PDA

View Full Version : Westridge Community

Hipplec
16-02-2004, 13:56
We have just booked a two week holiday for Christmas 2004. We are staying at a villa in Westridge and wondered if anyone had any information on this community, good places to eat nearby and any other information would be useful.

blott
16-02-2004, 15:48
Hi Hipplec

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure someone will come along with the info you need but, in the meantime, check out this page for info http://www.orlandovillas.com/community_display.asp?community=50

lgordon6041
16-02-2004, 17:14
Hi Hipplec,

I am a Westridge owner. Westridge is located on the US27 and is about 5 minutes from the junction with the US192. The nearest supermarket is Publix and is about 5mins at most down the US27. There are also a few smaller stores in the 'complex' like a liquor store, a Pizza shop and a furniture store.

With regards to eating, we just used to travel the short distance to the 192 and eat at one of the hundreds of places available there. Whatever tastes you have, there is a restaurant that will cater for them. I can thoroughly recommend the Golden Corral 'All you can eat' buffet for $9.99 and the Longhorn Steak Hose is just something else. Near the junction with the 192 is a 'Subway'. I used it quite a lot when I was over for the times that I just couldnt be bothered cooking!

I hope I have answered your question. If you need any more info, please let me know

regards

Hipplec
17-02-2004, 22:51
Thanks for the information, we will certainly try those places you recommend.

Do you think it is worth having the pool heated in December? we think it is quite expensive especially as we will be out most of the time. Is there a clubhouse in Westridge?

Where would you recommend for Christmas Day, our childrens ages are 17, 13 & 14 (sorry so many questions!!!)

Ray&Sarah
18-02-2004, 00:24
We would not recommend WDW on Christmas day, we did the whole Disney Christmas thing eight years ago, and took our two boys to Magic Kingdom on Christmas Day, it completely destroyed the Magic. They allowed about ten cars into the lot after us, and once you got through the gates it was heaving. To relieve the crowd they opened the back doors to Main Street, so although we all know it is only a facade, we saw the backs of all the properties. Why they allowed so many in I do not know, you could not move. So avoid Disney Parks on Christmas Day, we would suggest doing Blizzard Beach, which is where we ended up Christmas day, at least the kids could say they played in the 'snow'.

Newhomebuyer
18-02-2004, 01:27
I would not go into the Disney Parks but rather make a PS arrangement at one of the Resorts which look fabulous at Christmas time. Wilderness Lodge would be a great place.

blott
18-02-2004, 02:33
I would suggest that it will be too cold to use the pool in December without heating unless your family is really hardy! The average temperature then will be 73/52F and the water temperature is usually about 10F below the air temperature, which makes the water 63/42F or thereabouts, brrrr!

Don't forget that you can use the pool before you go out in the mornings, in the evenings when you return from the parks or even have a 'rest' during the day in the pool and then go back to the parks in the evening (remember to get your hands stamped before you leave!).

Pool heating isn't expensive when you take into account the amount of water that has to be heated up - how much does it cost to heat your hot water in the tank at home (and that's indoors with a thick jacket on it!)?

mr flibble
26-02-2004, 14:55
Hi Lee,
Is the Publix you mention on the corner of Sand Mine road[?]
I haven`t been to my property for 18mths[msnsad]
They were going to build a publix and a few shops at that junction
and I understand they are now all built:)
Any details gratefully received:D
Ian

steph_goodrum
26-02-2004, 15:22
If lee is talking about going down the road he is probably talking about Championsgate, Ian but the one at Sand Mie road just up the 27 is open now and a few other smaller shops. Later in the year there is a new Walmart opening just north of the junction with the 192 and 27 so that will be great , also heard there will be a Lowes but not seen that confirmed yet.

mr flibble
26-02-2004, 16:28
Thanks Steph for the info:)
Counting down until Oct 04 for my next visit[msncry]
What is Lowes[?]I`m not familiar with the name
Ian[8D]

steph_goodrum
26-02-2004, 17:47
Hi Ian
Lowes is our favourite diy store, we were hoping we'd get either a Lowes or Home Depot as that will save a lot of time when we are over there. It probably won't be open for our sept trip but you never know.
You're certainly going to notice lots of changes if you've not been there for 18 months.

lgordon6041
26-02-2004, 22:59
Hi,

Lee was indeed talking about Sandmine Road thanks Steph;)

About a 3 or 4 min drive to get there also, very convenient

chrizzy100
26-02-2004, 23:20
quote:Originally posted by Hipplec

Thanks for the information, we will certainly try those places you recommend.

Do you think it is worth having the pool heated in December? we think it is quite expensive especially as we will be out most of the time. Is there a clubhouse in Westridge?

Where would you recommend for Christmas Day, our childrens ages are 17, 13 & 14 (sorry so many questions!!!)

We spent Christmas day in Universal ....it was very quiet......no waiting for any rides.....a few days later in was really busy.....

steph_goodrum
27-02-2004, 00:29
We did the same Chrizzy , we ate at the Contemporary Hotel but as we had annual passes went to Universal for the afternoon and it was fairly quiet but with just enough Crhistmas atmosphere to remind us it was Christmas.

ptcruisermom
27-02-2004, 17:31
Have the pool heated it is well worth the money. When we first rented at Christmas 1997 we had our pool heated-that was the year orlando had record rainfall-plus it was very cool-but we still could swim in the pool. We werre on a corner lot and the people around the corner did not have their's heated(apparantely). They would walk out on their patio, look at us in our pool, walk over and feel their water and stare at us and then go in their villa. They did this several times while we were there. I wanted to shout at them it is called have your pool heated. When we returned at Easter in 2000 ( easter was as late as it could be that year) we still had the pool heated, because the evenings were cool. This past Dec. we were there from before Christmas thru the first week of Jan and had the pool heated and weswam every day/and or evening- a few days it was only in the 60's but the sun was warm and the water was heavenly. This of course is my opinion. Even my 16 DS who does not like to swim swam quite a bit or played a mean game of water volleyball. [8D]

hamptonlakes
27-02-2004, 17:48
I have to say that i have been to florida in the summer and i like having the heat on in the pool so come rain or shine the pool heat is on when i stay @ my villa[msnsmile2]

Herbie
15-03-2004, 00:14
Hipplec

If you turn right out of Westridge and head down to the I4 junction you will come to a range of eateries (excluding burger places). Just before the I4 is a Dennys (so so), while just over the intersection is a Bob Evans, China Buffet (v.good) and a Perkins.

We also went to the Magic Kingdom on Christmas Day just for the experience. We knew it would be busy - and it was . People started queing late morning to watch the 2.00pm parade! If you do chance a visit then go to guest relations on arrival and book a table for somewhere to eat otherwise the queues wil be impossible.

If we are ever over at Christmas again we would probably go to
Sea World on Christmas Day. We were there on Christmas Eve and there was much more of a Christmas atmosphere.

ps. Pool heating is a must !

Herbie