PDA

View Full Version : Hi to everyone

Olex
26-02-2004, 04:23
Hi everyone ...
I am a forty year old guy (Alex) who has spent many fantastic holidays in Florida .. both in Orlando and on the coast, in particular Sarasota where my wife (Dorota) and I spent part of our honeymoon nearly four years ago
We now have two children , Tomasz who is 21 months and Alexandra who is just over 4 months

We are in the lucky position of already having our Green Cards :D as my wife was fortunate to have been chosen as one of the lottery winners .. she was eligible to apply because she is a Polish national and through her the rest of the family were also given Green Cards

We will not be selling any property in London , as we are renting it out. What we really want to know is how easy is it to find a decent job in Orlando. Both my wife and I are well educated ... I have a Psychology degree and post graduate diplomas in Counselling Psychology and also Organisational Psychology, but I have been told that these qualifications do not transfer well to US and that I may have to retrain ! I have also worked in Sales( ex BUPA Private Health Adviser)
I know that Health Insurance in US can be very expensive unless you get it as part of a package from your empoyer.

I'm hoping i can find out a lot of useful information and get some tips about the move we hope to make to Florida.
If there is anyone who can offer me any advice or maybe even offer me a decent job I'd be glad to hear from you.... or anyone who just wants a chat about US, English sport especially football (Fulham FC supporter) I'd love to hear from you

Alex [msnsmile]

chrizzy100
26-02-2004, 04:44
quote:Originally posted by Olex

Hi everyone ...
I am a forty year old guy (Alex) who has spent many fantastic holidays in Florida .. both in Orlando and on the coast, in particular Sarasota where my wife (Dorota) and I spent part of our honeymoon nearly four years ago
We now have two children , Tomasz who is 21 months and Alexandra who is just over 4 months

We are in the lucky position of already having our Green Cards :D as my wife was fortunate to have been chosen as one of the lottery winners .. she was eligible to apply because she is a Polish national and through her the rest of the family were also given Green Cards

We will not be selling any property in London , as we are renting it out. What we really want to know is how easy is it to find a decent job in Orlando. Both my wife and I are well educated ... I have a Psychology degree and post graduate diplomas in Counselling Psychology and also Organisational Psychology, but I have been told that these qualifications do not transfer well to US and that I may have to retrain ! I have also worked in Sales( ex BUPA Private Health Adviser)
I know that Health Insurance in US can be very expensive unless you get it as part of a package from your empoyer.

I'm hoping i can find out a lot of useful information and get some tips about the move we hope to make to Florida.
If there is anyone who can offer me any advice or maybe even offer me a decent job I'd be glad to hear from you.... or anyone who just wants a chat about US, English sport especially football (Fulham FC supporter) I'd love to hear from you

Alex [msnsmile]

The hard part of getting a job....is getting one that leads to a greecard...so you've already done the very very hard bit.....:D so you just have the very hard bit to do and thats finding a job ....
Are you looking for work before you leave the UK.....if so do you have any idea what kind of work you could do....?

Olex
26-02-2004, 13:17
Hi Chrizzy ... you are my first reply ... :D Thanks.

I've been told it's a lot easier to find work once i'm in US :o), as most prospective empoyers do not take applications from overseas seriously.
I could work in the Psychology field.. maybe Counselling but I'd have to look at licensure and how my qualifications transfer to US.

To start with I'd be prepared to do most jobs .. just to start earning some dollars , as i believe once you have a job it's easier to change. Getting that first job , and especially in a new country is going to be tough .. i am under no illusions that it's going to be a piece of cake .. or should I say piece of pie !!!

I look forward to getting advice and learning a lot about 'living' in the US

Alex

steph_goodrum
26-02-2004, 13:19
It's nice to hear of soomeone who's actually got through the Green Card lottery successfully, congrats on that - we will just have to remain being green because we can't even enter it.

If you look at some of the local papers online they may give you an idea of what jobs are available locally.

I know there is a shortage of nurses, maybe there would be something in the way of psychiatric nursing or therapy that might appeal or be possible? There are so many health care insurance providers that maybe your experience there might get you a job in that line and I would imagine may well come with free healthcare benefits.

chrizzy100
26-02-2004, 17:18
quote:Originally posted by Olex

Hi Chrizzy ... you are my first reply ... :D Thanks.

I've been told it's a lot easier to find work once i'm in US :o), as most prospective empoyers do not take applications from overseas seriously.
I could work in the Psychology field.. maybe Counselling but I'd have to look at licensure and how my qualifications transfer to US.

To start with I'd be prepared to do most jobs .. just to start earning some dollars , as i believe once you have a job it's easier to change. Getting that first job , and especially in a new country is going to be tough .. i am under no illusions that it's going to be a piece of cake .. or should I say piece of pie !!!

I look forward to getting advice and learning a lot about 'living' in the US

Alex

It is harder to get a job offer if you're outside the States....but it still worth sticking your CV out there.....saying that you hold a greencard.....and what kind of work you're looking for...you can go to local job sites.....you may get interest before moving if they know they'll not have to pay your moving cost.....or for you to get a greencard......you could also sign up for temp jobs in the area....