PDA

View Full Version : Short Stay in Miami

Narrator
25-02-2013, 10:59
Hello everybody, we are staying in Rotonda in August for three weeks (can't wait) but thought it might be fun to drive down to Miami and stay for a couple of nights. There will be three of us, me, my wife and 15 year old daughter and we are looking for a beach front hotel. Budget around £160 in total. Has anybody got any recommendations or advice? Thank you!!

Clare R
25-02-2013, 12:42
Presume this is not a round-trip to Miami from Rotonda - it is a long, boring drive.

Narrator
25-02-2013, 13:08
it is, but I was thinking of taking the Tamiami Trail, might be a bit more interesting?

Clare R
25-02-2013, 13:34
Marginally in my view. It is two hours south to Naples, a further two hours across to Miami - each to their own !

Can't help you with hotels in Miami but be aware that Miami Beach is yet another step on from Miami itself.

Katys Grandad
25-02-2013, 13:59
it is, but I was thinking of taking the Tamiami Trail, might be a bit more interesting?

The best that be said about the US41 route is that it's slightly more scenic than I75 but that's because I75 is just about the most tedious route around.

You should be able to find acceptable accomodation on that budget although spending a little more would be advisable. You might struggle to get anything beachfront though.

florida4sun
25-02-2013, 15:01
If it were me I would stay at The Biltmore hotel, Coral Gables just outside Miami. Stunning hotel but the prices can vary from good to very pricey, you have to catch it right. I have stayed in Miami but would not recommend where we stayed (on the strip in one of those 'historic' art deco hotels). Your looking around $200 a night for 2 queen beds, if you book in advance.

Pookie
25-02-2013, 16:00
I think the first time travelling across 41 will be interesting, there are places to pull in where you may see the odd Alligator snoozing in the shade and lots of birds.

There is also a visitors center half way, worth a stop.

Hotels I would also recommend Coral Gables, in August you may find some good deals especially if you book in advance.

Have fun in Rotonda, the beaches are fantastic as is the golf.

Lynne

ian
25-02-2013, 17:28
Have a look at Circa39 hotel - quirky, but clean and good location.

eagleydo
25-02-2013, 19:05
We loved the journey via Tamiami Trail, will be taking that trip again next year so that more members of my family can enjoy. Coral Gables, lovely place to stay - Miami was not my favourite visit though loved the airport.

Mo Green
26-02-2013, 10:32
A guest of mine drove from Rotonda to Miami and stayed at Mondrian, A Morgans Hotel last summer. I believe they said it cost around £160 for a suite with balcony and sofa bed in living room. I would avoid staying on South Beach, particularly at weekends, as it can be very noisy until early hours of the morning. Personally I don't mind the drive from Rotonda. When we have done it we stop for lunch at a Cracker Barrel just before crossing to Miami and the journey seems less boring than driving on a motorway in England. As Lynne said there are places to pull over and plenty of birds and wildlife to see.

Katys Grandad
26-02-2013, 10:47
Is the "total budget" £160 per night or, as I read it, for the 2 night stay? 2 nights beachfront for £160 is going to be very hard to find.

Gerry Reed
26-02-2013, 12:12
We stayed in a apt complex call Barbizon. Fantastic position right on Ocean Drive, South Beach, but quite old as all art deco building. That can cause some problems - small rooms and not the ensuites etc we expect now days !. I would recommend it for a night or two as the situation is so good for both the beach and restaurants but not so good if you intend to spend lots of time in doors.

This is the link
http://www.floridasouthbeachrentals.com/

Sue

Narrator
26-02-2013, 12:54
Thanks so much everyone for your tips and recommendations, as is usual from this forum. Katys Grandad – I was thinking of £160 in total but having looked at the recommendations from Martin, Lynne, Ian and Christine, Jan, Maurice and Sue I will be looking to see if I can put a bit more aside – perhaps only eating out at the Olive Garden two nights a week instead of 3 or 4. Lynne and Jan, thank you for putting my mind at rest about the drive, its so reassuring when you hear from people who have done it and enjoyed it. Armed with my new information I will now draw up plans for the two day holiday within a holiday!!!!
Many thanks again you wonderful people.
Tony

Pookie
26-02-2013, 16:14
Glad to be of help, we are for the most a friendly old bunch, enjoy your trip and the planning.

Lynne

Tonish
26-02-2013, 16:16
Can I put in a shout for the Surfcomber on Miami Beach? We haven't stayed there ourselves for quite a few years, but it was a great location and we really liked it at the time - just the right size and a proper art deco hotel. The recent reviews on trip advisor look good.