PDA

View Full Version : keeping children happy on plane

marv
21-02-2004, 05:02
Hi
Were off in April and the 91/2 hour plane journey is something ime not looking forward too. I have a 12 year old and 2 10 yr olds what can i do to keep them amused. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks Marv

jen
21-02-2004, 12:50
Hi

I always have a bag with goodies in, little games, craft sets, puzzles, etc and I get them out as and when they start to get bored.
We made the mistake of giving them a bag full of new things once and they just didn't know what to play with first so now I just surprise them every now and then when they start getting fidgity!

You can get lots of freebies online - puzzles etc educational but fun.

Jen

caroline
21-02-2004, 13:34
Hi Mary

Do they have game boys? That is always a big hit with our 12 year old, also his walkman with Harry Potter stories (they're SOOOOOO long!) the other thing we always take is a wordsearch book.

Have a great time!

Ray&Sarah
21-02-2004, 14:03
Our 12 year old takes his gameboy, books to read, puzzle books and watches the in-flight entertainment. He says he's bored but has never really been a problem! It's amazing how quickly the flight will go by, especially if they can watch films that are about 90 minutes long!

chrisj
21-02-2004, 17:34
Ours take their gameboys, that keeps them quiet for most of the flight

caroline
21-02-2004, 17:52
Another tip with kids is to take sandwiches, crisps, drinks etc so they can eat whenever they like as more often than not they don't like the airline food - just remember not to take anything fruit/meat they haven't eaten into the US :)

23-02-2004, 01:30
Hi Mary,

I have 5 children, ages 20, 19, 14, 6 and 2, we have flown to Florida/New York/Washington/Chicago since the eldest was 4 and I agree with the other posts that that Game Boys (take head phones so as not to annoy other passengers) are a great hit as are Walkmans. Also my husband and my older boys take their lap tops and watch DVD's on them, my 2 and 6 year olds sit there like little business men watching films on Daddys lap top!

Get a bag of new stuff to dish out along the way, pencils, puzzles, magazines etc.

You can order the 10 year olds childrens meals which are also good novelty value and they get fed first!

Good luck and enjoy the flight!

P.S Which airline are you traveling with?

marv
23-02-2004, 02:59
Were traveling with britannia from Gatwick to Sanford

23-02-2004, 23:50
quote:Originally posted by marv

Were traveling with britannia from Gatwick to Sanford

I don't know Sanford as we always use Orlando Int.

Hope tips have been helpful and you have a great flight!

pieman6
06-04-2004, 17:50
Anybody know if you can take portable DVD players on US airways?

chrisj
06-04-2004, 17:58
Yes we have done this before and had no problems

Ray&Sarah
06-04-2004, 20:56
I think its a bit like taking your lap-top really.

brizzle
06-04-2004, 23:36
I was told by someone that you can't use the CD/DVD drive in a laptop on a plane.
Is this not true then?

Brizzle

Nigel W
07-04-2004, 00:46
Just for take off and landing, when we fly we get our 4 year old watching his dvds.[msnwink]

07-04-2004, 01:31
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by brizzle
I was told by someone that you can't use the CD/DVD drive in a laptop on a plane.
Is this not true then?

Brizzle
[/quote]

Not true, just can't use it on take off or landing as previously said.

Nicjmc
07-04-2004, 08:17
Slightly unconventional but i always let my 3 and 12 year old have a couple of late nights before the big day.After the initial excitement of take off,looking out of the window etc they always fall fast asleep and they never seem to suffer with jet lag either....and most importantly I get to watch the movies in peace[msnwink]

mikewj
07-04-2004, 17:37
What is it about DVD/CD players on take off and landing ?

Is it down to the laser affecting equipment somehow ?

07-04-2004, 19:10
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mikewj
What is it about DVD/CD players on take off and landing ?

Is it down to the laser affecting equipment somehow ?
[/quote]

It is not just DVD/CD its all electronic equipment - video's, ipods, digital cameras etc - think they worry about interference - if you send a text message once the aircraft is moving it makes a noise and put lines all over the computer screens in the flight deck!

Pikey1999
08-04-2004, 19:19
Digital equipment can remotely interfere with other external/separate equipment. I use digital radios at work and they have an annoying habit of occasionally setting off the shredder from a distance of about 10' and under.
And that's without transmitting!
I believe that hard drives within iPods, computers, etc also causes similar interference.
Best to leave them switched off until it's safe!!!;)

Jo
07-06-2004, 01:23
Don't forget spare batteries for the game boys. While you are there pop into Walmart - you may be able to pick up some games for $10. We got Pacman amongst other things. Keep them secret until the boredom hits on the way home, and you might have invested in some peace! [msnwink]

We bought CD players out there for $20 each too.

We have a whole set of travel games too , which are useful if they want play with someone else. Those little puzzles with 15 tiles you have to get in the right order. Look out for bits and bobs at school fete etc. I stash these things away for such occasions. Keep them a surprise though - you'll get a few extra minutes novelty factor.

Story CDs are good too , such as Harry Potter or Jacqueline Wilson - you can hire them from the library or buy them cheaply on Ebay.

I have 2 10 year old boys and a 6 year old. Swap seats every so often , so people get someone different to talk to / play with. Useful if they fight/argue which mine do![B)]

tigger66
22-08-2005, 01:04
hey i'm 11 and i mainly read and listen to my mp3player and play games with my brother on the plane
we're travelling with virgin and there's movies, good tv and a kids pack

tigger66
22-08-2005, 01:51
there's also cheap gameboy games on ebay we've ordered for our trip on the 30th august 2005