PDA

View Full Version : Totally Lost

TeddyB
23-02-2004, 18:51
Help!!!
I am totally new to Florida and i am planning to take my family in 2005 except im not too sure when is the best time to travel and the best areas to rent a villa. I have a niece of 12 who will be going but we are trying to fit the holiday around her uk schooling so that we only need to take her out of school for one week. We are also trying to avoid like everyone else the hot summer and busy periods at the parks. please can anyone help? thankyou

Nostromo
23-02-2004, 18:56
The best times are a) Between 20th April and 15th May assuming that Easter is at least a week gone on April 20th; and b) All of October. You get the best combination of good weather, very little rain and moderate crowds. I am more or less in the same position as you, because even though we have been to orlando 4 times before, this spring will be our first attempt at villa renting. We've rented one at Orange Tree, but most villas in that US192 / 27 corridor seem to be good. There are plenty of British owners on this site and I am sure they'll help you. They certainly helped me and I was REALLY spoilt for choice.

chrisj
23-02-2004, 19:12
Have you checked the school, All the ones round here now refuse to let you take your
kids out of school. There's also some government thing about parents being fined if they
take their kids out of school for a holiday

pbensur
23-02-2004, 19:22
Welcome to the forum TeddyB! I agree that October is a great time to go and also April/May avoiding the Easter traffic. Best of luck with your planning - there is lots of help to be found on this forum. If you don't find answers, then ask away!

huckleberry house
23-02-2004, 19:43
Hello Teddyb

Assuming the school allow it and permission is sought and granted there shouldnt be a problem,as far as I am aware the fine will only apply to parents who persistently remove their children from school without first seeking permission.

This would leave you the choice of either February,May or october half term.February can be a little chilly although not always, but the dates frequently clash with American spring break week so could be very busy.May and October are both fantastic weather wise and out of the two October should be the quietest and may well also be cheaper for airfares.

There are many communities to choose from but almost all of them will be approx 10/15 minutes from the attractions.

Lesley

orlandobabe
23-02-2004, 19:47
I find the October holidays very popular with guests. The lady going in this Oct booked 18 months in advance-so if that is when you choose to go-you need to think about booking now-or all the best villas will have gone.

caroline
23-02-2004, 20:50
I agree we love October and a lot of schools seem to be getting 2 weeks off around this half term, we always go to the parks and find the waiting time for rides to be minimal.

ianandsue
23-02-2004, 22:03
April is our favourite time, just what you need after an English Winter! But this year we are going to go in October for the first time, so watch this space!

TeddyB
24-02-2004, 01:15
As you can probably tell im new to this message forum but you have been really helpful and we are now looking at going in early may 2005, thats if the school permits my niece to have the days off. keeping my fingers crossed. Mind you it is lucky that ive got over a year to plan the holiday as it will take me that long to understand all those park tickets etc

hamptonlakes
24-02-2004, 01:29
Hiya Teddy[msnsmile2]

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the most informative forum on orlando, florida.

You have found the right place to learn all you need to know about orlando, florida. I like to travel the last 2 weeks of September and have done for the past 3 years and the weather has always been great not to hot and not to cold and the parks are to busy buy busy enough.

So feel free to ask away all the questions you have and we will do our best to answer them and help you out.[msnsmile2]

benfilo
24-02-2004, 02:35
hi TeddyB
W've always found october to be one of the best times { went in February once, Blizzard Beach lived up to it's name). As for taking kids out of school we're in the same position we're taking them out for a week,if we took them out for 2 we could save £900.
Perhaps if the Government fined tour operators for ripping us off , sorry I mean charging premium rates for peak times, then most parents would choose to travel during school holidys.
sorry I went off on one then and forgot to welcome you, have a good one.

LesleyB
24-02-2004, 10:08
Hi Teddy B

Re your niece and the school. We found it really helps to see the head teacher personally - we did this to coincide with parents evening as we are taking the kids out of school for two weeks when we close on our villa and we have already had one week out of school in October. The head was very understanding and commented that it was nice that we had asked for permission rather than taking things for granted. We know other parents did not have such an easy time as us!

Lesley[msnsmile2]

sully62
26-02-2004, 03:15
Hi !
I agree with LesleyB, approach the school, we went for 3 wks last oct in term time spoke to the headmaster although he didn't agree with the kids missing school he authorised their time off, he also thanked us for approaching him and gave them some work to do so they didn't fall behind (not that they did it)
tony