PDA

View Full Version : MagicBands & Privacy

DisneyFunVilla
24-01-2014, 14:58
Here's an interesting read about Disney's new MagicBands. There are some privacy concerns, it seems.

http://gigaom.com/2014/01/18/you-dont-want-your-privacy-disney-and-the-meat-space-data-race/

An excerpt: "What does Disney get out of the deal? In short, it tracks everything you do, everything you buy, everything you eat, everything you ride, everywhere you go in the park. If the goal is to keep you in the park longer so you’ll spend more money, it can build AI models on itineraries, show schedules, line length, weather, etc., to figure out what influences stay length and cash expenditure. Perhaps there are a few levers they can pull to get money out of you."

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
24-01-2014, 15:15
It's no different to the supermarket loyalty shames I guess. You get something out of it as a customer, but the company gets a LOT more out of it and can use the data collected to make you spend even more money on future visits, perhaps even without you realising it.

DisneyFunVilla
25-01-2014, 15:11
Someone pointed out that Disney could also use this to determine if you aren't spending any money. With that information, would they make your stay miserable to get you out faster?

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
25-01-2014, 15:27
hehehe - that's a very interesting point :).

Someone pointed out that Disney could also use this to determine if you aren't spending any money. With that information, would they make your stay miserable to get you out faster?

Andrena
01-05-2014, 15:04
At the current prices for food etc. in Disney, I am surprised anybody buys. Our kids were staying at Saratoga Springs and as my husband had a tummy bug we went to buy one of those energy drinks at The Paddock shop, it cost $3.95, Publix sell the same bottle for $1!
Even a small individual packet of potato chips was $2.95! My advice us bring your own food and drinks with you and save a fortune - you will gave more to spend in the shopping malls where the deals are great right now. Bought a couple of tops in Ann Taylor, reduced from $49.95 go $15.

Andrena

Macka
01-05-2014, 15:39
Yes it's true I'm afraid, Disney (and the other Parks) do squeeze you until you squeak like Mickey.

donny
09-05-2014, 01:59
I didnt think they were keen on you bringing in your own food, last time we were there bout 3 yrs ago they didnt let us in with our coolbag that was sitting in the pram, even explained by son was diabetic and we need certain foods for him, still didnt get it in

Lyn
09-05-2014, 08:21
You can't take food into Sea World but I have never had a problem taking food into Disney.

steph_goodrum
09-05-2014, 12:36
They can only track your shopping/food habits if you link a credit card to it and use it tp pay (which I have no intention of doing with mine) you only use it to touch into machines etc. for rides and entry. So that is no different to your existing rfid ticket. it does make it a lot quicker as you dont have to keep getting your ticket out to go on machines. You can still do that, as you dont have to buy the wristbands (they are $12.95 if youo don't have an annual ticket) ours came free with our passes but we had to wait 3 days for delivery (they told us 14 so good service). The other thing Disney gets is that people will buy them as souvenirs and there are a whole range of accessories you can buy for them (vcovers and sliders etc). Good thing is though they are not only single use, when you buy a new ticket you just link it to you My Disney experience account. The account has all the same details as the bands and cards do as to what fastpasses etc you have ordered are.
As you say its no different to any loyalty card.

DisneyFunVilla
09-05-2014, 14:04
Since they all have a chip, I can see someone just sitting at a monitor watching everywhere I go.

donny
10-05-2014, 17:42
Where can you buy the wristbands ? ?

Tony G
10-05-2014, 17:58
They're for sale in Downtown Disney.

donny
10-05-2014, 19:17
ok, are they available in most shops or just 1 in particular ?

thanks

Tony G
10-05-2014, 21:18
I think they're in most places, but I saw them in the fit2run store on West Side.

