PDA

View Full Version : Sanford Airport layout / procedures?

firsttimer
16-02-2004, 17:19
Is the arrival and car pick up procedure at Sanford airport fairly simple, or is there anything that it is worth knowing about in advance?
(flying with Mytravel (airtours), car with Dollar, villa with another company)

kevinprewett
16-02-2004, 18:12
quote:Originally posted by firsttimer

Is the arrival and car pick up procedure at Sanford airport fairly simple, or is there anything that it is worth knowing about in advance?

Sandford is really well organised & efficient,Dollar rental cars on-airport & their vehicle return is just a short walk to check-in[msnwink]

kevinprewett
16-02-2004, 18:21

Sorry firstimer I forgot to mention, why don't you go to their website, they have a virtual airport tour which is worth looking at!
http://www.orlandosanfordairport.com/[msncool]

esprit
16-02-2004, 18:22
Easy peasy, The easiest of all airports. Walk out of the airport and turn left for Dollar ( only drivers go, leave the rest wuth the cases on a bench outside or looking at the fake designer sunglasses stall as they dont like lots of you inside). Drive out of the airport then straight on until you reach a sign for the Greeneway ( 417)< a left turn. Dont attmept to take 1-4 as a first timer. Take some change ( or at least dollar notes) for the tolls. Long drive to the attractions but quiet and easy.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
16-02-2004, 19:23
It's a real no fuss kind of airport. We were off the plane and at the car hire desk almost as quick as if we had not had to get our luggage / go through immigration. Dead easy and a welcome change from the OTT security procedures at MCO.

firsttimer
16-02-2004, 19:34
On our return journey, how long do you think it will be to hand the car in before check in?

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
16-02-2004, 19:44
From car hire drop off to checkin desk is no more than a 5 minute walk - probably a lot less than this [msnsmile].

firsttimer
17-02-2004, 14:27
But if there is a plane load of people trying to return cars, how early should we plan to arrive? Presumably they have to check each car over.

Nostromo
17-02-2004, 14:33

But if there is a plane load of people trying to return cars, how early should we plan to arrive? Presumably they have to check each car over.

There is a link that gives the info in detail. I may not be allowed to give it here, but it you type the keywords in Google, you'll get it. If it goes to the US site, click on the tiny Union Jack in the left margin.

Carla
17-02-2004, 14:52
Sanford doesn't have the air traffic that other Florida airports get, firsttimer, so you really don't need to worry or allow extra time to return the car. Drop your party off at the departure area where they can join the checkin queue and then you can return the car on your own, if time is getting short.

One tip. On your return journey, unless you like really awful fast food that is luke warm, badly cooked and looks like it is growing it's own beard, then don't eat at Sanford airport. Even the salad that I had was warm, limp and had curled edges on the lettuce!! Find a place to eat lunch before you get to the airport and hand in your car.
:D:D:D

kevinprewett
17-02-2004, 14:54

Still no problem,they're well organised and will get you on your way pretty quickly, then just a short walk to terminal building - as I said before if you haven't already done so check out all the info/details on Sandfords web-site[msncool]

bridget
20-04-2004, 20:09
OTT security proceedures? Well, I'm all for it to be honest.

Ana
20-04-2004, 20:26
I agree that the security procedures are great, and not at all OTT when getting ON a plane - but what is the point of confiscating your nail scissors when you are getting OFF and coming into Orlando??

Rhosyn
25-04-2004, 13:59
Have flown into Sanford twice and MCO once, Sanford always for me.:):)

firsttimer
30-04-2004, 14:33
Luggage trolleys.
When we arrived the luggage trolleys were free.
When we returned the car (this was very easy and quick....you drive in, start unloading the car and someone comes to the car, checks your mileage etc, takes the keys and gives you your form and that's it) the trolleys cost $5 each.
Now, I suspect that if we had gone round the corner (to the left) we would have come to the dollar rental place where we could have got an ababdoned trolley for free.
Also, it is not far to the check in hall, so if you haven't much luggage you could probably carry it....but obviously it is easier with trolleys.

zerotone
30-04-2004, 18:50
First timer

When we returned just after easter there was a line of free trolleys just where we dropped the car off, have never seen any that needed paying for. Time between arriving at airport and checking in less than 5 mins :)

Jane

Robert5988
30-04-2004, 19:35
I have only flown into Sanford once but I have picked up and delivered friends and family there many times. As said earlier it is a small airfield and easy to find rental cars and then drive out on the only road in and out. Handing car back in is again very easy and only takes minutes.

The downside is that lots of the flights are from Europe and arrive fairly close together in the afternoon and leave again a couple of hours later. Thus the terminals can get very crowded over this period and queues both incoming and outgoing can be extremely lengthy.

Cruella DeVilla
27-05-2004, 05:08
I think it depends on your experience. I hate Sandford and fly into MCO. I do agree it is more security but in this climate. Sandord on the ocassions we have used it has been has been crowded and long long queues for picking up rental cars. Oh and lots of tired, noisey kids!!!!!
MCO for me everytime or a few days in Miami and a drive up!
CDV[|)]

trevlad
27-05-2004, 14:11
sorry sanford for me,
got off the plane, cases were the first off, straight thru passport/immigration,first picking up the car
shades on top down getting burnt - 10 minutes
(took longer finding out the hammers had got to cardiff!)

return - drove in , opened boot. left keys in ignition . cases on free trolley. no queues,checked in - 5 minutes

one word-amazing
trevlad