PDA

View Full Version : Green Card

Julie
16-02-2004, 21:37
Hi

Can anybody help. I am only interested in moving to Florida if I can get a green card.
Would like to buy a business but understand this does not entitle you to a green card.

My husband does own a company over here which I beleive he could open up a sister co. over there . Has anybody out there been through this and if so how long is it before you get your green card. Also what is the full criteria.

we also have children 14 & 12 could not live with the uncertainty of never knowing if you could stay there or not.

Is there a gov. site with a clear criteria of what is needed for this type of visa?

Regards

chrizzy100
16-02-2004, 22:57
quote:Originally posted by Julie

Hi

Can anybody help. I am only interested in moving to Florida if I can get a green card.
Would like to buy a business but understand this does not entitle you to a green card.

My husband does own a company over here which I beleive he could open up a sister co. over there . Has anybody out there been through this and if so how long is it before you get your green card. Also what is the full criteria.

we also have children 14 & 12 could not live with the uncertainty of never knowing if you could stay there or not.

Is there a gov. site with a clear criteria of what is needed for this type of visa?

Regards

There is a lot to think about when you move teenagers over here.....kids timeout at 21..they can no-longer stay on the visa they came over with......it can take 7-10 years to get a greencard.....5 if you're lucky.....it can be done in 3 if you have a large company lawyer behind you....which we were lucky to have.....

Thats after you've done all the paper work in England.......then moved over got your business set up..proved to Uncle Sam that you are going to be able to make a go of it....then you start on the Greencard road.....if you're lucky enough to get a visa that leads to a greencard that is....so if you start tomorrow...you could be looking at....8 years......or more till you get a greencard.....

If you can do it....its a great life for young kids.....but a lot of hard work for you.....and you'll need a never ending pot of money.....
I should go into it with your eyes wide open........but remember you can't leave it to long......every day your oldest get older...and nearer timing out before you get a Greencard.....

Afew people here have taken the business route to the USA.....after they finish work I'm sure they'll be here to give you some idea about how they went about it.....Good Luck.......
:D

blott
16-02-2004, 23:43
The official website info is here for L1 visas (the type that you're after to open a subsidiary company in the USA) http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/visa/niv/work2.htm and note that, if granted, it's for an initial period of one year only.

esprit
17-02-2004, 02:28
It is an L1 as Blott says.You need a substanitail company in the UK with a good turnover and a number of employees who can keep it trading until you get the green card. Not therefore for small or one man businesses. Initial visa, one year, then renewed for two years usually. Green card can be applied for at first renewal, but it can take upwards of two years to come through as they are running that far behind. Up until you get a green card, your kids can be sent home at 18 unless they go on to further education, otherwise 21.
I would agree totally about only coming here if you can get a green card. As a visa holder, you are a non resident alien and have no real rights. My son has to pay international students rates at college in spite of the fact we live here, it is $200 per credit hour. We have to pay medicare and social security but cannot claim for anything, The business visa I am on does not lead to green card except by very convulated routes and I am reliant on my son getting one and sponsorring me should he ever become a citizen. It will take 9 years at least.