PDA

View Full Version : any permanent residents with children out there?

Nicjmc
18-02-2004, 10:05
Hi,My name is Nicola and I`m originally from sunny Luton[msneek]but have been living in the states for last 7 years,3 years in california and 4 in north carolina.Am hoping to move to orlando area soon(have just sold my house here).Even though have permanent residency am looking to buy in a short term rental zone incase we have to return to uk for any reason.Would therefore appreciate info on any good str communities that have a good amount of permanent residents with children and that also have good schools and somewhere nice to walk the dog[msneek]Any help appreciated[msnsmile2]

jeffc
18-02-2004, 16:57
have a look at weston hills or greater groves or orange tree estates on the us27 they have a good mix of permanent and vacation people..

they also can go to clermont schools ie east ridge high and windy hill which from experience are very good schools in lake county

if you need more detailed info on the schools pm me.

esprit
18-02-2004, 20:09
Celebration has one of the best schools in the area. Not a short term rental area but you can sell the homes very easily and make a decent profit on them which isnt neceaaarily the case with STR estates. Or there is a decent long term rental market here. I dont think any of the STR estates has sufficient permanent residents to give you and your kids a choice in your friends. Many long term residents in Florida dare I say tend to be retirees. The estate I own on, Esprit, has about 30% full time residents but many are "of an age", I dont know of one teenager on the estate. That is why I moved to a place which is predominanly American as I knew my son would go mad with boredom living on an STR estate. I will also say that the lifestyle of permanent residents and holidaymakers doesnt match to a large degree. To have neighbours who are constantly coming and going, in the pool at 7 am etc may pall after a while.

chrizzy100
18-02-2004, 20:39
quote:Originally posted by esprit

Celebration has one of the best schools in the area. Not a short term rental area but you can sell the homes very easily and make a decent profit on them which isnt neceaaarily the case with STR estates. Or there is a decent long term rental market here. I dont think any of the STR estates has sufficient permanent residents to give you and your kids a choice in your friends. Many long term residents in Florida dare I say tend to be retirees. The estate I own on, Esprit, has about 30% full time residents but many are "of an age", I dont know of one teenager on the estate. That is why I moved to a place which is predominanly American as I knew my son would go mad with boredom living on an STR estate. I will also say that the lifestyle of permanent residents and holidaymakers doesnt match to a large degree. To have neighbours who are constantly coming and going, in the pool at 7 am etc may pall after a while.

There are a few kids of different ages on Tuscan Ridge which is STR....a lot of the people there so far are young working couples....but I've been told the schools are not that good..but I don't know that for sure.....the thing with a STR area....is that if locals move on and sell to renters....then at any time you could end up with more rental homes than resident.....I'm sure the few homes for sale now on the Ridge will be taken by people wanting to rent......where now those houses are owned by locals....

Nicjmc
18-02-2004, 20:41
Have heard very good things about celebration but i think it may be out of our price range,our max is $250,unless anyone knows any different[:I]

esprit
18-02-2004, 21:43
You can get a nice condo or townhome for that or there is the odd small bungalow, 2/3 bed. Or you can rent for a while to get inside the catchment area. Tuscan Ridge is in the catchment for Haines 15 miles away and I made a conscious decision to buy on Celebration rather than send my son to school there ( I also own a home in Polk).

chrizzy100
18-02-2004, 21:49
quote:Originally posted by esprit

You can get a nice condo or townhome for that or there is the odd small bungalow, 2/3 bed. Tuscan Rodge is in the catchment for Haines 15 miles away and i made a comscious decision to buy on Celebration rather than send my son to school there ( I also own a home in Polk).

