PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever packed anything you wish you hadn't?

firsttimer
20-02-2004, 14:04
When I pack I usually find that half the things I pack stay in the case, and I end up washing a few favourite clothes and wear them all the time.

Is there anything you have packed that you thought was a good idea, and realised later you had wasted valuable space and weight taking it?

And is there anything that you reeeally wish you had taken but didn't?

chrisj
20-02-2004, 14:38
Like you a lot of our clothes stay in the case and are never warn, we try to take only
the minimum amount of clothes, makes the cases lighter and leaves more room for stuff to
bring home.

kevinprewett
20-02-2004, 18:43
Usually wish I didn't have the return ticket home so I could stay!!!
[msncool][msncool][msncool][msncool]

george
20-02-2004, 18:47
The mother - in -law.
I told her that I could have saved on the air fare if she had dusted down her broom stick.[}:)]

chrizzy100
20-02-2004, 18:47
quote:Originally posted by firsttimer

When I pack I usually find that half the things I pack stay in the case, and I end up washing a few favourite clothes and wear them all the time.

Is there anything you have packed that you thought was a good idea, and realised later you had wasted valuable space and weight taking it?

And is there anything that you reeeally wish you had taken but didn't?

Thank goodness I don't have to worry about packing anymore....I always used to take to many clothes for the kids.......now we just pack one small carry on bag...because each time we visit.....I'll buy clothes to leave at the house.....and I nolonger have to bring things I buy in FL home.....its a dream......and getting on and off a plane takes no time......:D

Amirah
20-02-2004, 20:52
I always take too many pairs of shoes (fills up one suit case) and I end up wearing my good old Speedo flip flops the entire time.

Nigel W
20-02-2004, 21:48
Last time I went I wished I hadnt taken the golf clubs because I played so badly.

bellaepovera
20-02-2004, 22:31
I always pack to many clothes and yes shoes!! I could beat myself as every year i say im not going to and...end up buying all new stuff as the clothes are cheaper there...This year im not going to make that mistake.

esprit
21-02-2004, 03:45
Dont bring anything too dressy as you wont wear it. High heeled shoes ( no no), fleeces in the summer, anyhing which is very trendy in the UK as it wont necesaarily be here. In fact why bring anything at all, bring nearly emoty suitcases and take them home full. Its what most people do.

chrizzy100
21-02-2004, 04:37
quote:Originally posted by esprit

Dont bring anything too dressy as you wont wear it. High heeled shoes ( no no), fleeces in the summer, anyhing which is very trendy in the UK as it wont necesaarily be here. In fact why bring anything at all, bring nearly emoty suitcases and take them home full. Its what most people do.

I think I'm the only woman I've seen wearing high heels in any of the parks......but I can't walk for long in anything else.....

kevinprewett
21-02-2004, 12:26
quote:Originally posted by floridavillas2go

Last time I went I wished I hadnt taken the golf clubs because I played so badly.

I don't even take clubs any more, spend more time on enjoying other things but if i do wish to play i just hire a set[msnwink]

Amirah
22-02-2004, 19:40
Chrizzy you are good! Walking around a theme park in heels, I'm impressed. I didn't even attempt it as I wear heals every day. I know what I'm packing next time I go to Orlando, one of those small folding stools. I don't mind carrying that around.

firsttimer
26-02-2004, 21:44
I've just thought of something you should ALWAYS take....some sticking PLASTERS for BLISTERS (band aid). There is nothing worse than getting one and you still have another half day to walk around. Of course, if you wear trainers this is unlikely, but new sandals might cause a problem.
I also have something called SECOND SKIN which is like sheets of clear jelly which you tape onto blisters and it is brilliant.

blott
26-02-2004, 22:27
Actually, that's a good point firsttimer as any plasters or dressings can cost an absolute fortune in USA. I needed some large 4 inch square ones once and was offered them for $88 for 10. When I looked horrified, they said I could buy them one at a time for $8.88 (which incidentally would have meant returning to purchase a new one every day!).

