PDA

View Full Version : Key West

DISNEYDIVA
15-02-2004, 03:47
I passionatly want to go to Key West during our holiday this year, does anyone know of a coach trip/tour company that goes there. I am thinking a two day/one night, iv'e only ever seen trips to Key Largo with dolphin swims. [msncry]

blott
15-02-2004, 04:04
Yes, we went on one from Miami but unfortunately I can't remember the name of the company. Hotel concierges in the Miami area all have leaflets about these type of tours but that doesn't help you! You could try these
Greyhound Lines (the new Keys Shuttle)
(800) 229-9424
runs a special Keys shuttle three or four times a day (depending on the day of the week) between MIA (departing from Concourse E, lower level) and stops throughout the Keys. The fare is $31 one-way ($60 round-trip) to Key West.

Southernmost Shuttle
1-800-390-7176

Party Tours
(305) 553-2099

However, if you want to stop off in specific places, you may do better by driving or flying down and then arranging hotels separately.

You should be aware that Key West isn't a kiddie destination, particularly at night.

If you do get there, make sure that you take the Conch Train tour which is absolutely fascinating and you can hop on and off at various locations around the town and don't miss the Sunset Ceremony in Mallory Square every night! Info at http://www.sunsetcelebration.org/

esprit
15-02-2004, 04:17
It is a long way to drive for just one night, a lot of it on the boring old Turnpike. If you are going, go at your leisure, drive down for a couple of days and stay over, no point in doing it in a rush. What time of the year? We went in August and it was sweltering. much hotter than Orlando. It still has a vaguely hippie feel to it and is quite differnt to anything else you will experience. To get the real feel, you need to go into the bars etc, nothing much at all there for kids. Most things are more expensive than in Orlando , including hotels.

kevinprewett
15-02-2004, 12:04
Hi,
did you know they run a high speed ferry from the dock at Ft.Myers beach to Key West. Matbe you could stay over in that area and go frm there.[msncool]

DISNEYDIVA
15-02-2004, 12:59
It will be early October, and i would like to go mid holiday just hubby and me to recharge our batteries and give the newly weds some time to their selves and our hyperactive 4 yr old granddaughter
(what a selfish grandmother am i)
I want romance, sunsets and a few beers with a bit of night life.
It would be difficult to drive as i am the sort of person who shuts her eyes when going over the Humber Bridge and hubby only passed his test last year.
I will check out the Greyhound and i hadn't thought of ferry's.
Thanks for all you ideas. [msnsmile2]

esprit
15-02-2004, 22:04
Ah, it is a very long causeway...... Yes I see the problem!! October should be fine.

poet123
19-02-2004, 15:19
just checked out the link for the ferry. Departs 8am arrives KW 11am departs KW 5pm Arrives FORT myers 8.30pm Cost one way!! $70 return $115 you can stay over and return 1/2 days later with a ret ticket. Trip runs every day weather permitting booking advisable but you can just turn up and be lucky. Link www.keywestferry.com We are stayinf in FM area second week and I really wanted to see KW too so we will be doing this trip if you go first let meknow how it goes!!!!!!! hope this is useful
Gwen

kevinprewett
19-02-2004, 18:04
quote:Originally posted by poet123

just checked out the link for the ferry. Departs 8am arrives KW 11am departs KW 5pm Arrives FORT myers 8.30pm Cost one way!! $70 return $115 you can stay over and return 1/2 days later with a ret ticket. Trip runs every day weather permitting booking advisable but you can just turn up and be lucky. Link www.keywestferry.com We are stayinf in FM area second week and I really wanted to see KW too so we will be doing this trip if you go first let meknow how it goes!!!!!!! hope this is useful
Gwen

It's a great trip! we've done it three times, you'll love it![msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

disney dreamin
19-02-2004, 20:41
It is definately worth a trip on the ferry - early start and late finish so I would recommend at least one night in Key West. The return trip is lovely though - sunset on the way.

There were dolphins too when we went and that is always worth any amount of money or early morning......

DISNEYDIVA
19-02-2004, 22:10
Thanks for that folks, after much sulking on my behalf hubby dug out last Orlando trip brochures from 2002, where he promptly found a coach tour 'The Best of Key West' operated by Gator Tours. 2day/1night $197.00 per adult, includes Everglades, Miami bayside/sightseeing cruise and south beach, overnight in Key West,trolly tour, champagne sunset catamaran cruise and return transfers from Orlando. I have e-mailed Orlando tourist sites to see if this company still operates.
With a bit of luck we may get there yet.
[msnwink]

DISNEYDIVA
20-02-2004, 20:43
[msncry]This company still operates (found their website) but no Key West trip [msncry] back to plan B.