PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Universal Studios

Nostromo
23-02-2004, 22:27
As I recall, we had to walk quite a considerable distance from the car park to the main gates at Universal Studios on 2 of our previous visits. Admittedly, it was July season on one occasion and we were late on the other and so we probably did not park optimally. This time, we're going there on a Wednesday in early May and will leave home early to be at US before the gates open. But, we will have the seniors in tow and don't want them to start getting tired before we enter the park! So, any tips on 'convenient' parking (reducing the walking distance to the gates) if we get there early?

blott
23-02-2004, 22:37
Universal have a drop off point for the disabled and also a pick up/drop off area at the level below the nearest car park if that's any help? However, if you're intending to arrive early and will probably be in the nearest car park, there's probably not much advantage to be gained as both areas are quite near to this and there are those 'travolator' things which you can just stand on. You can go on to park the car in the car park and arrange to meet up with them on the 'bridge' from the car parking area.

Just ask the car park ticket person for directions of how to get there if you're intending to use them.

chrisj
23-02-2004, 22:45
whats this no transport to the entrance :(:(

Oh well

Carla
23-02-2004, 22:50
I always use the Valet parking at Universal. It only costs about $16 plus tip for the whole day and you can't get any closer to the entrance gates. We always walk miles in these parks and walking in from the car park is fine, but coming out again all I want is to get to the car as quickly as possible, so I figure that Valet parking is money well spent!!!

blott
23-02-2004, 22:50
They used to have before IOA was built but now it's Shank's pony I'm afraid...

For those US viewers, Shank's Pony = you have to walk - John

Nostromo
23-02-2004, 23:04
quote:Originally posted by Carla

I always use the Valet parking at Universal. It only costs about $16 plus tip for the whole day and you can't get any closer to the entrance gates. We always walk miles in these parks and walking in from the car park is fine, but coming out again all I want is to get to the car as quickly as possible, so I figure that Valet parking is money well spent!!!

I agree, assuming that I've understood this right. Normal parking is now $8 at the Universal and so $16 for valet parking is nothing, especially with the current exchange rate. I did not know that this service was availble. We only need it for a day as the seniors are not coming to IoA. Do we have to BOOK Valet Parking beforehand? And what happens, do we just drive to the main entrance, pay up and request parking? How about the pick-up? Please advice.

Matt
23-02-2004, 23:26
I have just returned from my Villa and me and a group of friends went to Universal.

I didn't see any valet parking signs on this trip, but was offered preferred parking at the entrance to the car park. Sorry, but as we didn't take it I don't know how much it was, or where the 'preferred' parking was[:I][:I]

Matt

Matt
23-02-2004, 23:28
Sorry, one more point on Universal, all this preferred stuff over there was giving me and my friends the needle!!

They have the new express pass option which allows you to upgrade your ticket in order to use the express lanes, but once they are sold out they then close down all the fastpass points leaving us plebs standing in the hour long lines. We certainly were not impressed[msnmad][msnmad]

Oh, and we arrived at around 10ish and all of the express upgrades had already gone!!

Matt

Carla
24-02-2004, 00:20
When you drive up towards the Universal, Nostromo, the Car Parks are on your right, so stay in the left hand lane and look for the sign that points left towards the Valet Parking. This will be near where the Taxis and Buses are.

You don't need to book. Just turn up, give your keys and car, and take the ticket that the Valet gives you. When you return to your car you will need to pay for the parking.

Ray&Sarah
24-02-2004, 00:42
We did preferred parking at Universal Studios at Christmas, it was quite a bit closer and cost $12 instead of the $8 for normal parking.

chrisj
24-02-2004, 01:27
quote:Originally posted by blott

They used to have before IOA was built but now it's Shank's pony I'm afraid...

My mum on a pony would be a funny sight :D

Nostromo
24-02-2004, 04:22
quote:Originally posted by Carla

When you drive up towards the Universal, Nostromo, the Car Parks are on your right, so stay in the left hand lane and look for the sign that points left towards the Valet Parking. This will be near where the Taxis and Buses are.

You don't need to book. Just turn up, give your keys and car, and take the ticket that the Valet gives you. When you return to your car you will need to pay for the parking.

Thanks Carla. That puts my mind at rest.