However, you should find a first aid kit in any villa/vacation home as this is a licensing requirement.

chrizzy100
26-02-2004, 23:15
quote:Originally posted by Amirah

Chrizzy you are good! Walking around a theme park in heels, I'm impressed. I didn't even attempt it as I wear heals every day. I know what I'm packing next time I go to Orlando, one of those small folding stools. I don't mind carrying that around.

I get there around 9 in the morning and don't leave until around 9 at night.......I just can't walk in low heels they kill my back......

Amirah
27-02-2004, 20:10
My back was killed 3 hours into the park just wearing a pair of sneakers. LOL. Next time I'll be sure to rent one of those mobile chairs :D at the door.

Cruella DeVilla
11-06-2004, 01:16
SHOES, I never get that one right, last trip I had way too many, 12 Plus and this time only 6, but only one comfy pair!
CDV[}:)]

chrizzy100
11-06-2004, 01:41
I was just thinking....I always pack my old man....and then find one down there that looks a lot better.....you'd think I'd learn by now to leave him home.....[}:)][}:)][}:)][:o)]

Ray&Sarah
11-06-2004, 01:44
LOL Chrizzy!:D:D

Cruella DeVilla
14-06-2004, 04:22
AW, Thats cruel!
[}:)]

daxon
14-06-2004, 18:42
I always take too much make-up! too much to do to be bothered wearing it after all!!

lynn and ray
05-08-2004, 00:35
I always wish id taken a wig as the florida frizz looms every time and my hair develops enough body to cover the heads of the jackson 5!!:D

Cruella DeVilla
05-08-2004, 13:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by daxon
I always take too much make-up! too much to do to be bothered wearing it after all!!
[/quote]

OH me to, each time I am there I scribble a wee list
1. Don't take as much make up.
2. More comfy shoes, leave designer heels at home.
3. Cardi for night (winter).
etc etc and still get it wrong! You would think I would learn by now. Going to try to get it right on the 19th for our next trip!

agod
05-08-2004, 14:14
More or lees everything, I am a terror, for taking a jacket and tie, just in case we go somewhere nice, more t-shirts than I can wear and shorts by the dozen, then all the toiletries, and before you know it we have a couple of bags, ands theres only the two us, we are going to make the effort this time of no bags at all, just our hand luggage,we hoping to avoid the scrum at baggage re-claim, after all you can pop down to walgreens and get everything you need, for the holiday, plus the stuff left in the owners closet, from previous trips.

Alan

Cruella DeVilla
05-08-2004, 16:53
Alan, Be interested to see if you can carry that one off!! (No pun intended).[}:)]

agod
05-08-2004, 17:01
I will let you know, but I bet we get to check in and they say the hand luggage is to big, and srick in the hold, just my luck:D

linda.s
05-08-2004, 17:42
This year I am determined to be frugal!!! No matter where we holiday, I ALWAYS take enough stuff to clothe an army! I like to cover any contingency, and therefore pack practically my whole wardrobe! Hubby usually throws half a dozen t-shirts, one posh shirt, a pair of trousers, and 4 pairs of shorts and that's it! (Oh, and undies! [msnembarrased]) Based on our last tript to Florida, I wore one posh outfit, and the rest of the time I spent in shorts, 3/4 trousers and t-shirts. We did stay in a hotel last time, and the clothes washing facilities were awful, so it was easier to take lots of clothes, however, this time we will be in a condo, and have a washer dryer, so I will take less! (Or I'll try at least!!!)

orlandobabe
06-08-2004, 03:16
I always take far too many clothes. I have a load there, then I take a load more and buy even more when I arrive.

I love being re-united with my clothes-and then spend most of the holiday wearing my new ones!

Cruella DeVilla
06-08-2004, 12:28
Can a girl really have too mnay clothes or shoes? Naw!
Imelda;)

traceya89
12-08-2004, 02:50
my little girl takes a load of her favourite toys, books, pencils, pens, gameboy and usually a doll or two. I go mad as I tell her just to pack one thing in her holdall and we will buy plenty out there, but then she starts twisting and says she will play with them ......... and guess what they all go untouched and unlooked at throughout the holiday except the gameboy and one game!

