PDA

View Full Version : Rules Of The Road

bond
20-02-2004, 16:43
Hi Everyone,

I come to a crossroads and there are 4 Stop signs (one for each section of road). I am the first vehicle to reach the Stop sign and stop and I want to turn left. Seconds later another vehicle comes to a stop directly opposite me and I would have to cut across his path to make my left. Who has the right of way?

kevinprewett
20-02-2004, 17:02
quote:Originally posted by bond

Hi Everyone,

I come to a crossroads and there are 4 Stop signs (one for each section of road). I am the first vehicle to reach the Stop sign and stop and I want to turn left. Seconds later another vehicle comes to a stop directly opposite me and I would have to cut across his path to make my left. Who has the right of way?

You move in the order you arrive at the junction[msncool]

bond
20-02-2004, 17:28
Hi Kevin,

Even if it means I cut across the other guys path?

george
20-02-2004, 17:32
Why not....my wife does it in the UK!

george
20-02-2004, 17:34
I have found that the only times that there is confusion at a four way is if there are four tourist cars . Man, that must be an insurance company nightmare.

kevinprewett
20-02-2004, 18:22
quote:Originally posted by bond

Hi Kevin,

Even if it means I cut across the other guys path?

Yes!
just hope he's a us resident not a visitor[msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

blott
20-02-2004, 19:04
I know it sounds crazy if you're used to driving in the UK but it does work as US drivers tend to be really polite at four way junctions.

Just start off slowly just in case the other car is driven by a tourist who doesn't know how it works! [msnwink]

bond
20-02-2004, 19:10
He was a visitor like me. I did cut across his path as I believed I had a right to. He started shouting about Rules Of The Road and I started shouting back. But I came away thinking maybe I was wrong because in the UK and Ireland you do not do it the 'American' way.

chrizzy100
20-02-2004, 19:17
quote:Originally posted by blott

I know it sounds crazy if you're used to driving in the UK but it does work as US drivers tend to be really polite at four way junctions.

Just start off slowly just in case the other car is driven by a tourist who doesn't know how it works! [msnwink]

They're not being polite blott...its fear.........LOL!

Here in Mass....at a four way.....the first one at the stop sign is the first to go....if two of you stop at the same time you give way to the person on your right.....always make eye contact and move off slow........[msnwink]

firsttimer
20-02-2004, 19:54
...And make sure you stop and not just slow down.

ps Please let me know where this junction is and we will avoid it!

chrizzy100
20-02-2004, 20:22
quote:Originally posted by firsttimer

...And make sure you stop and not just slow down.

ps Please let me know where this junction is and we will avoid it!

4 way stops are everywhere....along with 2 way stops......always stop at a stop sign.....no rolling stops..that can get you a ticket.....

chrisj
21-02-2004, 00:57
Glad we have roundabouts then :D

chrizzy100
21-02-2004, 01:27
quote:Originally posted by chrisj

Glad we have roundabouts then :D

You'd not say that if you lived on the Cape......they're a nightmare....no one in America knows the meaning of Give Way.....they let one car pass on the roundabout then pull out in the flow of traffic room or not....they think its like a stop sign...let one car pass then its my turn.....

chrisj
21-02-2004, 01:31
:D:D that can and does happen here sometimes as well

Amirah
21-02-2004, 06:35
At a 4 way I take it slow. I don't know how big the stops are in Orlando but here in Jersey we drivers wave at each other to let each other know who is going to move first.