PDA

View Full Version : Is Fort Meyers worth visiting

haras
14-10-2014, 13:32
Driving up from Key West and want to stay somewhere different for a couple of nights on the way to Orlando. Have tried Naples in the past and thought about FM.
Is there much to see and do there ??

Markerhouse
14-10-2014, 14:42
Fort Myers is a large, sprawling area - Fort Myers Beach is some 20+ miles from downtown Fort Myers.

Yes, I would say Fort Myers is worth a couple of nights. First Street has been renovated and is full of bars and restaurants, there is a nice area along the Caloosahatchee River.

Main attraction of Fort Myers apart from its name of City of Palms is the Edison/Ford winter home - http://www.edisonfordwinterestates.org/

vickk
14-10-2014, 17:37
spent 3 nights a fort myers beach this year. stayed at the best western plus resort on the beach. can not recommend the hotel high enough and the beach area is good. didn't see a great deal of fort myers itself so would be unfair to make a generalisation based on what I did see and stories I was told. have you considered marco island. Did you like Naples

Pookie
14-10-2014, 19:13
Depending on the time of year you are planning to travel, Sanibel Island or Captiva spring to mind along with Sarasota.

Katys Grandad
14-10-2014, 19:29
By coincidence, I'm actually posting this from a coffee shop in Fort Myers!

I love Sanibel and Captiva and reckon the total holiday weeks I've spent there add up to over 2 years of my life so you can guess I like it. Fort Myers Beach is bit more touristy but has a great stretch of Gulf Beach and is much better value that Sanibel/Captiva.

I'm not so much a fan of Fort Myers itself though. I find it quite an ugly place on the whole and the crime rate is high even by US standards. The lead story on the local news today is the drive-by shooting of a 5 year old boy at his home. Tragically, he has now died.

vickk
14-10-2014, 19:56
By coincidence, I'm actually posting this from a coffee shop in Fort Myers!

I love Sanibel and Captiva and reckon the total holiday weeks I've spent there add up to over 2 years of my life so you can guess I like it. Fort Myers Beach is bit more touristy but has a great stretch of Gulf Beach and is much better value that Sanibel/Captiva.

I'm not so much a fan of Fort Myers itself though. I find it quite an ugly place on the whole and the crime rate is high even by US standards. The lead story on the local news today is the drive-by shooting of a 5 year old boy at his home. Tragically, he has now died.

We noticed while we were there and the 2 weeks in marco there was always a mention on the nightly news about some crime in fort myers every night.

Markerhouse
14-10-2014, 21:21
Yes, Fort Myers has crime - largely in an area called Le High Acres, a sprawling community some miles inland from downtown Fort Myers the otherside of the 75.

Each to their own, have never been impressed with Sanibel or Captiva !

vickk
15-10-2014, 14:02
Le High Acres. Yep that's the name that kept coming up on the news. As I say I found the beach area a great place for a few days and in a place called the Yukatan Bar I had the best rib eye since I was in mannys

haras
15-10-2014, 14:17
Thanks for all the replies. Vickk,yes we did enjoy Naples,found it a bit quiet though and expensive..

Katys Grandad
15-10-2014, 15:16
...we did enjoy Naples,found it a bit quiet though and expensive..

I suspect that Sanibel/Captiva probably isn't going to be for you then.

vickk
16-10-2014, 19:39
...we did enjoy Naples,found it a bit quiet though and expensive..

I suspect that Sanibel/Captiva probably isn't going to be for you then.

I also suspect Marco wont be suitable if you found naples quiet

Lyn
17-10-2014, 00:18
We love Fort Myers Beach try to spend a few nights there each October/November time.