PDA

View Full Version : JEEP OR PREMIUM CAR??

oakdale
24-02-2004, 13:03
Just looking for feedback from anyone that might have
rented a jeep.There will be 2 adults and 2 children,although
when we arrive in Orlando we will have a third adult with
us until we get to the villa. Are they comfortable to drive
and how much luggage space would they have compared to a premium
car ?
Regards Anna.[msncool]

Nostromo
24-02-2004, 13:07
I think it depends on the premium car. On one occasion, we had rented a premium and ended up with a Le Sabre; very nice and comfortable but limited luggage space. A car like the Lincoln Towncar will probably have more luggage space than any standard jeep.

DMC
24-02-2004, 14:04
I agree with Nostromo, we have had experiance of both and would say that it terms of luggage space, then a large car will beat the Jeep.

Internally they are much the same, but the car might have the edge over ride / comfort and room.

If you want a higher driving position then go for the Jeep, otherwise a premium car should meet all your needs.

chrisj
24-02-2004, 14:17
We always go for a 7 seater mini van (3 adults 2 kids), just means extra space
inside, when the kids are tired and ratty coming home from the parks they can
sit away from each other

NigelM
24-02-2004, 16:29
I have rented both types before. By jeep do you mean a 4 x 4 or sports utility?

In the apst we have rented a premium car and got a Chrysler Ls and on another ocassion a Cadillac!. last time we went for the 4 x 4 and were delighted.

We are a family of 5 and found the comfort and space in the 4x4 excellent.

NigelM

george
24-02-2004, 16:31
Go for an intermediate size. It is worth the few quid extra. Why drive for two weeks in a car smaller than you may have in the UK. Youv'e paid out to get there and stay in comfort why not just pay that little more. See if they offer you an itermediate first. If they have no premium cars in the lot they will upgrade you free of extra charge

Nigel W
24-02-2004, 16:34
I had a jeep a couple of years ago wasnt what I expected no room for the lugguage but then again I a used to the 7 seaters.[^]

kevinprewett
24-02-2004, 18:39
quote:Originally posted by george

Go for an intermediate size. It is worth the few quid extra. Why drive for two weeks in a car smaller than you may have in the UK. Youv'e paid out to get there and stay in comfort why not just pay that little more. See if they offer you an itermediate first. If they have no premium cars in the lot they will upgrade you free of extra charge

Goerge,
I think you are mixed up with your rental car classes - a premium car is much larger than an intermediate.[msnwink]

caroline
24-02-2004, 23:05
We've had "jeeps" several times and the luggage was as follows 5 largish suitcases 2 small cases at least 4 or 5 pieces of hand baggage it was a squueeze with 4 adults and a large child but it did all fit!

The squeezing on the way to and from the airport was more than made up for by the comfort of the jeep - which was great! We've had a Mitsubishi montero sport, Jeep, Blazer and a Ford that I can't remember the model name of but they were all fab!

allyneil
25-02-2004, 00:02
I would reccomend the Jeep any day, we are five and had no problem, however the first time we rented one was with Dollar and we had an almost new Dodge Durango - fantastic, next time was with Alamo and we had a beaten up Jeep Cherokke which badly need a service. Both were good for luggage, the Dodge even had 7 seats, but I wouldn't go back to Alamo again.

We also tried a full sized (Intrepid) but the lugage space was not as good and not nearly so easy to load / unload heavy suitcases.

Neil

dino
25-02-2004, 01:34
hi guys, forget about minivan, fords, intrepid cars, go for ford/lincoln navigator takes 8 and the drive is great. with big families navigator is brill.

dino

Malcolm
25-02-2004, 03:22
We rented a "Jeep" from Dollar a couple of years ago. In fact we got a Dodge Durango and the guys in Dollar said they had never rented Jeeps out!

The Durango was very nice to drive but I didn't think there was a lot of luggage space. We only had three cases and struggled to get them in the back.

Bigblue33
25-02-2004, 16:12
We have rented a Grand Cherokee(or similar) from Dollar following the link on this very site. Hope its the Cherokee as it looks lovely, seems a good price too. Never driven a Jeep before, so, looking forward to that almost as much as the Dolphins.[msnsmile2]

Don.

ianandsue
25-02-2004, 23:36
We also rented a dodge Durango when we went in November. Brilliant lots of space and good for the cases. Kids loved it to Going on our own next week so are going for the convertable! watch this space!
We upgraded to the Durango and it was an extra $25 a day so well worth it. If you hire through Dollar and have an AA card you will get extra discount.

Bigblue33
25-02-2004, 23:48
They give you a discount if you are an alcoholic? [:o)]

Don

jotter
26-02-2004, 00:50
I always feel safer in the 4X4 [mitsubishi montero] comfortable drive plenty of lugage space high driving position giving plenty of visability. If your upgrading at the airport dont accept the first quote always ask for a discount, last year I was quoted an extra $22 per day but beat the salesman down to $12 per day