PDA

View Full Version : All the help I can get

stephanie marks
17-02-2004, 20:11
Hi
I have just found this site by accident but it looks like I may have found a gem. I am married with two late teens daughters and run my own accountancy business, my husband Barry works in the software industry. We have just started to consider the idea of buying a house in Florida which of course the girls think is a 'great idea lets do it tomorrow'. Obviously being slightly more cautious I've been trying to gather data and so far what I've read on this site has rather put me off. Is this going to be a big headeache? Could someone give me a run down on the sort of ongoing costs of owning a say 4 bed 2 bath house with pool? What sort of help do you have to hire? Is it totally hopeless to think of this as any sort of investment? We have been to Orlando three times on holiday in the last 7 years and loved it, it is the sort of place I could go to once a year but not if it means that is the only thing I can afford in that year.
I really appreciate any feed back you can give and think this forum is a brilliant idea.
Thanks
Stephanie[?]

blott
17-02-2004, 20:33
Hi Stephanie

Welcome to the forum!

Have you read through the threads in this section of the forum? http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=45 It answers most of the questions you've asked in your post.

As you may have gathered, it's not a short term investment but more of a long term one. You've got to love Florida a lot and have a commitment to try to make it work, which includes lots of spare time and sometimes spare money!

To be honest, if you can only go once a year then you might be better off financially renting a home each time you want to visit and letting someone else have any home owning hassle!

I don't know what your financial circumstances are like as to whether you could afford to go anywhere else for your holidays but I think you'll find that most Florida home owners would agree that they don't actually have holidays as such after they're purchased a home there because there's usually something to get fixed, improve, redecorate, whatever...

esprit
17-02-2004, 21:08
It is a big ongoing commitement and a labour of love and will take your life over totally if you do it properly. Those who dont often panic, sell up and get out quite quickly. Read all the threads on here and the snswers are all there for you. You will need to hoire someone to do pool, lawn pestcontrol, cleaning and maintenance but hiring help isnt a problem as there are 700 plus people ( usually couples) registered for villa propety management here, a great proportion of them British.

steph_goodrum
17-02-2004, 21:33
The other option if you are really looking for a holiday base is a timeshare, there are some very good resorts and most of them can be deeded to your children so you only have the annual maintenance fees and can exchange to other places in the world. As with everything it's a case of looking at what suits your circumstances, finances and deciding from there.

benfilo
18-02-2004, 03:33
Hi Stephanie
Not having closed on my house yet ,I am only guessing but I imagine if you visit florida once a year and stayed as a guest in someone elses villa , you would tend to spend more.
If you owned your own home you might not feel the need to "do all the parks". Or you could take advantage of cheap off peak flights when the home is empty. Just a thought.
good luck whatever you decide

Ray&Sarah
18-02-2004, 04:08
Hi Stephanie,
We completed on our house at Westbury last June, it is a four bed/3 bathroom with private pool, your welcome to use the link below to see it. We have been twice since then, and are planning to go later this year, although as Blott indicate this will be to do general maintenance. One important thing to remember is if you go ahead, and you want to attempt to get anywhere near to cover your outgoings you will need to commit at least 1 -2 hours a day answering enquiries, and generally marketing the property. And as Esprit states it is a labour of love, but the plus side is that home in the sun in beautiful Florida. Let us know what you decide, and I am sure any questions you have the great wealth of knowledge on this site will be only too willing to help.
And your right you have found a great gem with this site, we only wish we had found it earlier.
Welcome.

fiona
18-02-2004, 05:17
I would just like to say on behalf of us owners that the idea that we stay in our villas and it costs us less than staying at someone elses sounds all well and good in theory. However, in practice, alot of us have children - children of school age, so that means we too can only travel at peak season times. We also spend most of the holiday in that fun shop known to I think I can safely say ALL the children of owners on this forum as "oh no not there" - the home depot. It is there that one can safely while away several hours, spends hundreds of dollars and appear to have very little to show for it! And only a man can spend soooooo much time looking for a piece of pipe, bolts or something else equally boring!

We also spend our time replacing linen and towels that have gone walkies or have now passed their sell by date, adding a few improvements, buying plants for the garden, planting them, decorating. In between this there are enquiries to be answered and if the children are really lucky, they might get the occasional visit to a theme park!

Our villa in Florida gets more attention and money spent on it than the one we live in most of the time!!

But if you think you can only visit once a year, believe me this is not enough, and I would think long and hard about buying.

Carla
18-02-2004, 10:29
I second all of Fiona's comments and once a year is definitely not enough. You really need to visit more often than that, unless you are prepared to contstantly be paying out for other people to do the little (and not so little) jobs that you could do yourself.