...Not that I went in, you understand, I just noticed racks of them in all the range of colours... I have no business being in a store that sells fitness equipment!

steph_goodrum
11-05-2014, 11:28
ok, are they available in most shops or just 1 in particular ?

thanks

And in all the parks. They will link it to your ticket for you or you can do it yourself I beleive. We bought an annual pass so they ordered the bands for us as part of the deal and we had to have them sent to us (took about 3 days ) They have even personlised them for us:)
In the shops they are $12.95 each but do save you the hassle of keep getting tickets out for rides.

steph_goodrum
11-05-2014, 18:31
Regarding the info held , I did actually write to Disney a few weeks ago to ask them if it would be possible for them to integrate a system whereby they could also be used in case of lost children/vulnerable people etc. It could be offered as an opt in system for people so anyone worried about security just needn't opt in. It would only need to have a contact phone number able to be read by a reader and it could save hours of distress to people. It is surprising how many children will either get so upset they won't communicate with others or only know their parents name as mummy or daddy.
Going back many years I worked at Butlins one summer in the nursery and lost children were brought there and even though it was a much smaller area then the parks if the children weren't registered and wearing one of the hospital type id bracelets they were issued,it often took several hours before they were reunited.
they have written back and said they have passed it onto the relevant dept.

DisneyFunVilla
12-05-2014, 13:40
Regarding the info held , I did actually write to Disney a few weeks ago to ask them if it would be possible for them to integrate a system whereby they could also be used in case of lost children/vulnerable people etc. It could be offered as an opt in system for people so anyone worried about security just needn't opt in. It would only need to have a contact phone number able to be read by a reader and it could save hours of distress to people. It is surprising how many children will either get so upset they won't communicate with others or only know their parents name as mummy or daddy.
Going back many years I worked at Butlins one summer in the nursery and lost children were brought there and even though it was a much smaller area then the parks if the children weren't registered and wearing one of the hospital type id bracelets they were issued,it often took several hours before they were reunited.
they have written back and said they have passed it onto the relevant dept.

Great idea, Steph! What a great use of that technology.

steph_goodrum
12-05-2014, 22:00
Great idea, Steph! What a great use of that technology.

And I had an even brighter idea last night, Mike, (I can be really dangerous if I start to think) with a fine permanent marker people can just write the phone number on the outside of the band where it can be seen and it would work just as well. Should I wait for Disney to come back to me with an offer for coming up with idea or should I see if they think of this option as well? I shall certainly recommend it to any of my Guests who have children (also gives an easy way to get the bands back if the children should take them off unnoticed, if someone phones up you can arrange to pick it up.

Andrena
13-05-2014, 01:36
My son stayed in Disney and they were given bands as part of their Disney Vacation Club stay which had their mobile phone numbers pon the children's bands.

Andrena

steph_goodrum
13-05-2014, 01:58
My son stayed in Disney and they were given bands as part of their Disney Vacation Club stay which had their mobile phone numbers pon the children's bands.

Andrena

They must have implemented it the moment I suggested it Andrena.:) They didnt tell me it was already available but that they would look into it. Can I be nosey and ask when they stayed/got them? Also is the phone number inside (our names are printed on the inside) that would work for older children who could ask someone to call but toddlers wouldnt necessarily know to say (hopefully if they were found by staff then they could be told to check the inside of the band but it works better if it is easy to spotimo.
They come as part of the package if you are staying anywhere onsite , I believe, and with Anual passholders and Vacation club. You have to buy them if you have a regular ticket. Good thing though is they aren't single use, when you buy any more tickets you just link them to your same account.

Gerry Reed
13-05-2014, 05:54
And I had an even brighter idea last night, Mike, (I can be really dangerous if I start to think) with a fine permanent marker people can just write the phone number on the outside of the band where it can be seen and it would work just as well. Should I wait for Disney to come back to me with an offer for coming up with idea or should I see if they think of this option as well? I shall certainly recommend it to any of my Guests who have children (also gives an easy way to get the bands back if the children should take them off unnoticed, if someone phones up you can arrange to pick it up.

We have done this for years. You can buy the plain bands on ebay.

DisneyFunVilla
10-06-2014, 12:27
More MagicBand news -

"Now, Guests who purchase and link Memory Maker, and also have a linked MagicBand, will have their attraction photos automatically associated to their My Disney Experience account without having to stop at the photo counter to claim their photos.

Participating attractions include:

Magic Kingdom Park®: Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin®, Space Mountain® and Splash Mountain®

Epcot®: Test Track® Presented by Chevrolet®

Disney’s Hollywood Studios®: Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster® Starring Aerosmith and The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™

Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park®: DINOSAUR and Expedition Everest – Legend of the Forbidden Mountain®"