Kissyme
12-08-2004, 19:06
Last time we went out I bought all the males in the family (thats everyone except me) shorts with pants inside great idea as less to wash and apparently more comfy I take hardly aything and still take too much I tent to wash whats been worn that day and because it`s dry and waiting to be put away it get worn again!!!
While showing my friend our last lot of photo`s she asked if I had taken all the pictures on the same day [:I]

Ana
12-08-2004, 20:03
I can get everything right except shoes! I pack sensibly and then at the 11th hour cram in loads of shoes that I KNOW I won't wear. I know it's wrong but I can't seem to stop myself!!! I've considered asking hubby to take them out without telling me before we leave.

Kissyme
13-08-2004, 00:37
I`m a bit like that with hair bobbles and things, take a make-up bag full of different colour scrunchies with matching bands just as many clips brushes, mousses, gels and they all stay in the make-up bag until the last day when I get them all out and look at them and them put them back in the case[:I]:D

george
13-08-2004, 02:12
In answer to the topic title:
My ex wifes passport[msnsmile]

CarolAnn
01-09-2004, 20:38
We are getting pretty good now( took a few years of practice though:)If it don't go with trainers, it don't go:DIs rule one, I only need a max of 1 weeks worth of clothes for 2 weeks, I can wash, whether in a villa or hotel/motel. Piles of toiletries, not needed really, and you can likely buy them cheaper states side, just bare essentials really[msnwink] You WILL buy while you are there:D:D

stabard
01-09-2004, 21:23
This year was the first time we ever had a suitcase each - but when they were checked at Gatwick (for security) the staff had a great laugh seeing most of them were packed with chocolate , teabags, magazines (all gifts for friends honest gov[msnwink]) and borders and pctures for the walls of the villa.

When we came home we only had two small cases between the 4 of us[msnsmile2]Next time hand luggage only.[msnwink]

Chloe
02-09-2004, 00:33
Always take too many clothes, but did actually get it almost right in July, except for accessories, and jewellery. I am going to prune those down next time,then I'll have it perfect!! Chloe

lisi
05-09-2004, 21:00
We have managed with just hand baggage and its great not having to wait for luggage when you get there. You can buy everything you need so cheaply when you arrive and hte villas are so labour saving you can wash and iron anything you need. Besides they are so casual in Florida you don't really have much occasion to dress up anyway. I was surprised though at the size of the hand baggage some people took on the plane. We had been a bit conservative we thought but it amazed me the size of some of the cases so perhaps this time I can take a larger one one.

Lisi

heathercobbett
05-09-2004, 21:49
T ake very few clothes!

You only need casual clothes

You can wash clothes in the villa

You can then fill your cases with new clothes to bring home (and pay less than pound on dollar!)

Pack your half full cases with bubble wrap for the outward journey

marv
04-03-2005, 22:59
It was our first time in florida last year and i didn't take many clothes. There was 5 of us we all had hand luggage each and 1 suitcase between all of us. The chap at checkin looked at me abit funny and commented with a cheeky grin "only 1 suitcase and how many of you are there". I just sheepishly replied that we like to travel light. We did bring back another 4 suitcases but i dont expect we are the only ones that do this.
I think the only thing i regret buying was so many books, these didn't help our baggage allowance.

Rocco
01-08-2005, 08:18
Clothes clothes clothes. If you're planning a real spending spree like I used to on visits, take maximum three or four days clothes and empty cases. Cosmetics are cheap for women as are perfumery and clothes are much cheaper than you'd buy in the UK, don't overload yourself if you are planning to take a lot of stuff back.

kokomo
01-08-2005, 10:58
We decided this year only to take hand luggage and buy when we are out there and leave in the lock up for our next trip to Florida.
Weather it will work, is another matter.
[msnwink]