PDA

View Full Version : Insurance after accident

NadimAshiq
24-02-2004, 16:20
Hi

Just wondering what would be the case if you had an accident in your hire car

Are you entitled to another hire car, or would the hire be finished?

I have hired from Dollar a few times and they do not make it clear what you are suppossed to do in the case of an accident

To be fair I have not seen any car accidents whilst in the US, the US drivers are much more polite and calm than Uk drivers

Nigel W
24-02-2004, 16:38
One of my guests had an accident over there but she called my mc and they helped her by taking her to MCO to get a replacement car but I am unsure whether she had to pay for this or her isurance covered it.

blott
24-02-2004, 16:43
First thing to do, as in the UK, is make sure you get the other driver's details! I think you'll find that the small print on your rental agreement stipulates that you must notify the Police and also the car rental company and provide them with any information they require about the accident.

If you have full insurance with the car rental company which includes CDW, then you still have a contract for the provision of a car and they should supply you with a replacement. They should also do this if the car has a mechanical breakdown apart, I think from memory, things like replacing tyres/tires, etc.

george
24-02-2004, 16:51
I had a breakdown when my wife drove......mental [}:)]

chrisj
24-02-2004, 17:05
Those are the 2 things I worry about when driving abroad, accident or breakdown.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
24-02-2004, 18:25
I bumped another car at some traffic lights in Washington DC a few years ago now. Another passing driver very nicely called the Police who were there in minutes. Both me and the other driver had to fill in some forms and I had to notify Dollar immediately.

No damage done to the cars other than a jolt to the other car (my foot slipped off the brake onto the gas pedal as we were stopping [msnembarrased]).

chrizzy100
24-02-2004, 18:54
quote:Originally posted by NadimAshiq

Hi

Just wondering what would be the case if you had an accident in your hire car

Are you entitled to another hire car, or would the hire be finished?

I have hired from Dollar a few times and they do not make it clear what you are suppossed to do in the case of an accident

To be fair I have not seen any car accidents whilst in the US, the US drivers are much more polite and calm than Uk drivers

Car accidents are cleared up real quick.......because you have to bring in the police and file a report...even for a tiny bump..you need that report to give to the insurance company..or hire car company......
You have a lot to lose in the States if you have a crash....you just can't afford to have an accident......thats why a lot more people seem polite in the USA.....

jeffc
24-02-2004, 19:53
also remember its never your fault never admit that it is...

NadimAshiq
01-03-2004, 16:59
Hi

Checked with dollar and as long as you have CDW then if you are involved in an accident regardless of fault, they will provide a replacement car without charge