That was the school.....Haines city.....my son was going from a tech school here to a tech school there....so I was not that worried about High schools etc in the area....but my neigbour said her sisters boy would not even get out the car and enter the school grounds he went back home and is finishing school there.......

pt cruiser
13-05-2004, 16:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nicjmc
Hi,My name is Nicola and I`m originally from sunny Luton[msneek]but have been living in the states for last 7 years,3 years in california and 4 in north carolina.Am hoping to move to orlando area soon(have just sold my house here).Even though have permanent residency am looking to buy in a short term rental zone incase we have to return to uk for any reason.Would therefore appreciate info on any good str communities that have a good amount of permanent residents with children and that also have good schools and somewhere nice to walk the dog[msneek]Any help appreciated[msnsmile2]
[/quote]
Nicola,don't fancy doing a swop do you? we live in Luton[msncry]
NO???? i didn't think so!!!!!!!
Good luck with the move,and Celedration is an lovely, one of the best places we have been in florida.
Teresa

fllion
13-05-2004, 17:11
I live on Weston Hills ,,it as about 15% STR .Close to Clermont
for windy hill & four corners School,,we have 2 swimming pools tennis ct basketball ct ,loads of Kids of mixed age groups, a nice place to live .theres homes for sale in your range price range .
Orange Tree in mainly STR ,Greater is looking rather old now
Same as Polo Park

Drop me a PM if you need more

jeffc
13-05-2004, 21:41
the estates on the edge of lake county near polk ie weston hills etc look like they will not be zoned for windy hill or east ridge high for next year but they will be for south lake high etc so bear that in mind if you want the kids to go to them schools..
we have moved from our original home on orange tree for that reason...
we are now living on hills of clermont which is only residental and in my opinion much better for the kids due to having friends on the same estate..

chrizzy100
13-05-2004, 22:40
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jeffc
the estates on the edge of lake county near polk ie weston hills etc look like they will not be zoned for windy hill or east ridge high for next year but they will be for south lake high etc so bear that in mind if you want the kids to go to them schools..
we have moved from our original home on orange tree for that reason...
we are now living on hills of clermont which is only residental and in my opinion much better for the kids due to having friends on the same estate..

[/quote]

I think kids get by OK without having their friends or other kids nearby......we had no kids near us.....everyones retired....but my son soon fell into the American way of going home with school friends on their bus.....and then getting picked up by us later......its seems normal for American kids to have to travel to meet up with friends...and we'd get to meet the parents....and that way we made new friends......I'd not not buy a house I loved because of lack of kids on the estate.....but I would if the schools were bad......

jeffc
13-05-2004, 23:37
we came over to florida from england we knew the schools we wanted and we knew the zones for the schools the problem was the estates we liked as rental areas were just on the borders of the school zones and then we have found over the last 5 months that the boys really had no friends that they could visit or have visit them due to the fact that all there new friends lived 15miles at least from where they lived.. on the estate we lived on we were the only family to send the kids to the schools my boys went to so the contact for new friends was nil.. on the estate there were no residents with kids the same age apart from one and the least said about him the better....
so the point i was making is for brits to come out and live and have a normal lifestyle with there family you have to have residents around you... we made lots of friends for a few weeks then they would fly back to wherever...
hope that makes sense....

esprit
14-05-2004, 01:40
It does to me, Jeff, and we picked to live on Celebration for the same reason. What is right on holiday isnt right when you live here, you need your neighbours and more especially your kids need your neighbours kids, Holiday makers have a totally different lifestyle and no real point in
making friends for a couple of weeks and then they are gone,. Look for an estate that is 50% residents or more.

chrizzy100
14-05-2004, 02:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
It does to me, Jeff, and we picked to live on Celebration for the same reason. What is right on holiday isnt right when you live here, you need your neighbours and more especially your kids need your neighbours kids, Holiday makers have a totally different lifestyle and no real point in
making friends for a couple of weeks and then they are gone,. Look for an estate that is 50% residents or more.
[/quote]

In England my son had most of his friends in our street.....but here his friends are all over the Cape.....It was a worry to me at first having no kids nearby......but like most things..parents worry more then the kids do......for the first 2 years he only had the grandchildren of the neighbours to play with in our street......they would come and go all over the summer.....we never gave it a thought when we first moved over....we just needed a home quick and this one came up.....the biggest problem with STR neighbourhoods that are nearly all rental....is the quiet....no-one around.....its a bit like that here...when everyone goes to FL for the winter......