A few examples of regular "jobs":

a) You would be amazed at how much paint touching up, the walls need after only a few guests and a few suitcases - particularly on stairs!!

b) Bleaching the deck furniture cushions and umbrellas to remove any black mould is necessary at least twice a year, and takes me and my husband all morning and would cost a lot if someone else had to do it.

c) Power washing all concrete areas plus the decking and pool screening is required twice a year, at least, to remove the black mould. It's time consuming and therefore costly, but is something that owners can do for themselves.

d) Moving things to clean behind and under them, like the fridge, cooker and large items of furniture etc.

These are just a few examples of regular "top-up" maintenance that is required and that is without any repairs and/or replacements that might need doing. You could easily pay someone to do everything, but it will soon mount up.

I am going out for a week on 28 Feb with my husband (leaving our daughter behind because of school) as we are overseeing the installation of our new spa. Ostensibly that is all we should be doing, however, we first have to move a large palm bush (which is currently sitting where the spa will be), then remove the earth and decoration stones in the planter area, re-plant the palm bush somewhere else and then fill the planter hole with enough concrete (which we have to go and buy first) to level the area. Doesn't sound much but it could well take up best part of either our first morning or afternoon. If I got someone in to do it for me, then I'd probably end up paying around $100 minimum including materials. These smaller amounts soon add up to a very large amount.

Once the spa is in place you'd think that we would then have a holiday - but we will actually go through our home with a fine tooth-comb and do any job that needs doing or we think may need doing in the next few months (we were also in our home last September and early December - so not long between visits!). Like Fiona, we will be regulars in Home Depot!!! You cannot afford to "leave" a job like you might do in your own permanent home. What you will put up with, guests won't, and they shouldn't be expected to either.

If anyone who only visits Florida once a year is intending buying a home, then they should really rethink. Unless you are prepared to pay for every job, as and when it needs doing, and unless you have an excellent MC that will spot that the jobs need doing and then actually get someone to do them, then your home will look very sad and tired by the time you visit again a year later and you'll be getting complaints from guests.

Save your money and then spend some of it on renting the best home for you, and enjoy your vacation!!
:D:D:D

chrizzy100
18-02-2004, 19:33
quote:Originally posted by fiona

I would just like to say on behalf of us owners that the idea that we stay in our villas and it costs us less than staying at someone elses sounds all well and good in theory. However, in practice, alot of us have children - children of school age, so that means we too can only travel at peak season times. We also spend most of the holiday in that fun shop known to I think I can safely say ALL the children of owners on this forum as "oh no not there" - the home depot. It is there that one can safely while away several hours, spends hundreds of dollars and appear to have very little to show for it! And only a man can spend soooooo much time looking for a piece of pipe, bolts or something else equally boring!

We also spend our time replacing linen and towels that have gone walkies or have now passed their sell by date, adding a few improvements, buying plants for the garden, planting them, decorating. In between this there are enquiries to be answered and if the children are really lucky, they might get the occasional visit to a theme park!

Our villa in Florida gets more attention and money spent on it than the one we live in most of the time!!

But if you think you can only visit once a year, believe me this is not enough, and I would think long and hard about buying.

Ummmmmmmm......(."And only a man can spend soooooo much time looking for a piece of pipe, bolts or something else equally boring!")

I love home depot......I'd set up camp there if I could....lol![msnsmile2][msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

chrisj
18-02-2004, 20:06
bit sexist there Chrizzy :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

huckleberry house
18-02-2004, 20:22
Hey Carla

I know a great spot where you could replant your palm tree,only a couple of doors away,anything to help :D:D:D

Lesley

chrizzy100
18-02-2004, 20:26
quote:Originally posted by chrisj

bit sexist there Chrizzy :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I was quoting fiona.....I'm a great DIY fan.....
:D:D

SG
18-02-2004, 20:37
So am I Chrizzy, I really enjoyed walking around Home Depot, my husband was bored stiff!!!

chrisj
18-02-2004, 20:38
:D:D:D thats ok then :)

Ive got a leaky tap if your interested

chrizzy100
18-02-2004, 22:02
quote:Originally posted by SG

So am I Chrizzy, I really enjoyed walking around Home Depot, my husband was bored stiff!!!

It the same with my husband.....I think thats cus he knows more works heading his way......hehehehehe..!

chrizzy100
18-02-2004, 22:03

Have you not seen a doctor yet..........[:o)][:o)][}:)]

SG
19-02-2004, 00:09

I'm sure Chrizzy and I could offer a plumbing service at a price :):):)

chrizzy100
19-02-2004, 00:13
quote:Originally posted by SG

I'm sure Chrizzy and I could offer a plumbing service at a price :):):)

I bet he don't get many offers like that one.......LOL!
[:o)][:o)]

chrisj
19-02-2004, 00:38
:D if i do im not going to tell in here

chrizzy100
19-02-2004, 01:00

:D if i do im not going to tell in here

Ohhhh.....as if we'd tell other people about your plumbing troubles.....:D:D

chrisj
19-02-2004, 01:14
:D:D your a woman they always tell