PDA

View Full Version : first thanksgiving in America

LiesaAnna
10-09-2014, 21:06
We will be in florida from 20th november until the 4th december

anyone know of things for us to do.. more at thanksgiving... any special activities going on or places closed?

thanks

Philomena
10-09-2014, 22:23
I think You will find the majority of shops & restaurants closed but most of the shops will reopen anytime from 6:00pm onwards for the Black Friday sales! We had Thanksgiving dinner at Crackerbarrel last year but it is very busy and the queues can be long as it is one of the few places in our area open to eat. Two courses for $10 - and it was very tasty. Think Perkins may also be open

Of course all the theme parks are open as normal.

We have seen neighbours deep fry a whole thanksgiving turkey in a special turkey fryer which they placed on the drive - it was in there some time!

I an sure others will give you some ideas.

florida4sun
10-09-2014, 22:43
Nothing particularly special going on as it is more of family get together time. Some shops and restaurants close but not all. I would recommend booking a nice meal in a good restaurant. Disney hotels are great places to visit at holiday times and soaking up the ambience. The parks can be very busy over the w/e. Or make use of one of the BBQs at Kissimmee Lakefront. People will let you chuck your steaks on a BBQ they are using. It's a communal thing and good fun.

We will be in florida from 20th november until the 4th december

anyone know of things for us to do.. more at thanksgiving... any special activities going on or places closed?

thanks

steph_goodrum
11-09-2014, 05:05
Liesa
Save your energy and money for the Black Friday sales:) Some of the stores start their online sales the night before, you can pick up some amazing bargains but sometimes have to be prepared to look for them.

If you want to have something at home places like Publix can supply a ready cooked meal that you just need to warm up.

Lizb
11-09-2014, 09:28
The Gaylord Palms do a lovely Thanksgiving brunch, they also have the Ice exhibition at this time. The food was very nice and the Ice exhibition was really lovely they have a different theme every year.

You will probably have to make a reservation for the brunch as it was busy when we went last year.

E. Cosgrove
11-09-2014, 16:38
We have been there a few times, once we went out for dinner but the place was quiet and lacked atmosphere, so the last two occasions we gave stayed home and I have cooked[:O]
Black Friday sales are well worth getting to early, there are definitely great bargains to be had.

LiesaAnna
11-09-2014, 20:05
thanks all, xx[bowwave]
Steph, Gaylords is one of the places Steve and i would like to go to! so will book up for brunch and the ice exhibition ...[high5]

spaners
11-09-2014, 21:39
Been twice for thanksgiving, my advice sleep all day then hit the black Friday sales :cool:

Gerry Reed
12-09-2014, 05:34
Been twice for thanksgiving, my advice sleep all day then hit the black Friday sales :cool:

We were there a few years ago and I cooked a Thanksgiving meal - Turkey with all the trimmings and pumpkin pie. We went shopping early the next day.

Sue

Lyn
12-09-2014, 17:04
With regard to the shopping, we are always there for Black Friday but have been put off the sales by horror stories of huge queues for parking etc. Can anyone that has hit the sales let us know where and what the parking was like.

Andrena
12-09-2014, 17:55
Last three years we have found most of the popular restaurants like Outback, Longhorn etc are closed so we find it simpler to stay at home and relax. We are lucky to have locals as neighbours so we have either had them come to us orbwehave gone to them.

Andrena

E. Cosgrove
12-09-2014, 18:46
Never tried the outlets but have been to Florida Mall twice. The first time I was in the overflow car park but last year parked in the main car park on problem.Didn't find the roads unduly busy.
biggest queue both years was in Gap.

LiesaAnna
12-09-2014, 22:07
dont mind the black friday sales.. its not like we can bring loads home :( think we will have a nice meal back at the villa for Thanksgiving ...

bargainqueen
19-09-2014, 15:33
Last time we were there for Thanksgiving only place open was a Sizzler and not good. Found a few bargains in Walmart early in morning, mainly buy dvd's, but in the scramble picked up a Spanish version.
Imagine the papers would have details of what's available in the big stores. Watched a few Extreme Couponer programmes and they open early hours of morning. I love a bargain but even I'd give that one a miss!

Jill
19-09-2014, 21:06
For those wanting to keep up with Black Friday bargains there are websites you can sign up to which will send you details of the offers from the different stores.

DisneyFunVilla
20-09-2014, 16:21
I try to look at ROI. The return on investment for me getting up super early and waiting in very long lines compared to the savings I'd get is just not there. I am one American who has NEVER participated in the whole Black Friday thing. My wife has, though ... That's fine, she can shop and wait in line at 6:00am, I'll sleep in.