3 weeks on vacation. My husband and I hope to spend around 4 to 6 months over the winter in our villa when we retire. Will we have to get one?

blott
11-03-2004, 22:18
No, not if you rent a car. If you purchase a car you'll need a Florida licence to get the insurance.