PDA

View Full Version : private rental villas

paras
23-05-2002, 20:37
What is a more secure method of renting villas.privately owned or through recognised companies.How are privately owned villas regulated

esprit
23-05-2002, 20:52
It depends what you mean by regulated. We all have to be licensed and comply with US state amd county short term rental legislation and be registered for sales and tourist tax. If you mean regulated as regards the security of any money paid over, you usually have to trust private villa owners. In general, we are a pretty trustworthy bunch, you pay us and you get directions to a very nice villa. If you are anxious about doing this, ask for references off previous renters or some owners can accept payment by credit card which gives you protection.

Some so called recognised companies are just a number of villa owners clubbed together on one web site so you have no more protection than you would have off individual owners. If you go for a genuinely big company ( a management company, villa company or one of the big tour operator's villa division), you will pay more for the villa than you would from an indiviual owner and may well end up with the same villa, but without the personal relationship and wealth of expertience and knowledge that the owner could have given you.

Julie Carty

orlandobabe
23-05-2002, 20:58
I take it you're not an owner Paras-so thank you for your concern
Replying as an owner-all the good owners positively encourage guests to ask us as much as possible about our lovely homes. For most of us it is our favourite subject and you'd have a hard job shutting us up once we are in full flow.

We would much rather you rang us with your concerns rather than just keep quiet-also it gives us the opportunity to build a relationship with you-as we are entrusting our $150,00 plus homes with strangers really-but it is amazing just how quickly we start a friendship with guests-many who come back to us time and time again-that we never meet-but feel like old friends.

A good owner will be up front and honest and with nothing to hide. They should be able to provide you with a brochure, a video or a website. If you book from a well managed site such as this one -you should be able to rent a villa with confidence as all villa are registered on the site(although the site owners are not responsible in any way should anything untoward happen)

Once you've received information about the villa you will receive booking forms and terms and conditions which sets up a contract that you both agree to. Normally the guest signs this and returns a copy.
You will be asked to forward a non refundable deposit and to take out insurance-just in case there is a problem and you can claim your holiday money back-as the villa owner needs to be covered-as he/she will have turned away other bookings in order to honour your booking.
Then about 10 weeks before departure you will be required to pay the balance in full plus a security deposit-returnable when the villa has been checked.

If you have to cancel your holiday after those 10 weeks-you will forfeit some or all of the money (apart from the security deposit) which is where you get your insurers to pay up.
Must go doorbell has rung!

Orlandobabe

orlandobabe
23-05-2002, 21:15
Sorry abou that.
I echo everything Julie says-and just to add if there are problems with the villa when you arrive or something develops while you are there most owners are more than happy that you let the management company know that there is a problem. It helps us to know that the management companies are taking good care of our villas and our guests.

Any owner that doesn't provide you with their man co number or someone who takes care of their villa in case of emergencies is best avoided.

As this is a two way relationship-we hope guests will come and have a lovely time in our homes as well as respecting them. We all lose towels and have the odd breakage here and there-which if it is replaced or the man co informed most of us are happy and realise it goes with the territory.
What we hate is unscrupulous guests tampering with things they shouldn't-such as the pool alarms, air conditioning units, pool heating controls etc-instead of calling out the management company. I'm sure most of us have had this happen as well as unscrupulous guests smashing locks and forcing their way into our owner's cupboards-where we leave our tools and holiday clothes, personal items etc.

Fortunately these occurrences are rare-but they do happen
So as I hope you realise Paras-it really is a two way relationship-where we have equally if not more at stake.

If you have any more queries please do let us know-that's what this wonderful forum is all about.

Orlandobabe

carole7007
23-05-2002, 21:57
Hi Paras

I think Julie and Orlandobabe have covered everything,

Just one thing I would add which I think is another plus for renting from a private owner you know what the villa is like, location, facilities, and you will have seen pictures before you go so you know what you are getting.

Some of the big companies only show you one picture and say your villa will be of a similar standard to the one advertised.
We have done that before we purchased our own villa, it doesn't always work out that way belive me.

Carole & Keith

florida4sun
23-05-2002, 23:56
Hello,
if you worried about the financial issue then book with someone who takes crediot acrds. Ask to pay the final balnce within 30 days of arrival. That way the crda isnurer should cover you.

Martin

quote:
What is a more secure method of renting villas.privately owned or through recognised companies.How are privately owned villas regulated

steph_goodrum
24-05-2002, 01:15
Martin
Unless it is a late booking not many homeowners will take the balance 30 days before arrival, as if the guest then changes their mind or defaults on their payment, that is not long enough to readvertise the booking slot, and the homeowner could have turned away other bookings for the same dates.

Babblin Boo

carole7007
24-05-2002, 01:51
Martin,

I have to agree with Babblin Boo, unless it was a late offer we would not consider waiting for final payment until 30 days before arrival.

I am sure even "recognised" companies" would not allow guests to leave paying until so near to their departure date.

Carole & Keith

orlandobabe
24-05-2002, 18:11
The norm seems to be 10 weeks before with the advice to the guest to take out travel insurance at the time of booking.

Orlandobabe

Lesley S
24-05-2002, 18:24
Hi, I totally agree with Steph, Carole and Orlandobabe regarding payments. I would certainly want paying before the 30 days, as stated. 10 weeks is what we quote.

I think you have got it totally wrong on this one Martin....

Jamie-> and Lesley